Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:46 am

I did the tahini salmon tonight (instead of last night). I used courgettes instead of spinach and thought they worked well (didn't have any spinach). I loved the tahini sauce but wasn't so gone on the spices with salmon, even though I like that combination usually. I served it with a sort of vegetable pilaf utilising risotto rice and water I had given the saffron from my cake a second soaking in. It worked well.
There's enough of everything left to make into a stuffing for the end of a squash which has been lurking for a while tomorrow.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Last night was belly pork with new potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower purée and a couple of asparagus spears from the garden.
Later on we had our usual cheese and crackers.

Tonight will be farm shop sausages with HM oven chips and a tin of mushy peas.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Pork belly sounds good Wordsworth.

We’ve got a couple of fillet steaks from the butchers for tonight. I’ve already made some celeriac purée to reheat. With asparagus and tenderstem. We’ll probably make a red wine sauce too. I can’t really be bothered though to be honest...I’d rather have a piece of toast and go to bed! I’ll hopefully pep up a bit while it’s cooking.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:55 pm

smitch wrote:I made a lovely rhubarb frangipane recently https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/desserts/rhubarb-frangipane-tart

Sorry I meant to add...this sounded gorgeous! We’ve got plenty of rhubarb so we’ll definitely make this over the coming weeks.

Postby dennispc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Salad from a couple of days ago. Love salad, have it most days.

salad.jpg

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Tonight is the rest of the belly pork, served cold, with this spicy rice
https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproj ... piced-rice

I have made it before, it's delicious.

Postby Amyw » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:44 pm

I love mixed salads like that Dennis and that's rice sounds very good too.

Pixel up some reduced sea bass fillets from £8.00 to £2 something with a cheese and chive crumb from Marks. Might just serve with tender stem broccoli tonight

Postby herbidacious » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 pm

I made a throwback (to my childhood) poor man's largely store cupboard trifle. Essentially, swiss roll (a lemon filled one OH had bought) with blood orange juice, runny homemade marmalade, bananas (raison d'etre of the trifle - very very ripe), custard. Served with cream. Custard was Bird's - three years out of date :o (But unopened.)

Ça marche. But the custard just sat on the top. Would have preferred it to have tickled down.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm with you on the salads.
And yes, trifle reminds me of my childhood. My mum was a dab hand.

I've just defrosted some autumn apple pieces,
but since they are in fact celeriac (my writing was illegible) we are having celeriac and cauliflower soup tonight.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:22 pm

I made a stew a couple of days ago - it's one there are loads of variations on, so I freestyled a bit, but in essence it consists of a spicy tomato sauce in which you cook chickpeas and chunk of browned aubergine

I made the sauce with a can of plum tomatoes, onion, garlic, a little jar of Sainsbury chargrilled red pepper paste - which wasn't quite what I was expecting, I was expecting a kind of ajvar, and this had bits of onion in it and wasn't very charred
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... -paste-90g

Onions, garlic, spices and herbs of course

I skinned the chickpeas, as an experiment (shan't bother again) and cooked them in the pressure cooker until quite soft in fact arguably slightly overdone

First portion was delicious when eaten fresh, but when I went back to it the chickpeas had toughened up and gone slightly crunchy - not very nice

The sauce doesn't taste specially acidic - I didn't need to add sugar - but my guess is it's the vinegar in the pepper paste that has caused the problem

Anyone else encountered this change with pulses?

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
I skinned the chickpeas, as an experiment (shan't bother again) and cooked them in the pressure cooker until quite soft in fact arguably slightly overdone

Did you skin them after soaking them?
Ever since we had a thread on hummus on Wildies and you or someone (maybe it was Felicity in the Guardian) mentioned skinning chickpeas for the perfect result I've often wondered how different our hummus would be if I did, but I'm afraid it's another of those "life's too short" reactions! Even in these strange covid days :lol:
Peeling blanched almonds is about as far as I can manage!!

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Tonight is lasagne and green salad.
I use the Hairy Bikers recipe for the ragu.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:44 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:

Did you skin them after soaking them?

Yes, one of the recipes Ilooked at (Sonia Uvezian) recommended it as standard Armenian practice

A lot of work - the excess cooked chickpeas did make very nice hummus, but then so does making best use of a food processor,

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:09 pm

Yesterday we slow cooked a chilli for hours, plus a mild version for the girls. Served with rice, lime wedges, salad.

Lunch was mussels with shallots, garlic, parsley, white wine..with crusty bread.

Dinner was Nigel Slaters chicken thighs marinaded in evoo, lemon, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Flattened and cooked on a hot griddle pan. We served it with a plate of chargrilled veg (sliced courgette, aubergine, peppers and mushrooms), new potatoes, chopped gem lettuce and coleslaw.

Dessert will be a piece of dark chocolate and a couple of strawberries.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Tonight will be Chetna Makan's veg koftas.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 pm

I made a vegetable balti 2 weeks ago with chickpeas, didnt skin them, froze half which we had yesterday (cheered up with some fresh spinach stirred through) and there was no difference in the chick-peas at all.

Tonight is HM beef burgers and HM chunky oven chips and salad.

Postby Luca » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:54 pm

What a lot of delicious sounding meals.

Tonight I’m going to concoct something with chicken breast, chorizo, tomatoes and potatoes, perhaps some garlic too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 pm

ChinchillaLady wrote:I made a vegetable balti 2 weeks ago with chickpeas, didnt skin them, froze half which we had yesterday (cheered up with some fresh spinach stirred through) and there was no difference in the chick-peas at all.

Tonight is HM beef burgers and HM chunky oven chips and salad.

Thanks, I often make my favourite tamarind chickpea curry, which is of course quite acidic, and the chickpeas stay nice and soft however I store it, so I think the culprit probably was the red pepper paste, which I do not recommend, and will not buy again myself

I'm having a burger too but in my case it's a bought burger (Morrison's with bone marrow, they are very good) and a home made burger bun, no chips can't double carb - that's not virtue, just don't have a big enough appetite

Postby Amyw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:47 pm

I always struggle with a roll and chips while eating burger and chips . I usually forego the roll and have the chips though , as I find a lot of burger rolls not nice .

I had an individual cauliflower cheese pie from Lidl’s tonight with roasted veg . The filling was lovely but very rich and I couldn’t manage all of it . Luckily pie is another thing I don’t double carb with , the veg was more than enough as a side

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:37 pm

Pork steaks with a creamy mushroom sauce tonight, with sautéed potatoes and spring greens.

We had a Tesco delivery yesterday and an Abel and Cole delivery today...both ordered weeks ago. I’ve started to lose track of what’s coming when, due to the long delay with delivery slots. So now we have a fridge heaving with food but no coherent thoughts on what to make with it all. I usually shop with some sort of meal plan. Might start a thread for some ideas. Tomorrow though when I can be bothered to look at it all.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox