Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:31 am

I have a very large squid that's obviously been working out & just begging to be stuffed :yum so am about to oblige before a spot of much needed gardening - lovely day for it.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Toasted English muffin with lemon curd
HM lamb koftas with salad
Cod loin baked in paper with capers and lemon, baby potatoes and peas.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:44 pm

It was nearly a question of what were you meaning to cook for me. I put a whole chicken on the stove to poach with all the usual flavouring suspects. Ii.is meant for tonight's supper to be served cold with asparagus an egg vinaigrette and the first of the seasons new potatoes.

I brought it to a simmer popped the lid on and left it while we had a leisurely lunch outside. When I came back it was no longer simmering and was scarcely warm. The b****y gas cylinder had run out. Poor M had a real struggle to get the new one connected but it is now simmering once again.

Tomorrow I am going to our friends restaurant where our children have arranged a lunch for Mothering Sunday. i am really looking forward to it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:57 pm

As I have been home alone this last week and until this coming Friday, I have been indulging myself in some of my favourite comfort food. This has been the the only bonus in a difficult time for us (for those who don't know, please see Chatterbox for details).

I have made myself an apricot, orange and sherry trifle for my pudding today and the next few days. I had to use some milk up, as we've got a surplus due to the way things have gone this week. It's something I've been wanting to make for ages but Mr Strictly doesn't like apricots very much. Main course is Lincolnshire Sausages cooked in a bean, tomato and cider sauce. I'll have it with cabbage and new potatoes. Again, the accompaniments will be a treat for me because of Mr Strictly's tummy issue which has flared up again. Brassicas and spuds in their skins do not agree with him these days.

I am not sure what I will be making in the next few days but I am sure there will be curry for one of the meals. I make a veg chilli last week which did me for 2 meals.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:08 pm

Sunday Lunch for two on terrace ..

A sublime Pasta dish, called: Tagliolina al limone ..

Pasticio di Bari Brand Tagliolina al Limone Taralloro Pasta.

This was prepared with:
Sautéed anchovies, garlic, fresh parsley, a couple of drops of lemon & Iranian dried Lemon Zest.
Freshly crushed black pepper corns, 2 tiny cloves of diced finely garlic sautéed ..
The Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil used for the sauté-ing is Pogglio.

The mono varietal White wine, was Pinot Grigio served with the Pasta:
Il Papa Vero (The True Father) from Sicilia.

After the pasta was a small radicchio and rocket salad with fresh red ripe tomato.

Simple and lovely.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:17 pm

What a lovely meal Member 461! Did you use fresh anchovies? I see them occasionally in one of the supermarkets.

I used my new shallow cast iron casserole dish for the first time today, browning some braising steak, sliced onions and mini Portobello mushrooms sliced. I added some stock and red wine and slow-cooked for about an hour and a half. It made a nice change because I rarely eat beef.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:25 pm

Renée,

Fresh anchovies are called Boquerones. The best way to prepare Boquerones are battered in chickpea flour lightly dusted and sautéed in
Spanish Evoo.

No, I used Spanish jarred Anchovies in Evoo, from Santander. (called Anchoas ) ..

This was truly an exceptional pasta dish !

Wow .. Portobello Mushrooms ! Sounds Delicious too !!!!

Lovely evening wishes .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:36 am

Member 461, thank you very much for the information about anchovies! Yes, I do usually buy the anchovies in jars. I look forward to making your Tagliolina al limone.

The weather is still quite cool here which is why I am still making slow-cooked casserole dishes!! I hope that it will warm up soon.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:40 am

Renée,

Chilly here too, 9 degrees Centigrade this morning.
High expected 16 C degrees ..

And we are expecting rain the rest of the week !

Good weather for indoor activities ..

Have a lovely day. :wave :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:09 am

I cooked two duck legs yesterday, and had one as a Sunday roast yesterday, not something I often do

Amazing how the scent of of roast parsnips persists in the kitchen

Will have the rest of the meat tonight

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Not really cooking tonight.
I have taken some HM chicken casserole out of the freezer and we will have it with mash and cabbage.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:28 pm

I've decided that the rest of the duck will be Thai roast duck curry
An easy meal using Mae Ploy paste

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Yesterday I made " Oriental" meatballs - an old favourite cut out of a newspaper at least 30 years ago. It´s simply minced meat, with mustard and ginger, in a sauce made with soy, sherry, sugar and water. Never fails as comfort food on a day when we didn´t have a single power cut... :shock:

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:50 am

Sounds lovely Clives and must have been especially rewarding to make it uninterupted by power cuts!
I had some lovely jellied stock as the result of poaching the chicken for saturday's supper, and if course some cold chicken so, taking the inspiration from Mannu's amuse bouche on Sunday I diced chicken breast and put then some fiit in a terrine . I added shelled fresh peas and peeled broad beans then blanched some carrot batons, some finely sliced baby fennel and quartered baby artichokes and some asparagus tips. I added the chicken stock to which I had added 3 leaves of gelatine to make a firmer set. Added chopped tarragon and seasoning and poured it over.

We had the terring last evening with some buttered new potatoes and it was delicious. Some left for lunch today
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:25 pm

That sounded great until you got to the tarragon Joan

I made a big pot of chilli yesterday, mainly to portion and freeze but I had some last night with rice and pick de gallo

People have told me so many times that it is not “authentic” chilli con carne but have always been unable to tell me when and where it would have been inauthentic. I take heart from Summaya Usmani who said last night during a talk at the British Library that it’s authentic if it’s how you remember it
Well this is very much how I remember it 45 years ago made by US students at uni - except I’m now a better, and better equipped, cook than Crystal was then! :D

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 pm

I was thinking about you Sue as I was writing that. I think for you I was substitute chervil which is a lovely spring-like herb too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:53 pm

I’m having another go at growing chervil, it’s a notoriously poor germination and it’s probably the best sub for tarragon

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:39 pm

Wednesday Lunch ..

Working from home, as I have a delivery we were waiting for ..

A simple quick Arros de Perlès (a Bio Girona Rice called Pearls as the rice grains are very tiny & shaped like pearls and color of pearls)
mini Paella ..

The stock broth of red Dénia Prawns was used for the liquid
to cook the rice, slow low flame.

Turned out scrumptuous and we enjoyed it tremendously.

Have a nice day.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:01 pm

So.……………………………………..boiled rice then...... :D

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Today was my version of chestnut mushroom stroganov with small steamed broc florets. I make it by sauteeing sliced mush, onion, adding 2-3 cloves garlic, 3-4 clove cloves and lots of thyme, S&P. Blending half (fish cloves out first) with a tin of coconut milk and reheating with the sauteed half set aside added back. (Makes good soup too.)

The snapper last week, I flash fried briefly first. Sauteed mixed bell pepper pieces with onion, garlic, parsley, rosemary, then baked in foil parcel to cook through with a spot of oyster sauce for "veg gravy". It was nice enough, maybe more for once in a while methinks.

A mixed veg pie with puff topping only (for speed) one day with er, enhanced veggie Bisto gravy.

On Sat when it was warm, yay, I enjoyed an all time fave :) of mixed veggie mezze, usual suspects like art. hearts, black olives, HM hummous, HM tzatziki, baby plum toms, plus Violife vegan feta which is pretty good actually, and toasted pull apart chunks of sesame topped caterpillar bread :)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox