Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Renee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:23 am

Good heavens WF!!! You are both still young and energetic! What a lovely photo of you both.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Pampy wrote:Going back to the posts on vine leaves - I noticed today that Lidl had tinned Eridanous Greek vine leaves in store.

Most of the Eridanous stuff seems to be decent but last time I was in they had no Eridanous feta, the PDO Greek feta is now branded as Milbona, their main dairy label. Haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure it will be fine

Postby Alexandria » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Whitefield Foodie,

Wow .. Lovely photo .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:53 pm

WFF - if you think that´s past your prime; BOY! Have you got a lot to go through! :gonzo :gonzo
I´m just short of 67. Keep going. Cutting the grass is a doddle, I said to myself last week - until I slipped unceremoniously down the hill with the grass cutter .....
Just before Christmas, I got an emergency call from the restaurant (where I do Food Courses). "HELP! The chef just walked out and we´ve got a Xmas lunch on Thursday!" :shock:
What the heck. Get in there. Do it.
I did. Not my best service, but the punters were happy.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell"
You´re only past your best when you mistake a glass of Coke for a pint of stout :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Could have been nasty, Clive. :o
I've never had a twinge in my life, till this last year. It's taken a year to get over a trapped nerve from lifting weights, coupled with referral pain in the lower back.
Touch wood, I think I'm now clear of it all. And can get back to days without moaning and whinging all the time. :limbobanana
You're certainly in your prime WFF, and Mrs WFF.

& tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be Lady Gaga
it's going to be fish cakes, with tomato & rocket. Nice and spring-like outside, so I don't feel out of sync making a salad.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I´m just short of 67.

You're but a spring chicken.....…….plenty of life in the old dog yet!!!!

I wonder what you'd get if you coupled a spring chicken with an old dog...….. :?!?! :twisted:

Anyway, it's all in the mind, if you're fortunate...…...otherwise...…………..it's ******* life!

Tonight it's bangers & mash - last night was a lovely green salad with tomato/feta that went alongside a lasagne (hm) pulled out from the freezer - spring's a'coming…………….!

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:03 pm

Simple grub here too lately - I wish I looked as young and vibrant on it as the handsome WhitefieldFoodie and his lovely Tiff do! Congrats to the happy couple of course, although that's gotta be a photo for your own album W. :)

So, I've made baked lemon/herb gilthead bream (no snapper yet, but I'll keep looking in); winter veg toad; fresh tuna (ginger/soy); roasted Med-veg puff pastry tart, and veg tortellini (packet) with mussel sauce tonight. Something Indian-style tomorrow as the okra looks good just now.

You folks have been eating some superb food 8-)

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:55 am

The beef roast I cooked for M's birthday on Saturday lasted until last evening, with a Sunday lunch in between.

Fresh YPs and onion gravy on Monday to go with the thin cut cold meat, cauliflower puree and shredded kale, I made an apple and blueberry crumble for dessert
Yesterday the last of the beef was turned into cottage pie with carrot and parsnip sticks then the rest of the crumble.

Tonight it's calve's liver with orange and pilaf rice.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:21 pm

My dish last night will not garner accolades from such devoted foodies, but I made a mushroom risotto for dinner. Hardly a recipe, but it's the first meal I have prepared, cooked and cleared away myself since October last year. I have been very unwell and hubby has been doing everything in the house, and that includes the catering.

Chopping onion, slicing mushrooms, opening the arborio rice packet, sloshing in some martini, grating parmesan....this was extremely therapeutic for me. I hadn't realised how much I missed the kitchen routine and the simple pleasure of preparing food for a loved one.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Sounds absolutely delightful. I crave mushroom risotto - when I can get my hands on some decent mushrooms!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Binky. Well done :newhuggy

I am glad you are feeling up to it.I love mushroom risotto and I am so gld you found joy in both eating and making it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Risotto sounds great Binky, and the achievement even more rewarding

I made Ma Po Tofu last night, served with jasmine rice and tender stem broccoli with oyster sauce. The broccoli standing in for gai lan., Chinese broccoli. So leftovers tonight, might try to think of a veg side dish.

I got whole grain (brown) jasmine rice, because I could. Don’t think I’ll bother again. Another thing not to repeat is drinking a glass of red Rioja after Ma Po Tofu - fights with a hot-and-numbing sauce

Postby Pampy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:48 pm

I just love mushroom risotto. I've always used white wine but martini sounds like something I'll definitely try.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 pm

I often use vermouth in risotto or other cooking, especially fish, if there’s no white wine open, there’s usually a bottle in the fridge for drinking and cooking, it keeps for ages.

My personal preference is for the French ones, Noilly Prat or Dolin but Martini is good too, and supermarket own brands are fine, certainly for cooking but also for drinking in many cases

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm another that always has some Noilly in - really useful adding a slug or two to all sorts of dishes - jumped up in price lately tho'.

Binky...... :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:58 pm

There is always a bottle of Noilly in this house too. Mind there is almost a bottle of wine wine open in the fridge as well.

At lunch time we tried a Japanese dish from Picard - tempura veg topped with praens but the cooking renedered the prawns tough and dry so we won't be buying that again.

Tonight I'm going to make chicken moghali with extra bits, maybe a garlic and coriander naan.

Postby Pampy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:06 pm

I always have vermouth in - usually Martini. I don't drink white wine so buy small bottles for cooking (usually 187 ml).

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:57 am

I bought some Noilly P some years ago, specifically for a Rambo recipe.
One glass added into a pot of poaching water.

It didn't add anything to the taste at all, but I followed the method blindly.
Still, it's not gone to waste over the subsequent years.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:19 am

Putting Noilly into poaching water would dilute it into 'nothing' = may as well not be there, it certainly wouldn't add anything. Best way of using it is straight into a dish as you would white wine.

Silly Rambo...……..!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:46 am

Correct on all counts, Lushers.

Can't find the recipe now, ah well.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox