Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:51 pm

We entertained friends for lunch today.

The menu was:
Smoked mackerel rillettes with salad and cornichons and rye bread toast.

Osso Bucco with risotto Milanaise

Green salad with cheeses

Profiteroles with chocolste sauce and filled with chocolate creme pat
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:03 pm

Nothing special yesterday - it was "laid back" Sunday!
I did make a couple of batches of soup, however, because the temperature has dropped by 20°F over the past few days.
Carrot and Tomato with fennel, and a Roasted Root Vegetable soup with Moroccan spices.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:08 pm

I made roasted butternut squash and tomato soup for lunch and will take some across to our neighbour who is still struggling after a serious RTA over 2 years ago.

There's a pot roast of the nearest cut to bisket in the oven right now for tonight.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:39 am

Niece is back for the weekend and it’s my mums birthday next week so we are hosting a family get together

Chicken Tikka Massalla
Pork Penang
Beef Chinese Curry

Naan breads and popadoms with bits from the local curry house

Oh and sweet and sour chicken for my dad

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:58 am

I do love to read about all the lovely meals that you are preparing.

I made Boeuf Bourguignon yesterday with some very nice cut up lean Scotch beef from Sainsbury's. I will freeze some down.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 am

Last night I did pan-fried cod fillets with platain chips and Parmesan fennel. Naughty rum babas afterwards.

Tonight I have boudin blanc which i will serve with roquefort sauce and bubble and squeak cakes. I've got some crepes in the feezer so I'll make a blueberry compote to fill them.

I'm being taken out for lunch tomorrow.

Postby dennispc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Did I mention I'd been to Symi? ;)

Realised their big bean dish, was just baked beans. So had a go with hake and beans. Unlike them I cooked the fish separately so the whiteness of the fish would display better.

Big beans.jpg

Postby Binky » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:32 pm

That looks yum.

We are having slow cooker coq au vin (again) with baked spuds and broccoli.

Apfel strudel for pud (bought this morning from the baker on the market), with cream. And a few glasses of wine :wino

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Lovely sounding grub!
Yesterday was a very satisfying yellow/green split pea soup - absolutely :yum especially with the torrent of rain outside. Tonight I'm in the middle of preparing the pork for a panang curry, & tmrw I have fresh mussels to go with a seafood linguine....more :yum.....oomph!!

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:31 pm

I’m being very lazy and having a takeaway tonight as hospital tonight . Think I’m going to go a brinjal bhaji as a main with mushroom rice and raita and poppadoms . Gluten free lager in the fridge

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Have you got a stash to take in with you Amyw? Hospitals and "Friends of ..." kiosks are not big on accommodating intolerances, assuming you'll be allowed to eat.

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Amyw wrote:I’m being very lazy and having a takeaway tonight as hospital tonight . Think I’m going to go a brinjal bhaji as a main with mushroom rice and raita and poppadoms . Gluten free lager in the fridge

Hope it all goes well tomorrow. Make sure you take some boiled sweets with you as your mouth will be too dry to manage much else after surgery.

Take it easy and I’ll pass on some advice that was given to me by my practice nurse- feeling better and feeling fit for work are two very different things.

Back on topic, for breakfast we had croissants with cheese, avjar plus salami for OH. I’ve also just made a lovely batch of cheese scones with a few chopped pepperdews in the mix. Don’t think I’ll want much if anything for tea!

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Ah that’s a good tip smitch thank you . Jeral the hospital offer gluten free menus if I have to stay in and the last time I can eat is half 6 tomorrow morning anyway so I’ll be fine. Can’t imagine my appetite will be up too much anyway

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:06 pm

All the best Amyw!

I've had some tasty meals this week, but this lunchtime was an odd first. I was making some bread rolls (6 instead of my usual 5), and suddenly got an urge for pizza, however there was nothing meaty in the fridge and I didn't fancy just veg, so I grabbed a handful of prawns, and made my first ever seafood pizza (although it was loads of veg as well) with that 6th lump of dough.

Probably Fuchsia's Dry Fried Chicken tonight, which leaves a leg portion and wing for some kind of coq au vin-ishness tomorrow, and some extra breast meat for some Singaporeish noodles Tuesday.

Postby dennispc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Baked a wholemeal this morning, overnight mix using frozen fresh yeast. Nothing special in bread making, but it's my first loaf in many months. Lovely to smell freshly baked bread in the house.

Postby Renee » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Tonight I made a Malaysian curry using Mak Tok's Satay Chilli Paste, a tin of coconut milk and lime juice.

You might have seen young William Chew, the founder of Mak Tok on Dragons Den recently. When he came over to the UK to study, he really missed his mum's chilli paste, so asked her to send the best ingredients from Malaysia and later he founded Mak Tok.

https://www.maktok.com/

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:46 pm

That looks delish, Renée!
I´m cooking very little at the moment because I´ve got to cater a wedding next week - so I´m haring around the place looking for ingredients. Lots of fun things , but I think the best will be the cold bar, where we´re going to offer tuna tartare, ceviche and a classic prawn cocktail!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:46 pm

That looks tasty, Renee, although I have an aversion to whole raw tomatoes being served with anything, even if they are baby ones.

I'd probably have quartered them lengthwise and incorporated some other salad ingredient - probably onion in the case of your Malaysian style meal.

Postby Renee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:20 pm

I had intended to have pak choi with it, but couldn't find it in Asda, but it's back in stock, so I'll be able to have it tonight with the leftover curry. The tomatoes were very small and sweet and were in a mixed pack from Waitrose.

Good luck with the wedding catering next week KK! The cold bar sounds lovely and i would enjoy all of those.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:38 pm

With Tesco "Stockwell" PLAIN flour at 45p for 1.5kg, and their normal strong bread flour at £1, I thought I'd do a side-by-side bakeoff to compare bread rolls made with both.

The results are so close that I'm not even going to bother saying which is which! Three are Stockwell Plain, three are Tesco Strong.

I thought it was peculiar, so I checked the protein content of the Stockwell flour, and it is 10.1%, which is not far off what some bona fide strong flours are. The Tesco strong flour was 11.7%.

So the price of my breakfast rolls has just plummeted from 31p for 5 to 18p for 5.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox