Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:53 pm

Lovely grub being posted/eaten on here, all looking and sounding delicious.

Typically simple things for moi recently, so black bean pie (plus soup from same filling), smoked haddock with cheat boulangere new pot slices, YPs filled with English winter veg.

Some tortellini - after seeing a recipe for cooking from frozen in a single layer in a skillet with very shallow water/oil and leaving to absorb water then brown the base for a minute or so, served dressed rather than swimming in sauce.

Mussels tonight.
---

Our fishmonger had some red snapper last week. Anyone know anything about it? If it's like tilappia, I imagine it's a whole one per person? Ta.

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:41 pm

Jeral,

Hope this assists ..

Red Snapper is a common fish variety in the Caribbean & The Gulf of Mexico regions and the Sea of Cortez ..

It is a less delicate than Sea Bream .. However, it is similar in color with a rose cast on silver scales, and can be sublime and exquisite if prepared properly and fresh.

I am sure Joan could provide you with a récipe as she had spent some time in The Caribbean to the best of my knowledge.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Wierd. I posted a reply, and it got lost in cypberspace.
Red Snapper ( called " Pargo" here in Venezuela) is a very popular fish; s popular, of course, that it has effectively disappeared from the culinary map, unless you pay in $$$$.
It is a white-fleshed fish, few bones, slightly sweetish flesh. The sea bream grows far bigger than the red snapper - but then you might, just remotely, contract ciguatera from a sea bream, which you would not from a red snapper.
You´ll need a 400 - 500 gms fish for one portion - if the fish is whole. Otherwise, a portion of 150 gms is fine.
Try poaching the fish in olive oil, then slathering it with a quick-cooked tomato, garlic and caper sauce.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:41 pm

I like red snapper on a bed of vegetables which must include fennel bulbs and a, not compulsory , splash of pastis in a foild parcel and baked until everything is tender,
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 am

If we eat out at a place that has red snapper on the menu, Tony always says it's got "me" on the menu.

Tilapia I find a bit muddy, Jeral.
Snappers are much fresher.
PS: always get your fishmonger to descale your fish.

I last cooked it with a preserved lemon salsa verde.

Postby Amyw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Good idea for a new thread Gil and nice to differentiate between what people are cooking and what they they have while eating out

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks Amy.

Tonight will be prawn pasta.
I guess penne, as Tony has come back from the shops with penne pasta, although I've got so many packets in the cupboard already.

Postby Amyw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Forgot to put what I’ve eaten though . Monday was a portion of savoury mince from the freezer with mashed swede and carrot . Tuesday I made a standard risotto with spinach served through a tv the very end , along a bit of smoked haddock . I do love smoked haddock , one of my favourite fish .

Yesterday I made some vegetarian scotch eggs using defrosted Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausages . Used a mix of oats and breadcrumbs , plus a little grated Parmesan for the coating and baked . Very nice indeed .

Today is going to be some Moroccan meatballs using turkey mince . Not sure to have couscous or rice with it . Couscous feels more appropriate but I do find it a bit tedious sometimes

Postby jeral » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:39 pm

First thanks to karadekoolaid for info incl. weight pp and t'others too for cooking tips for red snapper. Fingers crossed fishmonger has some this week so I can do one of my unique composite concoctions :D Fishmonger is very good by the way about scales, fins, tail-trim and even gutting via the top (something I'd need a darn sight better knife for).

Gillthepainter mentioned a cupboard full of pasta shapes. Ditto here & lasagne sheets. I realised only a week or so ago that I'd totally left behind the joy and delight of Lady and the Tramp spaghetti having been brainwashed into which shape catches the sauce better. I decided "blow that for a while" as slurping strands is much more fun :mrgreen:

Amyw, for your Scotch eggs, what do you glue your coating mix with please?

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Snap Amy! Wednesday was smoked haddock here too - we seem to be having quite a bit of it lately.
Thursday night was pork shoulder steaks with a very creamy mustard sauce & tagliatelle - comfort food again! And last night I stuffed a mahooosive squid with black puddn' stuffing & slow cooked it on top of tomato sauce on the hob & had some jasmin rice to go with - & very :yum it was too.

Tonight will be the remains of a cottage pie we had earlier in the week with oven chips - easy peasy!

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Last night I cooked sausages in white wine and we had them with crispy onion mash and courgettes. Fresh pineapple with a little kirsch afterwards.

The 2 extra sausages were made into a Dutch salad with red kidney beans, apple, celery, tomato and cucumber and some cubed old Gouda cheese with a mustardy dressing.

Tonight I'm going Bahamian with fried flat fish, peas n' rice and fried ripe plantain.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 am

Snap! here too, but for sausages with you Joan.
Not a huge fan, but when Tony gets a yearning for something, I just go with it. :gonzo

We like the Heck brand, not overly meaty for me, so I don't wake up in the morning still feeling full.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:02 pm

We get our sausages from our butcher. They are extremely meaty but have very little fat and are quite tasty. I am not a great sausage fan either but I quite like them cooked this way because they are juicy.

I have choucroute for tonight with more porky things to go with it.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Another snappo! We like the Heck sausages too - took a long tasting of other sausages before we settled on them after the lovely Porkinson Banger disappeared into the ether! I'm not a huge sausage fan but that was my favourite - it's amazing how most of these 'award-winning' bangers from various butchers are so mundane to grotty!

I think tonight will be something involving the chicken breasts that are lurking in the fridge.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:21 pm

We of course can get the Gloucester Old Spot sausages at our local butcher.
You have to get there early, as they're all sold by midday.
They were bland as bland can be once, which I mentioned when I went in again. They said - "it was you!". At the end of the day, they'd realised a batch had been made up without any seasoning in it.

Sandwiches tonight when we get back from the flicks - I'll probly be eating chicken too. Chicken mayo. Or I'll get salmon and some cream cheese.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:37 pm

With all this talk of sausages, I had an urge for a sausage roll (as in crusty roll, not pastry), but unfortunately the sausages in Tesco seemed to be mostly rusk. Oddly the worst offenders were the branded "Richmond" ones, with only 42% pork. I'll know to avoid them in future.

Resolved it today, courtesy of a trip to Sainos - really crusty baguette and 97% pork Cumberland sausages. I keep saying "fab", but it certainly hit the spot, fab.

I've also been fantasising about Joan's ginger nut dessert since she mentioned it a while back, and I've just got round to making it. It seems it was a bit of a star turn back in the day, I guess it was too simple to end up in "The Prawn Cocktail Years". Technically I suppose it shouldn't even really be in this thread, as there's no actual cooking involved ;-) although I could pretend that I made the ginger nuts - my homemade ginger nuts are every bit as good as shop-bought ones.

Anyway, here it is, and it was great, although apparently it's supposed to be chilled for 6 hours. You've got to be kidding me!!!! It lasted approximately 20 seconds.

Two bargains: firstly Tesco's cheapo ginger nuts are only 25p a pack and are very spicy.

Secondly, Tesco's own brand green ginger wine is only £3.50 to Stones at £6.50 (didn't have Crabbies in stock). I haven't done a side by side tasting, but I can vouch for the Tesco stuff, and I'm developing a bit of a taste for it, having been "testing" it whilst making my Ginger Surprise. I did a dummy run on the ginger nuts alone yesterday, to see how much ginger wine they'd absorb.

Finished it off with some toasted flaked almonds as well as the crystallised ginger.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Oomph...…& Ooooomph….!!

I don't know why,( yes I do) but every time you wrote 'ginger nuts' I grinned - writing it down makes me grin...…….Okay - I'll get back behind the bike shed!

:D

Postby Renee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Oooh that does look good Sakks! All gone after all that work?

Tesco Finest sausages are excellent, also Asda's Finest. I rarely buy them, but I get a sudden craving! Did anyone see the programme where a factory was visited and the whole process of making sausages was filmed? It was Heck sausages and I was most impressed.

I made a small amount of Seville orange marmalade this afternoon. It was a different recipe to Delia's which I used to use. I omitted the gin.

https://www.booths.co.uk/recipe/seville ... -with-gin/

Now I have ginger nuts, ginger wine and crystallised ginger on my mind!

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:21 am

I used to buy Porkinson's sausages. Me being non-meat, I went by smell and amount of fat exuded (not much at all) and they seemed to be liked. It's sad that good things don't always survive. The local butcher makes jalapeno saus sometimes which are liked. Anyone had those?

Made today a dinner dish plate by ... sauteeing spot of leek in cumin, ginger, then adding sweet corn, small button mush pieces spot of garlic and thyme, then coconut milk with turmeric and nutmeg. Separately a few mini vine leaves stuffed with seasoned rice (tinned) sauteed with baby plum toms and black olives. Warmed pita bread.

I fancy a homemade veg-topped pizza tomorrow, if I clear enough counter space. Has anyone ever tried pizza flinging? Hoping mine won't be worthy of no more than garden frisby flinging ;)
Last edited by jeral on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Renee » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:26 am

What a lovely meal jeral! I've seen the tinned vine leaves, but never thought to try them.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox