Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:01 pm

I much prefer the giant couscous .

I’ve never tried it but apparently you can couscous for breakfast . I’ve seen hot water and milk mixed together then added to the couscous to soak then fruit , honey etc added.

I used it once in a stuffing before with roast chicken , I think maybe a JO recipe ?? Whoever it was , it was very nice , I remember it being Morrocanish with some spicing and dried fruit .

Thanks all , salad was lovely . I love big salads like that , full of goodness , flavour and different textures

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I haven't seen Giant couscous anywhere yet.

I get it once in a while when I do a Sainsbury's online order. Asda used to but they've stopped now.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm

Amyw wrote:
I used it once in a stuffing before with roast chicken , I think maybe a JO recipe ?? Whoever it was , it was very nice , I remember it being Morrocanish with some spicing and dried fruit .

One of the discounters - Lidl or Aldi (can't remember which) - sells a snack pot of "Moroccan" couscous, with fruit and spices - it's lovely. It probably wouldn't be difficult to turn it into a stuffing.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:54 pm

All very delicious and v interesting - often find great ideas here :D

Gruney, at first glance I'm surprised your recipe turned out so underwhelming with all those spices. You probably were too. Bit of a strange hybrid recipe on closer reading but I can see what NS was trying for - Christmassy port and prunes with spices but can also totally see why it flopped - he should have toasted the spices straight off and omg that's a huge amount of port and prunes! :shock: Hope you weren't too miffed - it's supposed to be a festive dish and TBH looks more of a concept piece than greatly t&t'ed :? Btw what is that beeb site? Says it's in beta?

I too have a mini pasta mountain but it does keep for ages and we are slowly getting through it. Mainly cassarece (fave), wholewheat penne and ww spaghetti. Have an extra box of lasagna which winks at me every time I open my flour, grains and pasta bin but always gets passed up :| as I have been entranced by fresh lasagna using the pasta maker. Should really use up the box - have been making lasagnas a lot and freezing into portions after the dinner's worth is eaten.

Been thinking of green pasta too, Stokey, but diy.
Anyone checked out the River Cafe pasta book? Well worth a look. Some really great recipes there.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:22 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Btw what is that beeb site? Says it's in beta?

I saw him make it on, I think, the Food Channel, "Nigel Slater's 12 Days of Christmas", and thought it looked the sort of thing that would hit the spot. I googled up the recipe, and it came up with what I posted - sorry, I can't be any more helpful than that. As I said, it wasn't unpleasant - it just wasn't what I was hoping for.

Postby halfateabag » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 am

I'm opposite, Orzo is like rice - hence it's name, I just did not know I had so much. I like the way sauces stick to it.

The risotto was soooooo lush! really enjoyed it, and there is more to eat :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:29 pm

Last night we had (Mamta's) lamb saag, a favourite.

Hoping the fish man will be in the village later.
In a perfect world he will have fresh mackerel and we will have that tonight with salad and baby potatoes.

ETA
Fish man wasn't there so tonight will be baked sausages with salad and baby potatoes in a big bowl.
Last edited by WWordsworth on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby dennispc » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:15 pm

OMCO, that’s my type of meal, looked great and have cut\pasted the pancake recipe. Thank you.

Never seen giant couscous, but regularly make a salad with the usual size, adding whatever’s in the fridge. Or use bulgar wheat instead.

Salmon and veg, which looks a bit dried out, but wasn’t.

salmon.jpg

I took it a week or so ago, meant to follow up Mitch’s useful comment about plant based food.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:36 pm

Yesterday, there were only 3 salmon fillets left, but 3 of us for lunch, so I made salmon fishcakes, using a BBC recipe. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/best-salmon-fish-cakesVery easy to make, very tasty!

Salmon Cakes.jpg
Salmon Cakes.jpg (577.04 KiB) Viewed 3658 times

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:28 pm

I keep meaning to get some giant couscous, as it's an Israeli/Palestininain thing you'd think it would be easy to find round here

It's so different from ordinary couscous I don't feel the need to wait until I've run out

I use ordinary (hydrated) couscous or occasionally bulghar as the starchy padding when making things like stuffed veg with mince, especially if it's leftover cooked meat, a better texture imo than either rice or breadcrumbs

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:47 pm

Yeah I think they’re totally different things . Can’t remember the last time I had ordinary couscous . I love most grains really .

Tonight’s dinner was baked salmon , sweet potato wedges with paprika , steamed cauliflower and carrots and a dollop of pesto

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:27 pm

I quite like the giant cous cous too, the one I've had was the Palestinian Zaytoun brand. A (long closed) deli in town used to sell it, haven't bumped into it recently.

ETA

The popular grain in this house in late 2020 has been the wild and long grain mix. Red rice was a hit in salads in the summer.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:48 pm

My housemate introduced me to wild rice last year as she always serves it with curry . Although I think I still prefer basmati with curry , the wild rice is very good and I imagine nice in salads . Have never tried red rice ... maybe I should start a grain thread or a mod could move some of these posts over to create one ?

Postby ShotleyGirl62 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Big cooking session for me over the past 2 days, on Sunday I made Bolognese, slow cooked lamb, then yesterday, made moussaka and Thai green curry - now that we have 2 freezers, yes NBM finally relented late last year and we got an under counter freezer (!) so was able to fill both up with enough meals for at least the next 2 weeks :clap :clap

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Working on my iron level at the moment as I'm donating blood in a few days.
I failed the iron test at one session last year so now I am careful what I consume in the lead up.

Tonight is chickpea curry.
Might have some paneer added, not up to me as I'm not the chef tonight.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:44 am

You've been going some, Shotley.

Did you get your delicious paneer, WWordsworth. Another ingredient I love in an Indian.

As Tony was polishing off the last of the pickles, I had the last of my green mountain lentils last night with pepper, little tomatoes, and chilli. Bit of hummus on the side, that I get tired of when I've had it a couple of times.
I must find an alternative.
I prefer the Puy lentils, and will make my shopping replacement accordingly. I'm still not sure if I prefer my lentils presoaked and plumped up, or not either.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:06 pm

Got the paneer thanks Gill :)

Celeriac soup for lunch.

Dinner is smoked salmon steaks, served with tagliatelle and a green salad.
I will soften some onion, garlic and red pepper in olive oil and stir it through the pasta.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:25 pm

I froze the legs from Christmas Day duck in some of the duck fat. Today I’m using them in a cassoulet with Cumberland sausages, onions, celery and carrots, a few tomatoes and a load of butter beans I soaked overnight then hooked for ten mins. We had some Gruyere to use up so I've grated that and mixed it with breadcrumbs to make a topping to add later. Creamy mashed potatoes and the last of the Christmas sprouts will be lovely with that. There’ll be enough cassoulet for four portions so I’ll freeze half of it for later.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:41 pm

I’m using them in a cassoulet

Snap(ish)! The pickings from the goose carcase, plus some offcuts of bacon and 'Toulouse style' sausage will be cooked with home grown dried beans, goose stock and stock veg this week.

Probably for Sunday; served with sprouts, roast parsnips and spuds. :D

Postby Suffs » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:55 pm

BM :hi5: :wino

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox