Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:46 pm

Oh gosh Hope, that sounds so tough.

Last night we had prawn linguine with spinach, tomatoes, lemon and basil.

Tonight we had a one pan dish of chicken thighs with potatoes, pancetta, leeks and mushrooms. I bought some oak smoked oil which I used and it really made the dish. We had it with lots of greens...two types of kale, cavolo nero, spinach and broccoli.

Postby Amber » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:41 pm

Could chickpeas be a possible substitute?

We have a pea/bean/lentil allergy in the family, it’s very surprising where these are included, but often not listed. :shock:

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:02 am

Chiles Poblanos Rellanos last night. Light egg battered & semi deep fried Poblano chiles stuffed with Casero queso fresco (bit like feta but lighter and crumblier) and mozzarella served with lemon wedges and Spanish/Mexican red rice.

Tonight, gambas pil pil, a regular fave. Prawns sizzled in olive oil with chopped garlic and a touch of crushed chili and paprika.

Thanks for the pic KC2 - we did a shop today and I completely forgot about the sweet potatoes <roll eyes> - next time for sure.

The Burmese noodles sound great Stokey - right up my alley especially since I've become a homemade pasta/noodle fan - do you have a recipe link or method?

Pork with prunes sounds fabulous Renee - great flavour combo & nice touch with the parsely.

Lovely stuff, OMCO.

Hope - your allergies must make cooking difficult - many creative cooks around here - if you don't want to start a thread, how about a list of either what you can't or can eat and you'll get a lot of inventive suggestions :) You probably have to reinvent dishes if you're hugely limited in edible ingredients.

Postby Hope » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:24 am

Amber - good idea about the chickpeas. I will try that.

It's the basil flavour that somehow gets lost. Because I have to be careful about only eating very fresh food, I always freeze it, so I don't know if that kills the flavour.

Zerocook - I will start that thread when I have a chance to write down all my can't-eats! It's a long list. The nuts/seeds are only a small part of it!

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:49 pm

Hope wrote:...[clip]...
It's the basil flavour that somehow gets lost.!
...[clip]...

Basil is one of those fine leaf herbs that once cut bleeds and so does its flavour. Blitzing, with its friction heat, not only cuts but semi-cooks it which also destroys flavour quickly.

I reckon the best way to get full flavour from basil leaves is just to chew them whole, seriously.

There is a Turkish(?) parsley bake from a local deli that seemed to be set with egg white that I've mentioned in the past and did find a likely recipe online. The flavour was so intense it took me back, so different from the blandness of our food these days. It probably takes a ton of parsley though.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:29 pm

The basil I have gorwn tastes very aniseedy when I do that. It's so long since I've bought it, that i can't remember if this is 'normal'.

Postby Hope » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:37 pm

jeral wrote:
It's the basil flavour that somehow gets lost.!
...[clip]...

Basil is one of those fine leaf herbs that once cut bleeds and so does its flavour. Blitzing, with its friction heat, not only cuts but semi-cooks it which also destroys flavour quickly.

I reckon the best way to get full flavour from basil leaves is just to chew them whole, seriously.

I keep just tearing them and adding the to my meals on serving, definitely get the flavour then. But is there any way to seal the flavour into the basil to make pesto? I mean, they do manage to do it when it's jarred. what's their secret?!

Tonight we have having pasta with roast veggies. Including (very excited about this one) our first homegrown butternut squash of the year. It's quite small and imature and clearly isn't going to ripen properly now, so I thought we could eat it today!

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:20 pm

But is there any way to seal the flavour into the basil to make pesto? I mean, they do manage to do it when it's jarred. what's their secret?!

I don't know, and I guess not many do or the brand leader Saccla would have almost disappeared being replaced long ago by own brands.

Gremolata uses lemon juice which stops oxidation and maybe helps seal flavour in as leaves are cut, but again that is eaten fresh not stored. No good if lemon is off the cards. Is white vinegar or apple cider vinegar also off the cards as it might be worth a try if not. Still not an answer for storing it though.

Postby Hope » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:33 pm

jeral wrote:
But is there any way to seal the flavour into the basil to make pesto? I mean, they do manage to do it when it's jarred. what's their secret?!

I don't know, and I guess not many do or the brand leader Saccla would have almost disappeared being replaced long ago by own brands.

Gremolata uses lemon juice which stops oxidation and maybe helps seal flavour in as leaves are cut, but again that is eaten fresh not stored. No good if lemon is off the cards. Is white vinegar or apple cider vinegar also off the cards as it might be worth a try if not. Still not an answer for storing it though.

no, can't have any vinegars either. i miss them a lot! would a very quick blanche work? or would that be too much heat?

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:23 pm

I'd be surprised if blanching basil leaves works as it'd soggify and break them (a spinachy sludge). If stored, howsoever done, would you still classify it as fresh?

There are nut-free pestos on the market, and recipes online, but I suppose without citrus it's not pesto being more a pistou, i.e. herb, garlic, olive oil (cheese optional).

Postby Hope » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:33 pm

jeral wrote:There are nut-free pestos on the market, and recipes online, but I suppose without citrus it's not pesto being more a pistou, i.e. herb, garlic, olive oil (cheese optional).

the nut-free ones (that I've seen) have pinenuts in, which are technically a seed, but I'm still allergic to them.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Tonight is pasta puttanesca (sans the loathed anchovies)

Tomorrow is an already-made beef stew.
I will add parsley dumplings at the appropriate time.

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:08 pm

I tried only once to make dumplings which turned out like solid cannon balls, although a friend could make light and fluffy ones, small and spread slightly around the edges but still retained a discernible centre. Wwordsworth, what's the secret?

Hope, here's a "pesto" recipe that you could play with maybe? Edit: An easy way to cook garlic cloves is to microwave for 5-10 seconds, the paper skin just slips off too.
https://theprettybee.com/nut-free-dairy-free-pesto/
I imagine it keeps for a couple of days in the fridge. Still no closer to retaining flavour of blitzed basil - maybe quick pulses rather than continuous blitz might help?

Shitake mushrooms made me a very good soup this week. (Mush, dried thyme, snippets of spring onion, a bit of tender stem broc - all sauteed and blitzed, then double cream, hint of fish sauce (for umami as it works well with veg), a bit of bread to thicken on reheat.

Also roasted butternut squash with sage to fill small Yorks puds, plus gravy of course.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:09 pm

I use vegetable suet, Jeral.
Makes for a lighter texture.

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:06 pm

I made a quinoa and beetroot salad today and added some lovely French goat cheese that I found in Asda. I couldn't find dried quinoa so I bought a microwaveable pack of red and white quinoa.

P1020011.JPG
P1020011.JPG (148.26 KiB) Viewed 4121 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:30 pm

That looks lovely, Renee :yum

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Looks very festive Renee , I love quinoa , think it’s got a great taste and texture

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Very pretty, Renee!

We had steak ciabattas yesterday with soft red onions, Dijon mustard mayo, watercress and balsamic.

Eggs and salmon after the usual classes and swimming this morning. I’ve just put an enormous pot of lamb hotpot in the oven. We’ve got greens and pickled red cabbage to have with it. I’m anticipating a walk somewhere afterwards to walk some of it off!

Cheese or chocolate mousse for dessert.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:20 pm

Ottolenghi's chickpea take on cacio e pepe. So delicious... Not terribly frugal or healthy though!

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:25 am

I had the same again today with extra diced beetroot and jolly good it was. I really love the French goat cheese that I found in Asda. It was just a small pack, but I'll definitely buy it again.

Your lamb hotpot sounded good OMCO. What cut of lamb did you use?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox