Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:41 pm

Usually runner beans, frozen during the glut.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:23 pm

Here's the recipe - I use French, round, beans or bobby beans, but you could use those pale green stringless beans (Helda) I think, though scarlet runners would be the wrong texture

I think the second helping of garlic should be mustard seeds

https://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asi ... c0321.html

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:01 pm

Lovely. Thank you both.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Lasagne and salad, shortly.
I use the Hairy Bikers ragu recipe.

Followed by virtual drinks with our pals in Scotland :D

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:09 pm

the second helping of garlic should be mustard seeds

Well spotted :)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm

That Malaysian beef curry looks amazing.

We had party food on Thursday for youngest daughters 2nd birthday. Last night we had shepherds pie with roast carrots, kale and pickled red cabbage. Tonight was sausage, kale and gnocchi one pot from the BBC good food site.

Tomorrow morning we have promised the kids buttermilk pancakes with honeycomb butter (using a crunchy). Then straight out to walk or cycle off the sugar rush!

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:53 pm

We had this delicious chicken dish tonight.
I'm keeping the stock for my next ragu or risotto, whichever comes first.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... dy-recipes

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:48 pm

I really rate Rachel Roddy.

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:49 am

Today I baked a lovely fresh gilthead bream, whole, which is always a delight. This was with marinade of EVOO, citrus, herbs, shallot, garlic, cider vinegar and cherry toms. To be honest, I usually skip the shallot and garlic and find it no sad loss, preferring a sage or thyme & onion stuffing alongside, so some of that will accompany tomorrow's "half".

Some snack size phyllo pastry samosa-style parcels tomorrow with squash and spinach, or Plan B being 4" pie/tarts if I get into a muddle with the pastry sheets ;)

Postby Kacey » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:37 pm

I saw that Rachel Roddy recipe when Guardian Word of Mouth dropped into my inbox. I know I don't pay too much attention to her non veggie recipes but I did vaguely wonder why she'd spoil good figs by shoving them in a chicken dish. Duh! :roll:

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:06 pm

I doubt chicken and figs would have come up as a pairing on the dominoes thread, but maybe don't knock it till you've tried it? Can't say that combo is something I'd rush to try, but maybe someone will and report back...

Mind you, in these days of paying £0.50 per item (plum, tom or whatever) maybe it's no surprise that experimenting causes more hesitation these days. It's not as if you can say "Here's a fig (or plum). Make it last!" ;)

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:39 pm

Kacey wrote:I saw that Rachel Roddy recipe when Guardian Word of Mouth dropped into my inbox. I know I don't pay too much attention to her non veggie recipes but I did vaguely wonder why she'd spoil good figs by shoving them in a chicken dish. Duh! :roll:

Ha, I thought that too, the first time I read it! I take it you didn't make the fig tart too :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:43 pm

I own up to thinking it too!

I think a chicken dish with dried figs could work very well.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:53 pm

Yes, that's true, EM, I'm sure Claudia Roden has a chicken tagine with figs in Arabesque. I must look ....

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 am

Chicken and figs work just fine - and why shouldn´t they? Chicken and pineapple, chicken with peaches, ham with pineapple, pork with apple sauce, turkey with cranberries, duck with plums - there are tons of combinations ( and good combinations) of meat with fruit. I once ate some exquisite pork chops ( and I´m NOT a meat eater) in an apricot sauce. The pigs had been fed nothing else but apricots for two weeks before they were slaughtered. My goodness were they good!

Like Jeral said - don´t knock it till you´ve tried it. A whole mile ahead of turkey with bread sauce :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:26 pm

Tonight I had quite a mixture of veg and ideas gleaned from watching tv this week.

It all started last Friday, watching Phil 'whatsisname' on ITV explaining how to cook a pork chop and keep it moist ... he sprinkled his chops with a 50/50 mix of salt and sugar and black pepper, left for 20 mins, then just fried for about 5 minutes each side and left to rest for the same time. I thought I had a couple of pork chops languishing in the bottom of the freezer - found them, de-frosted them and discovered it wasn't pork chops, but a lump end of a pork (cut unknown) .. I cut off all the fat sliced it into chop thickness and followed the instructions from Phil .

Yesterday I was interested to see what the young couple of chefs Rick Stein interviewed on his programme did with some potatoes; Sliced, then tossed with oil and plenty of finely chopped garlic, laid out in a single layer on a tray and roasted in the oven until crispy. I added sweet potato to the white ones.

I had the white half of a large leek left over from my last Oddbox delivery, so I finely sliced it and baked in the oven with some oil, plenty of black pepper and half a carton of cream cheese. I also had half a courgette that I griddled while the rest of the veg was cooking ............

So tonight's meal was the pork, the potatoes, courgette and leeks - oh and instead of apple sauce for the pork I added a large spoon of Carrot jam, made at Christmas from a recipe in the Oddbox to use up a glut of carrots (it was meant to be eaten with a baked camembert)

I gave the chef 10/10 :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 pm

Definitely 5 ***** Pat :thumbsup :yum

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 pm

Sounds good Patsy!

We made some of Jamie Oliver’s granola dust a few weeks ago and it’s gone into smoothies and pancakes so far this week. The pancakes had cinnamon, grated pear and blueberries added to the batter too - very nice and they felt relatively healthy as far as pancakes go.

Last night we had salmon (fresh and smoked) pasta with lemon, cream, parmesan, spinach and peas.

Tonight we’ve had lamb and pearl barley casserole topped with feta and parsley dumplings. Lots of veg in the pot too and we finished it all with a sprinkling of gremolata.

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:05 pm

3/10 here for effort versus PatsyMFagan as I used my leek and potato (and shallots, garlic) for soup. 7/10 for mucking about.

I read on vegan sites that using oat milk was a good sub for creaminess and gave the soup a nutty taste, which I thought improbable, so decided to play and grilled some rolled oats and added those with ordinary milk (rice milk that I have isn't the best for this sort of thing).

Being cold weather, I also added few slivers of a green Kenya finger chilli and an actual clove or three and left to meld. (Note to self: must grind some cloves.) Tasted fine to me, but a fair way from "proper" methinks ;) Some vegan recipes add nutritional yeast, although I'm not sure cheese has an integrated place in this soup, though good by way of a separate cheesey crouton.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:40 am

Definitely 11/10, Patsy! I like the sound of the potatoes - will be on my menu in the not too distant future.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox