Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 04, 2020 3:43 pm

The Spruce is American and I think if they meant what we call a grill they’d call it a broiler - not sure what a “grill wok” is but I think a British grill and common sense timing should work?

ah googled grill wok - original cooking instructions are for using a perforated metal basket on an outdoor BBQ grill

https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/shop/eggc ... XWEALw_wcB

Postby dennispc » Mon May 04, 2020 4:26 pm

Renee, a bit late, but the salad consisted of things that needed using up in the fridge.

Bed of romaine lettuce, plus some spinach, though could’ve been mixed leaf. Orange segments, mango slices, orange segments and chopped tomatoes.

Coleslaw is chopped onion, red cabbage, grated carrot, few sultanas and Helmans mayo.

Back pantry had some ancient bulgar wheat, added chopped dried fruit, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Postby Amyw » Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pm

Sounds delicious , I really like fruit in salads .

Made a very lazy cheat meal . Homemade pretty overdone oven wedges with a spicy vegetable stew , onions, mushrooms peppers sweet corn , lots of garlic , paprika , chilli flakes and a slug of Tabasco . Student food at its Finest

Postby RockyBVI » Mon May 04, 2020 9:45 pm

Looks good AmyW!

On Saturday we didn’t fancy the steaks so had roasted veg - OH had it with pasta and I had some mashed potato. We fancied comfort food. Had the steaks last night. Tonight is going to be a noodle stir fry with stacks of veg and a piece of mahi mahi each. I’ve also made some hummus this morning so might have a snack of that.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Roasted to melt-in the-mouth point, orange-fleshed sweet potato slices with barrel-aged feta and smoked EVOO for lunch. Simple, but very delicious. (And colourful.)

Postby jeral » Tue May 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Thanks Stokey Sue re tandoori cod, as I missed the broiler thing so used the grill on higher heat for some pieces. It sort of worked, i.e. the fish was nicely cooked (using common sense) but the yoghurty marinade I made was too thick (to me), so I scraped it off and shallow fried the rest. I definitely need to tweak it if it's not to be relegated, but it did achieve the objective of being different so more success than failure.

Beansprouts in the freezer will necessarily be plunged straight into boiling water later, or more particularly into boiling broth made with whatever concoction of appropriate ingredients tastes right. A slice or two of smoked salmon is defrosting for afternoon tea sandwiches meanwhile.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed May 06, 2020 7:46 pm

We made stock with Sunday’s chicken which was used for minestrone on Monday night.

Last night was a dull pasta bake which the kids love so we have it every now and again.

Lunch today was griddled courgettes, yellow peppers and pine nuts with sautéed potatoes, spring greens and nduja. All served with a fried egg and a blob of wild garlic pesto. Looked frightful but tasted great.

Tonight we’re having prawn risotto with lemon, leeks, white wine, peas etc.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu May 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Lunch was crusty bread rubbed with garlic and topped with a salsa of tomatoes, basil, red onion, chilli and basil oil and nduja. Piled on the bread with a little grated mozzarella and put under the grill.

Dinner will revolve around some wild pigeon breasts, probably with a port or red wine sauce. We have some spring greens and potatoes. It’s too hot to think about it now...we’ll eat late when the kids are in bed I think.

Postby mistakened » Thu May 07, 2020 4:35 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:It’s too hot to think about it now...

I thought that you lived in the UK or are you away at present.
We are having Asparagus & Cheese Tart, I will make a Green Salad and Tomato ditto to go with it, Strawberries to follow.

Postby Amyw » Thu May 07, 2020 4:45 pm

?? It’s very hot in the UK so what OMCO has said makes perfect sense

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Even in lockdown you go on producing fabulous meals OMCO!

I have got cauliflower, broccoli and milk to use up, plus two sausages. I think a cauli/broccoli cheese with diced sausage will fit the bill nicely.

Postby Renee » Thu May 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks very much Dennis for the salad ingredients. I love fruit with salad!

You're all eating lovely food!

I had leftovers for lunch today. Spinach gnocchi, with part homemade tomato sauce and grated parmesan.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu May 07, 2020 6:23 pm

I am in the UK! It was probably only 21 degrees or so outside, but I was working in the conservatory and I was hot and bothered :lol:

Plenty of boring meals here EM, believe me!

That gnocchi looks fabulous, Renee.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 07, 2020 6:52 pm

I will have kidney’ds tonight, ast they had pig kidneys in Morrison’s and I have some sherry hanging round I don’t much like so I can make a nice sauce

Postby smitch » Thu May 07, 2020 8:48 pm

Didn’t bother with breakfast as I wasn’t hungry.

We went to our vets in the other side of Manchester to collect aenid’s ashes. Whilst we were there, I called into the nice bakery/deli and picked up some sourdough bread and a couple of poppyseed bagels.

Dinner was the bagels filled with melted smoked cheese, sauerkraut and pastrami for OH. I had a slice of veggie ‘speck’ style seitan.

Tea is almost ready, I fell asleep earlier so is a bit later than normal. We’re having M&S plant kitchen kievs with broccoli and chunks of roasted potato. Eton Mess for pud if we’re still hungry.

Postby Amyw » Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 pm

That's funny smitch. I need to go to the bank tomorrow and was thinking of popping into M&S to pick up the plant kitchen kievs. They're absolutely gorgeous and I'd defy any meat eater to find the difference

Postby smitch » Thu May 07, 2020 10:38 pm

My omni OH loves the kievs, he was really pleased when he spotted them in the fridge.

I hadn’t intended to go to M&S but we tried 4 other supermarkets and the queues were ridiculous. We desperately needed stuff for the guinea pigs so had to go somewhere. The queue at M&S was about 20 mins long but was inside the air conditioned shop rather than outside in the full sun like the Sainsburys next door. Think everyone was stocking up for the bank holiday weekend.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 08, 2020 12:34 am

Amyw wrote:That's funny smitch. I need to go to the bank tomorrow and was thinking of popping into M&S to pick up the plant kitchen kievs. They're absolutely gorgeous and I'd defy any meat eater to find the difference

Tomorrow is a Bank Holiday - will the bank be open?

Postby Amyw » Fri May 08, 2020 1:09 pm

Ah god no it won’t will it !! I’ve just finished a 72 hour shift so brain fried . Just on my way down too!

Postby smitch » Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Brunch was giant American-style blueberry pancakes, served with maple syrup and extra fruit on the side. Really good, will definitely make them again but am sooooo full now :lol:

Think we’re going to have loaded fries of some kind for tea tonight. I have some Linda McCartney ‘pulled pork’ in the freezer so think I’ll use that with peppers, onions and sauces.

Hope everyone has a restful bank holiday

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox