Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby DEB » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi
With the weather we have today, the beef stew in the slow cooker with dumplings are going to hit the spot with a good glass of red wine.
:wino

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 pm

Renee wrote:
OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Hi Renee,

I made a paste of garlic, chilli, ginger, lemon grass, coriander stalk, pinch of palm sugar and dried lime leaves. I then added a drizzle of sesame oil and soy sauce to the paste and smeared it on the flesh side of the fish and left it for about half an hour. We pan fried the bass skin side down (flipped for the last minute) and finished the dish with a squeeze of lime juice and fresh coriander. I hope I haven’t forgotten an ingredient! It was a make it up as we go along job :D

Thank you so much for all that information! Using fresh ingredients to make the paste is so much better. I really must make the effort again and you have inspired me! :clap :clap :clap

You’re welcome! I get quite a lot of satisfaction out of using the pestle and mortar for a paste :lol:

We had my mum and dad round in the garden for a few hours this afternoon. It was just about warm enough to eat outside. We had rib of beef, slow cooked red onions, sea salt and rosemary potatoes, 2 different salads, coleslaw, all of the mustards, crusty bread, olives, cheese, grapes, strawberries and some M&S chocolate truffles. The kids were beside themselves excited to have my mum and dad here for more than 5 minutes at the front door.

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:05 am

That's so lovely OMCO, the food and having your parents over.
I've had Niamh, my daughter, over 3 times since this all started and just love seeing her, I miss her so much.
I'm shielding so no idea when this will end.
Anyway, I had a few crackers, different varieties and a bottle of cherry kefir, gourmet!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:09 am

Last night we had roast asapargus with melted comte and emmental, Jersey Royals (blah....!) jersey butter, very slow/gently fried egg.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:00 pm

I just made an impromptu simple 'salad' of wram waxy potatoes and home made pesto. Yum :)

Postby dennispc » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:33 pm

chicken stir fry.JPG

One of last week’s Hello Fresh meals, Hoisin Chicken & Plum Stir Fry. Very tasty, with Bak Choy, Spring Onion and Basmati Rice. Came with Lime, Hoisin and Soy Sauce, Ketjap Manis and Honey, plus Plums and Garlic. Included a red chilli but we left that out.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:13 pm

That looks delicious Dennispc. It seems as though you are getting on very well with Hello Fresh.

Postby dennispc » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:36 am

Earthmaiden wrote:That looks delicious Dennispc. It seems as though you are getting on very well with Hello Fresh.

We are indeed Earthmaiden. Each week they offer 20 recipes, we choose three for a week, delivered on a Sunday. Always get a message giving a specific hour time slot. Never been late. Fish today, timed to take 35minutes.

Three meals for two cost £29.99, though some dishes cost extra.

Downside - plastic. Most of the ingredients i mentioned came in small sachets or pots. When we are able to go shopping again, we shall try the recipes for ourselves - now we have a ring binder full of recipes! :thumbsup

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:38 pm

That looks delicious Dennis. We went through a Hello Fresh stage a few years back, it was always good food.

Last night we had gammon with fried eggs, home made chips, peas, sweetcorn and ketchup.

Lunch today was Greek salad with sourdough margarita pizza.

Dinner is an easy family favourite of Spanish rice. Made with chicken thighs, chorizo, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, onions, paprika, lemon, parsley, saffron, stock, white wine, rice, peas...and whatever else needs using up that even vaguely ‘goes’ with the other ingredients. I think there are some olives left from the Greek salad for example, and possibly some green beans which I’ll halve and add to the pot.

A school friend popped round for a garden play this afternoon and they bought some florentines and strawberries so we’ll finish the last few of those off for dessert.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Oh I haven’t had florentines in years . I had a pretty piggy day yesterday , so tried to eat a little lighter today and had a picky tea . Herb and garlic cheddar , olive crackers , amazing balsamic pickled onions and some good tomatoes with a little extra balsamic . Strawberries after and few squares of dark chocolate

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:38 pm

An omelette made with left over new potatoes and asparagus with comte and emmenatal again.
Homemade rhubarb crumble :)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:50 pm

A tasty plate of Korean Dak Galbi today, Maangchi's recipe but using my own slightly adapted method.

This single portion has 1.5 tablespoonsful of Gochujang Chilli Paste, 1.5 tablespoonsful of Gochugara Korean Chilli powder, 1 sliced green chilli and a portion of chillified kimchi. Half an hour later and I'm still blowing my nose...

A couple of subs, dried Chinese rice cakes rather than Korean ones, and parsley instead of perilla.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 am

dennispc wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:Downside - plastic. Most of the ingredients i mentioned came in small sachets or pots. When we are able to go shopping again, we shall try the recipes for ourselves - now we have a ring binder full of recipes! :thumbsup

I think that's a common tale of convenience or necessity through lockdown with all sorts of things :(. It's good you've had some nice meals and good service though - and that recipe binder will be great afterwards!

That looks very interesting Sakkarin. You've reminded me that I opened the jar of M&S Korean BBQ rub yesterday and cooked chicken covered in it. Very nice but no idea what it had to do with Korea (miso was an ingredient). Had I done a blind taste test I would have thought it was a sauce made from sun dried tomatoes. I had it hot with rice and veg last night and the remainder chopped up and added to a stir fry with veg, coconut milk, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, chilli flakes and noodles tonight. I've got half a jar of the stuff left - there's some turkey lurking at the bottom of the freezer, I might use it with that.

Postby halfateabag » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 am

We went to Selsey Bill yesterday, grand day out ! We had F&C facing the sea sat in the car - wonderful ! then found a bakers so bought a London Slice ??? and shared it as it was HUGE. Stopped on the way back at T'cos for fuel and raided their RTC shelf. The apricots were pennies so I can see a tarte tatin (apricot) coming on. A garden centre with a food section added on were 'giving away' (20p) 2 sea bass with lemon and parsley, so that along with Jersey royals and fresh french beans was supper, very delicious.

So now I have a fridge full of goodies, skinned & boned ckx. thighs will be stuffed with mushrooms and wrapped in bacon slices and done in the oven when I cook my version of Greek cheese pies. I also have some steak mince which may become a meatloaf.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:03 pm

What's London slice?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:26 pm

How about some guesses as to what London Slice might be before HATB tells us - my guess is those square pastry slices with mincemeat sandwiched in between. EDIT: Mind you, there's not that many other "slicey" things...

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:33 pm

For some reason when I read it I visualised a pasty base with a thick layer of red jam and a layer of coconut on top.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:29 pm

A very simple tea that really hit the spot . Broccoli and tomato quiche, homemade wedges , salad and some very lurid purple Image

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Got this in the oven.
Will report back.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... piced-rice

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:05 pm

Disappointing.
Fairly claggy, couldn't taste the cumin.
Definitely needed the feta and herbs, I added more salt and lemon juice at the table.

I followed the recipe, all I can think is I should have used a wider, shallower cooking pot.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox