Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:34 am

Yes I've still got the salmon tahini dish on my mind to do.

Amy, that looks so lovely.
And squeaky halloumi on the bbq, OMCO. Cannot be bettered.

I made a chicken tikka dish last night. With a raita side and tomatoes.

Postby smitch » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:16 am

I think we’re having macaroni cheese with salad tonight. Meant to do it yesterday but my migraine came back and I didn’t feel like it. We ended up having bought quiche with a jacket spud, which I really enjoyed.

The night before, I made a veggie version of a sausage and cabbage pasta dish from the Sainsburys website. My husband suggested it and I wasn’t sure at first but really enjoyed it.

Not sure about Sunday, maybe the gram flour and carrot pancakes posted elsewhere on this board.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:06 am

Inspired by mention of them somewhere on here...... I made Glamorgan sausages yesterday. I did amend them a bit substituting marjoram for thyme and adding some crushed garlic (I'm having a bit of a garlic craving at the moment). I was not sure if 'he' would eat them but the loved them ! A bit of a faff but as time is easy at the moment.... 2 leftover which I will reheat in the George foreman.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:11 am

That looks lovely Amy. I didn't know such things as battered cod nuggets were available. Birds Eye used to do 'Fish Balls' many years ago which were similar and lovely.

I've gone for quick and easy over the past couple of days. Yesterday was baked beans (I seem to have acquired a lot), Helen Browning sausages, tomatoes and mushrooms and a small number of chunky oven chips to use up my last potato.

I'd forgotten about the Tahini salmon. A piece of salmon is now defrosting.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:41 pm

I made a simple tomato and artichoke stew yesterday, with potatoes. Nothing else !
But then I decided to make Sunflower´s Cheesecake. No berries, unfortunately, so I had to use what was on hand - a pineapple. Blitzed with a bit of sugar, thickened with a bit of cornflour, made the perfect topping. And the cheesecake was divine!
Dinner was artichoke leaves and some celery soup I made too much of on Wednesday!!

Postby halfateabag » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:33 pm

I took some skinless ckx. thighs out of the DF this morning and had half a large pot of greek yogurt that needed using so added some tandoori spice, a crushed clove of garlic and a squirt of lime juice and mixed them together, that will be 4 portions in a few days time. Also out of the DF came 2 salmon portions, I re-filled my spice racks and found some smoked chilli (ground) so that is supper sorted for tonight.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Sunflower´s Cheesecake

It's a good one! She's an excellent baker.

Postby Lokelani » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:43 pm

I made the Za'atar, sumac, tahini salmon recipe last night but with butterflied chicken breasts & savoy cabbage instead of spinach. I cooked it all in a pan on the hob. Didn't weigh anything out, just used what I deemed a sensible amount of each ingredient, a sprinkle of this & a dollop of that. Served with bulgar wheat. We both really enjoyed it and will try it again with salmon. :-)

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Tonight is swordfish a la Hairy Bikers with new potatoes and a fennel and radish salad.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:34 am

It's a good one! She's an excellent baker.

I gave some to my neighbours yesterday. Johnny came back today and said he´s going to buy the ingredients, providing I make it. Community spirit, right? :lol: :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:00 am

Good on that neighbour, or is it verging on cheeky!

Wwordworth, I adore radishes. I've got a cold pasta salad recipe that uses them that needs doing again.
Is swordfish something you do regularly, I don't even think I've seen it in the shops.

Lokelani, thanks for making the recipe.
I've not been to the shops yet, but am planning a big run today or tomorrow.

Last night, pinchos with red pepper on the skewers (the southern spanish one with curry in it), and an egg & tomato salad. I am now out of eggs, but don't need to panic about it.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:02 am

That looks gorgeous Gill, very summery . WhT is the salad , eggs, tomatoes , basil and EVOO?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:17 am

That's exactly it.
Now I'm a fan of egg mayonnaise as a starter, actually I'm a fan of eggy anything.
Leaves would have been too much I thought.

Tomatoes at last have a guaranteed taste and colour. We now have months to come of excellent tomatoes no matter where you buy them - hurrah.
I drizzled evoo and lemon over the top of the salad, without tossing as those eggs wouldn't have taken it.

The pinchos are marinated in a little curry powder, 1 x lemon juice, ginger, paprika (cos that's what was rattling in my fridge sort of thing). They're not spicy.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:18 am

Prawns have featured a couple of times this week, probably because I'm lusting after fresh fish too - I could go down to the fishmonger but it's a small shop & can get very busy, so I don't think that's a good idea - don't know how long I'll be able to hold out - fortunately my freezer is well stocked with their big prawns, so last night was Thai prawn curry & prawn risotto earlier in the week. Chicken has featured quite a bit too & beef meatballs one night with linguine.
Just off to do the char sui marinade that two pork fillets can sit in all day.
Anyone else feeling food-ed out.....?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Can you preorder from your fishmonger Lush? We’ve been doing that at the butchers and fishmongers and telling them when we’ll collect and paying over the phone/online. Our fishmonger has also started delivering a couple of days per week.

I’m currently cooking the filling for a chicken, pancetta and leek pie. I added a decent splash of Riesling and was about to pour a glass for myself when I realised it was only 12.30 :shock: To be fair I’ve been up since 6.30 and I thought it was much later in the day. Better hold off for a couple more hours :D

I’m pondering desert for later. The rhubarb is out of control so I might poach some for us to have with yoghurt. With something crunchy too. I could make some shortbread or something. Any other thoughts?

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:09 pm

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:23 pm

That looks gorgeous I love rhubarb

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:15 pm

Tomato, feta and thyme puff pastry tart with a scattering of capers. May drizzle with some rather old and thus thick and concentrated balsamic vinegear (I think it's a fruit - pear?- one from Lidl from a long time ago. but good.) Last year's tomatoes cooked wiht garlic and smoked oil, this year's thyme, some extra raw tomatoes on top (hope they cook) from a veggie box. There was supposed to be aubergine in it too, but the aubergines were very seedy so decided to salt, which meant I couldn't get them ready in time. I am cooking the aubergines now. I aave a feeling they are going to be delicious. Will be added to something tomorrow.

I am out of dessert :o I relly ought to stop eating them anyway. Or could whip up some of my mango mousse mix...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 pm

sounds great, Herbi :thumbsup

we had Waitrose quiche with home-made hummus, salad and new potatoes, followed by crumble - a jar of old plums I found in the cupboard and an ancient Bramley from the bottom of the fridge.
In my efforts to conserve that scarce resource, flour, I made the crumble mix with some normal flour, oats, polenta and some gluten free flour I had got off a friend when I had to make a gluten free cake for another friend!

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:13 pm

There's a fish man who parks up at the farm shop every Saturday and he had swordfish steaks yesterday.
It isn't my favourite but it's nice if you want something different.

He's usually there twice a month but there are no markets at the moment so he's there every week, which is great.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox