Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:42 am

Cannelloni tonight.
I sometimes do a simpler version by pouring tinned tomato over the pasta rolls, topped with some cream & parmesan. Rather than making a bechamel.
Gino tip.
Depending what time I get home, I'll decide on which stylee to make.

Postby dennispc » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Cod and beans, another recipe from OH’s nutritionist.

Cod was fine, but chicken stock with beans and fish didn’t work for me. Next time, if it’s got to be chicken stock, then I’ll do it my way and not follow the recipe!

cod & beans.jpg

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:00 pm

I agree with you there Dennis - chicken stock wouldn't do it for me either - a light tomato sauce with the beans etc. in & cod atop would be better if Mrs D can have tomato sauce - or failing that the beans with a light dressing of evoo/herbs lemon etc.

Asian spag bol with pork mince & udon noodles here last night - I was a bit (mucho) heavy handed with the chilli - all good tho'.
Tonight will be smoked haddock after a windy walk to the fishmongers earlier!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:08 pm

There’s a thing some chefs and cooks have about putting chicken stock in everything to give it a background flavour even where it’s not required - I’ve seen it used in soup recipes that 1.would be vegan without 2. also contain enough curry powder or other strong spice to render it a waste of chicken stock

It’s an ingredient I often ignore or substitute

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:37 pm

Supper tonight is Jamie O’s sticky onion tart (sort of onion tarte tatin) ... I’ve cooked the onions in the sugar/vinegar mixture and it’s beautifully sticky ... it’s cool now but I’ll pop it into a hot oven in a while to heat it through then pop a homemade rough puff pastry topping on and finish it in the oven. I’ve not used this recipe before but so far so good ...

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:There’s a thing some chefs and cooks have about putting chicken stock in everything to give it a background flavour even where it’s not required - I’ve seen it used in soup recipes that 1.would be vegan without 2. also contain enough curry powder or other strong spice to render it a waste of chicken stock

I absolutely agree, Sue.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:15 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:There’s a thing some chefs and cooks have about putting chicken stock in everything to give it a background flavour even where it’s not required - I’ve seen it used in soup recipes that 1.would be vegan without 2. also contain enough curry powder or other strong spice to render it a waste of chicken stock

I absolutely agree, Sue.

Ditto.

All depends on the dish and cooking method. Water and a sprinkle of salt is often absolutely fine or even preferable IMO.

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:59 pm

Suffs wrote:Supper tonight is Jamie O’s sticky onion tart (sort of onion tarte tatin) ... I’ve cooked the onions in the sugar/vinegar mixture and it’s beautifully sticky ... it’s cool now but I’ll pop it into a hot oven in a while to heat it through then pop a homemade rough puff pastry topping on and finish it in the oven. I’ve not used this recipe before but so far so good ...

Yum yum yum ... absolutely delicious ... served with a wedge of Brie de meaux and a salad of homegrown radicchio with vinaigrette. OH said it’s better than Christmas dinner and I can cook it again as soon as I like. Very little washing up too :thumbsup

Postby Amyw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:44 pm

JO gets a lot of stick but I find his recipes always very good

Postby Kacey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:10 pm

Well its Friday night so its veggie burger, chips, onion rings and stuffed jalapeno peppers, just like we'd have if we'd gone to the pub!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 pm

Love the sound of that sticky onion tart.

Coffees and bacon sandwiches from the deli this morning before a wet and spooky walk through the forest spotting Halloween stuff.

Cajun chicken flatbread with salad for lunch in the pub next to the forest.

Family swim early evening before pizzas, chips and salad in the gym bar.

Will hopefully cook something tomorrow :D

Postby dennispc » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Interesting comments about chicken stock - never thought about it before, but I’m pleased to have produced decent flavours in other dishes without it.

Mrs D would be fine with tomato sauce, which I make in batches, but not too often.

Luscious, I think your suggestion of a herb and lemon sauce is a good one, though I think butter beans might need to be marinated with it for a while. They didn’t absorb any flavour at all, maybe I should try a different bean.

We had a tomato and bean dish in Symi which was delicious, but afterwards wondered whether they added sugar to the dish.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:03 pm

And I thought chicken stock was an American thing!
I´ve got a book called "Hot Pasta" where almost all the recipes have got chicken stock in them. Crab ravioli, gingered seafood, salmon, browned butter scallops, aubergine & peppers - all with chicken stock. Yuk!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Definitely marinade the beans Dennis - the longer the better as they do soak up whatever flavours you put with them - all beans do, but especially butter beans - put them in a little evo first to prevent sticking - I usually use soaked, dried & cooked beans, but if using tinned make sure to warm them well in the oil & let them sit & steep in it before adding to the marinade - they absorb so much more that way & 'amalgamate'.

I have no idea what's occuring for dinner tonight - it's foul weather out there so something casserole-y.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:08 pm

Following the success of the keema cottage pie the other week I'm going to have a bash at the chickpea and feta pie tonight.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... ottage-pie

It will be served with a green salad.
Might chuck a couple of potato wedges in, seeing as the oven will be on.

Postby smitch » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:42 pm

That pie looks great. Let us know how it turns out, might have a go myself

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:52 pm

As I suggested earlier, I served it with green salad and a few wedges.

I didn't follow the recipe exactly
I had quite a few leaves of filo pastry so I did an enclosed pie rather than a pastry topping
My block of feta was 200g not 150g, I used all of it
I failed to purchase chargrilled peppers so I used sweet little peppers from a jar.
I used spearmint from the garden, I would say mint of some sort is essential.

The accompaniment was Craig Charles funk and soul on Radio 6.

It was delicious.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:00 pm

The pie sounds delicious.

Breakfast was boiled egg and soldiers.

Salt and chilli squid for lunch with mixed leaves.

Chicken pomodoro for dinner with tomato and basil spaghetti. Plus the last of the mixed salad leaves dressed with balsamic.

There’s some open brie and blacksticks blue in the fridge from a week or so ago. OH would eat it weeks after opening but I’ll give it a sniff and a nibble before deciding if I fancy some with a glass of wine shortly!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:03 pm

A surprise lunch yesterday: Samosas and shami kababs; Pork Vindaloo, Kerala style shrimp, mung dal, aloo saag and Basmati with lemon. That was fun!

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:06 pm

karadekoolaid, a feast indeed. For the shami kababs, is this Rick Stein recipe anything like please:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shami_kebabs_34462
Two things, if made as veggie, could mushrooms replace the lamb, or something else? and, Rick's diameter size is 4cm which would be unmanageably small. Any reason they can't be made wider?
Ta.

Here today will be veg filled Yorkshire puds with gravy and oven string fries with roughly chopped mango chutney as dip.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox