Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:18 pm

messy kitchen
...especially when you're making two sauces to go with it..

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:01 am

Wow; that´s the best-looking plate of canneloni I´ve seen for years. Or perhaps ever!

Homemade pasta is just so, so superior to the bought stuff. And yes, it is a faff, but I´m more and more inspired by the Pasta Grannies to make some. My Kitchen Aid has got a few pasta settings which will make it worthwhile. Make a couple of kilos, in different formats, and freeze it.
(NOTE TO SELF: a new task for lockdown)

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:22 am

Noice! = nice one, squirrel!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 am

Lovely pasta Sakkarin

Some time ago I bought some chopped ox heart and ended up made a chilli with it so this time I bought the heart intentionally to make an even better chilli, better because I remembered I had a can of chipotles in adobo so I used half of it (quite a big can) and cooked it in my pressure cooker. Very nice and several portions for the freezer

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:52 am

I'm making chilli tonight, as I really fancy some rice.
If I see chipotles in Waitrose, I'll add them then.

I have carte blanche to use any beans I want. Tony always wants the kidneys. But I prefer pinto.
I know I could put 2 types of beans on the side, his 'n hers - but I prefer chilli as an All Inclusive one pot, so a shared decision as to which beans to use is taken.
So pinto it is tonight.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 am

As a standby, Sainos do a jar of 45g chipotle flakes for £1. And ancho flakes, although only 27g for some reason.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am

ta!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 pm

Steenbergs do good chipotle flakes, which I have, but I saw the can in the Spice Shop in Brighton last year and added it to my basket

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:03 am

Well that was a rather nice addition. I'll keep some in the cupboard from now on.

Same again tonight. With rice, ha!

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:06 am

I tend to use them whenever chilli flakes are called for. I am a bit of a smoked food fiend.

Postby halfateabag » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:38 am

Me too Herb. Anything smoked, the more smoked the better!

I bought smoked paprika sausage in Germany the day before yesterday, will be having it for supper after our midday BBQ today.

Dashed into Carrefour night before last and found local french sausages, some very meaty ribs and some lumps of local pork. I have marinated the pork ribs have given them a quick boil with some potatoes (for potato salad). the lumps of pork have been threaded onto skewers with slices of onion and we have a salad of red and yellow/green peppers, a mooli type radish, greek onion (they are so sweet) ridge cucumber from my green house, chopped mange tout from the garden. I have 'real' greek pitta type (circular) breads. I bought some different cheeses in Germany and France.

If anyone has any room left and wants pud, there is a chocolate thingy in the DF.

We will be feeding our wonderful cat sitters and recounting tales of our Greek adventure - 2 go mad in Europe !

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 pm

How lovely Zosh. You are giving me foreign supermarket envy. Come September... (I hope!) I don;t have much desire to go to a British one...

I hope the cats are 'talking' to you!

I ended up roasting aubergines and courgettes from the garden (having done the lick test with the courgettes first :o ) and some slightly wrinkly shop bought peppers - onions, garlic, thyme, tin of tomatoes, generous dollop of sundried tomato paste, pinenuts. It was oilier than it should have been, but thus probably nicer than it might have been. I ate a bowlful with half a ball of mozzarella.

If my aubergines get blight too, I will have had a good crop. About 6 big ones so far and lots on their way on the plants. I am wondering if my pepper plants have it. Some look a bit droopy. Peppers big but emphatically green.

eek I hope my inca berries don't succumb.

Sorry. Obssessed...

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm

I just had a three tomato, two basil and mozarella salad with balsamic and smoked olive oil. Might as well enjoy the tomatoes while I can.
I am now eating a very bad Jamaican ginger cake 'trifle' - single portion - cake, tinned peaches (!) a dollop of dark, treacley homemade thick cut marmalade, custard single cream. It's pretty good. Is comfort food by nature fattening?

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:35 pm

Lunch was left-over tuna salad from yesterday evening (for which I sliced the egg with my trusty egg slicer ;) ) mixed up with the end of yesterday's potato salad, with a delicious salad of finely grated carrots (for some reason, I seemed to have at least 3 lbs in the fridge!), grated apple and raisins with vinaigrette dressing.

Finished off with some goat's cheese log on the other half of the packet of Tesco's Finest Beetroot and Seed crackers left over from a couple of days ago.

Iced decaff earl grey tea, again, but this time with some freshly squeezed lemon instead of elderflower cordial, and topped up with a little fizzy water :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:48 pm

That tea sounds lovely (even though I am not a tea drinker).

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Yes the tea does sound great.

Tony just wants a sandwich tonight - so I've cooked my noodles, and will have a sauteed fresh prawn and noodle stir fry. I just dress it with soy sauce and lime.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 pm

herbidacious wrote:That tea sounds lovely (even though I am not a tea drinker).

Maybe I can convert you :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm

A really quick question and I don´t know where to put it, except here!

If I make a scone mixture today, can I stick it in the fridge (or the freezer) and make the scones fresh on Friday morning?
For some reason or other I´ve never done that before - always made them fresh.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:01 pm

I've always been taught that the raising agent activates as soon as liquid is added and that the item should be cooked as soon as possible afterwards. For that reason, I wouldn't keep the mixture hanging about for 2 days. Not sure if freezing halts the process though.

Postby Linnet » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:39 pm

I've often done the dry mix in advance, and then added the liquid just before baking. But if the liquid has been added, as EM says, I certainly would not keep it.
Can you bake the scones, and then freeze them? Refresh in the oven before using....

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox