Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:21 pm

Yes roasted slices of sweet potato are/should be delicious, especially if you cook them until they begin to caramelize a little. I have them like that, with crumbeld feta and a little lemon flavoured/other nice olive oil and maybe a litttle fresh thyme and lots of black pepper.

The rice and spinach thing had solidified nicely and did taste even better today imo. Had with assorted peas and beans from the garden with it.

I have also made a cherry clafoutis. I am not feeling confident about it. Very distracted, headachy and generally a bit of a rubbish person today and was not concentrating, but I had prepared the cherries last Thurssday (!) to do it and sensed it was today or waste them. (They were macerating in one of my favourite bowls on the surface when the kithcen unit came down on top, but miraculously survived. Clearly there was a zone on the counter which the cupboard missed, as all my bottles of oil that were out survived too, thank goodness. Imagine the mess if not... The wooden floor would have been ruined. Although the plastic one and some seasalt were a bit crushed.)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 pm

Yikes Herbi! Hope there’s not too much damage. I’ve only made cherry clafoutis once and I remember I kept cooking it as I was convinced it was under done...I remember posting on the beeb board asking if it was supposed to be a bit soggy...apparently it was :lol:

Last night we had pork chops with a peppercorn brandy sauce, some teeny new potatoes and green beans.

Tonight teriyaki salmon and broccoli with spicy noodles and sesame aubergine.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 am

I don´t normally bother with competitions or online "Challenges", because I´ve never won anything in my life. Still, it´s lockdown, so I might have nothing better to do.
There´s a local company which makes dairy products from buffalo milk: cheeses (including a very good Gouda), mozzarella, bocconcini, burrata, ricotta, yoghurt and a few other things. I´ve used their products for years,so...
I decided to go for it. I used their yoghurt to make raita and a creamy tomato sauce which I´d normally use for Malai Kofta. Then I pressed the ricotta until it was firm, cut it into squares, and made a Saag Paneer - spinach with fried cheese, Put them all together and published on Instagram.
At least I had a good lunch!

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Did you flavour the ricotta, karadekoolaid? I dislike its tastelessness, or maybe it's a natural lack of saltiness, like eating bread without salt.

I'm planning a mushroom and sage flat tart on a tray with some cherry toms, plus broccoli with a spot of grated cheese side.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Lunch was pasta with broad beans, crispy bacon, parsley and grated parmesan.

Dinner will be Tesco cod in breadcrumbs (RTC) with potato salad and mixed salad.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:57 pm

H/m flatbread last night with falafel, hummus, pickled chillies, shredded gem lettuce, yoghurt and grilled halloumi.

Rib eye steaks tonight with grilled thyme and sea salt tomatoes, garlicky portobello mushrooms, a few olives and cubes of feta and a handful of wilted chard. We put the chard in the oven tray (under the grill top layer of toms and mushrooms) for the last few mins of cooking - so the tomato and mushroom juices dropped on to it as it wilted. Some of the edges of chard were a tiny bit burnt but instead of spoiling it, it was really lovely.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:15 pm

I’ve not posted much as I’ve been on a cycle of rolling leftovers and things cooked previously and retrieved from the freezer

Tonight’s recovered dish was a sour chickpea curry which was eaten with a cabbage and carrot thoran (S Indian stir fried spiced veg) as I finally got some curry leaves. Bit of rice as well

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:28 pm

A few years ago there was a telly programme called Kew on a Plate. Raymond Blanc was one of the presenters. They grew heritage varieties of fruit & veg at Kew Gardens and RB demonstrated some recipes with them. I bought the book of the series at the time but hadn't done anything from it until the other day. Made the pea risotto recipe, using two sorts of mangetouts with the peas instead of the baby courgettes and radishes of the original, as that's what I had to hand. Brilliant :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:51 am

Did you flavour the ricotta, karadekoolaid? I dislike its tastelessness, or maybe it's a natural lack of saltiness, like eating bread without salt.

Ricotta rates the same as tofu and polenta for me, Jeral. Completely bland. However, I think it´s a question (as you point out) of what you put with it that makes it interesting.
In this case I fried it in mustard oil and plated it with a spicy tomato/onion/garlic/chile/spice/yoghurt sauce, surrounded by spinach. It worked.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:09 am

I was flicking through my online collection of recipes yesterday. I know; a complete waste of time because I´m probably not going to cook even 10% of them...but still. I came across a recipe for "Strangolapreti" :shock: "Blimey", I said to myself, " with a name like that, it´s got to be interesting!!
I had all the ingredients to hand ( except the sage) so decided to give it a go, reasoning that, if it took a while, well, I´ve got plenty of time on my hands.
"Strangolapreti" took nearly 3 hours to make with at least 15 different culinary steps. A recipe worthy of the combined demonic evil of a Masterchef Final involving gordon Ramsay, John Torode, Marco Pierre White, Heston Blumenthal and Raymond Blanc. AARRGGHH!!!
When I finally got to eat the concoction, it was very delicious.Basically, a type of gnocchi prepared in Trentino, in the North East of Italy, served with sage butter.
Just out of interest I googled the name and found over a thousand recipes which take 30 minutes to make :crying1 :crying1 Next time...
(Incidentally, the name means "Strangle the Priest" and originated in the 16th century. A local cardinal ate so much of the stuff that he choked on it!)

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:08 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I had all the ingredients to hand ( except the sage) so decided to give it a go, reasoning that, if it took a while, well, I´ve got plenty of time on my hands.

When I finally got to eat the concoction, it was very delicious.Basically, a type of gnocchi prepared in Trentino, in the North East of Italy, served with sage butter.

What herb did you use instead of sage, since that seems to have been quite an important ingredient? :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Interesting stuff, how about posting a link to the quicker version that you feel hits the nail on the head, and/or your original online recipe?

Yesterday: Very tasty Chicken Kimchi stew with TOFU, and made a new batch of kimchi.

I'm making the same stew tonight with the other half of the tofu, and thigh instead of breast.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 pm

[quote] What herb did you use instead of sage, since that seems to have been quite an important ingredient? [quote]

I used rosemary,because thats what I had and I thought it might be potent enough.
Wrong. Use sage!!

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:07 pm

Tonight, is going to be a trout cutlet fillet, some chopped chestnuts and tinned artichoke hearts in a cream sauce with a clove or two and whatever else I chuck in.
After which, we shall never speak of this ever again :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 pm

I have just made my version of lamb tagine, using the neck fillet I bought from my new butchers last week . I looked up a couple of recipes, then kind of made it up with what I already had in. I finished it off with a splash of pomegranate molasses. It's blooming delicious :yum :yum :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:10 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have just made my version of lamb tagine, using the neck fillet I bought from my new butchers last week . I looked up a couple of recipes, then kind of made it up with what I already had in. I finished it off with a splash of pomegranate molasses. It's blooming delicious :yum :yum :yum

:yum :yum :yum :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 pm

I was working today, up since 0530 so J was chef tonight.

Crispy topped belly pork with cauliflower purée plus broad beans and potatoes from the garden.

Currently watching Adele at Glastonbury and thinking I really ought to go to bed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:59 pm

Salmon, new potatoes, broccoli - I had salmon because I had asparagus to finish up but I couldn’t find the asparagus, I threw out some spring onions and think I must have got the ‘Gus confused with them, any kind of 20cm green rod looks much the same inside a translucent green veg bag :(
The salmon was delish, I oiled the skin and put it in a small non- stick pan and cooked gently until cooked half way through the fillet when I added a tiny nut of butter and basted the top continuously until done. Transferred the fish to a plate, turned off the heat, added a good amount of lemon juice and the capers herbs and seasonings I’d use for a salsa verde to make a little dressing. Salmon skin was really crisp

Tagine sounds good Pat

Postby Amyw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:03 am

I absolutely love crispy fish skin . Dish sounds good sue

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:58 am

i made the teriyaki aubergine dish that jamie oliver featured in his tv programme on friday night, using 5 things - which wasn't quite correct because i had to make the teriyaki sauce first so that was at least another five things.
we had it with some garlic fried onion and red pepper, and some egg noodles.
i think i may have used too much of the teriyaki sauce because i thought the aubergine was a little overwhelmed. my partner said it was good but then he's not a big fan of aubergine.
he may have to have it again as there's a whole jar of the sauce in the fridge now -
- 'and a small aubergine'.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox