Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:57 am

S-I-L arrives this afternoon with the heavy rain that always seems to accompany her.

The menu for supper is Fish pie - without hard boiled eggs, with steamed buttered spinach. Cheese, no goat or smelly. I have just taken a Tatre Normande out of the oven for dessert.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Made some veggie “sausage” roll things . Used a simple stuffing mix , which I added some softened onion and garlic , grated double Gloucester and finely chopped chestnuts . Really good

Postby dennispc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:36 pm

With help from the Soup thread, we had pumpkin soup for lunch. Made a fresh wholemeal loaf plus roasted seeds. Crutons using some oldish bread we had. Nice, thanks for the help.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:16 am

I made a moussaka on Sunday night, was really nice. Cut out a portion and left the rest to set in the fridge overnight so I could cut it into neat portions, one for later in the week and the rest to freeze

Need to make something with chicken tonight

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:41 pm

Do you add potato to your moussaka Sue? I’d cooked it and eaten it for years without then was served some with potato in . As it goes the potato version seems to crop up everywhere now .

I’m definitely the no potato category

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:18 pm

Potatoes in moussaka could start WW3 :roll:

I was told 30 years ago by an elderly Athenian chef, that potatoes in moussaka (normal in 70s UK recipes when aubergines were exotic and expensive) were a Cypriot misdemeanour, and no true Greek would use them

Fast forward to Rick Stein's Mediterranean series a couple of years ago, and his moussaka was cooked in the Peloponnese (so definitely mainstream Greek) by Patrick Leigh Fermor's housekeeper. She used 3 layers each of a different veg, aubergine, courgette, and potato, all pre-cooked by deep frying in olive oil. She also used beef mince not lamb, and the only liquid she added to the mince was some chopped fresh tomatoes, quite a lot. She also used a thicker topping of sauce than I've done in the past making a lot of thick béchamel than adding kefalotiri cheese and eggs to flavour and set it. She then baked quite slowly.

So that's basically what I did this time. I didn't track down any kefalotiri or pecorino romano (the nearest thing I've encountered) so I used slightly less parmesan. I shan't do the frying again, I'll revert to brushing the slices with a little oil and baking, but it didn't make it greasy with care and draining on a cake rack

But, to go back to the original question, using the 3 veg was great, I did aubergine - mince - courgette - mince - potato - béchamel topping. Think the potato is best put to support the sauce. A recipe to revisit and tweak.

Postby dennispc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:11 pm

In Symi you're more likely to get potato in moussaka than not. The ones we ate didn't have much liquid. Loved 'em.

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Had a so so veggie breakfast today . Undercooked egg , ok veggie sausages , greasy mushrooms and the sauté potatoes were tough as old boots .

Rectified tonight with a piece of breadcrumbed haddock and mound of green veg . Was in need of tomato sauce though

Postby dennispc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:27 pm

AmyW, that's our kind of dish.

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Returning to moussaka (maybe we should have a separate thread) , I follow Ian’s recipe apart from the topping where I whisk egg into thick Greek yoghurt and feta crumbled in .

Ian’s http://souvigne.com/recipes/main030.htm

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:56 am

For the moussaka topping, I make a bechamel and add feta cheese. Then I let it cool a bit; add an egg and some yoghurt. Always turns out creamy, smooth and unctuous. I never use potatoes, though; only aubergines.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:05 am

It´s a few days late, but I was so knackered that I couldn´t even be bothered to type!
Saturday evening was my nephew´s wedding - and he´d asked me to do the food. how could I refuse? I won´t bore you with the details, but everything went very well, despite some almost catastrophic occurrences (eg. the chef I´d contacted to help me didnt communicate for five days :shock: :shock: :shock: ) I sacked him and found another.
The first thing on the menu was a Fish Station - tuna tartare, ceviche and prawn cocktail. They went rather well and it was the only thing I managed to photograph!
Matrimonio Juanpi & Lina 1.jpg

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:40 pm

What an extroardinarily pink tableful!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Looks great kka!

Postby patpoyntz » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:52 pm

I could eat quite a lot of those...they look gorgeous!

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:31 pm

Very pretty , with the pink , almost looks like it could be a Valentines Day starter.

A slightly less pretty plate full of my tea at work Image

I tried the Meatless Farm company’s mince . Cooked with onion carrot , mushrooms, garlic then added soy sauce , marmite , seasoning , bistoand mixed herbs . Added some sweet corn at the end for extra texture . First sprouts of the season with roasties and I added extra gravy after. Perfect cold weather food

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 pm

That looks tasty.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 am

I could eat yours right now, Amy. Got any left??

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:23 am

I wish I was at that wedding, Clive.
The last wedding I was at, mummy with toddler next to me fed her daughter from my plate with her fork. Thanks! So I had nothing to eat till a buffet later.

Nice cooking, Amy.
Pretty plates you've got too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 am

I would have loved your Serrano wrapped cod Gill. It's something that I've never tried. How do you make your lemon sauce?

Sorry Renee.
I bake the cod, remove to a warm plate
and add lemon juice and the grated rind to the liquor that comes off. And some double cream. No salt, but plenty of pepper.

Herbs if you wish, one or 2 little needles of rosemary go beautifully with fish.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox