Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:07 am

I mucked about like Jeral yesterday evening - soup.
The "winter" temperatures here drop by about 6-7°C generally, so instead of 27-29° during the day, it´s closer to 21-23°.
In the evenings, and early morning, that means anywhere between 14° - 18°, which is "freezing" for us :? :lol: :lol: I´ve spent the last 4 days wearing a sweater...
Pumpkin soup for the missus. She likes simple soups, so the pumpkin only had onion, salt and pepper. Underwhelming, to say the least, although I think the pumpkin was not totally ripe. 4/10.
The other soup was much better. I roasted carrots, a small sweet potato, lots of onion, garlic cloves and tomatoes with olive oli, fennel seed, celery salt and some pepper. The soup was delicious, creamy and rich in flavour. 7/10 for that!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:07 am

Of course I'd be sweating buckets in your house, KKA.
I thought those potatoes looked rather good, and easy.

We could have soup tonight to join in with the in crowd. Not a lover, but I like making it and Tony adores soup.
He sometimes asks for soup weeks: a different one for every day of the week, which is easy cooking for me.

Postby Renee » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:46 am

I would be sweating buckets too!!! I can remember when I was in Taipei in January one year, people were wrapped up in coats, scarves and hats and a short sleeved
t-shirt was fine for me! I love the sound of your 7/10 soup, KK, so will make that today.

Postby scullion » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:58 pm

this is our favourite pumpkin soup - (in the instructions it mentions green peppers but i use red).

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:26 pm

Pampy wrote:Definitely 11/10, Patsy! I like the sound of the potatoes - will be on my menu in the not too distant future.

they were delicious and I made good use of my Bourne slicer, without taking the tops of my fingers off :thumbsup :o ;)

If/when I get any more beetroot, I will add those too - got these twice running in the last month, now used up in pickles :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:58 pm

I liked the look of those potatoes too - the mandolin did look a bit frightening! There were some rather nice looking rosti potatoes demonstrated on Rick Stein's Cornwall programme too :yum. Your dinner sounds lovely, Pat. I'm a heathen and can't face pork chops unless they are thin and really browned on the outside.

I settled for beef & veg casserole with dumplings last night, something I've not had in an age. I had it with buttery, peppery mashed swede and it was really delicious. I'm ashamed to say I was so hungry I ate more than half so will have to pad it out with more veg and less dumpling tonight :oops:.

The pumpkin chowder recipe looks nice.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:21 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I liked the look of those potatoes too - the mandolin did look a bit frightening! There were some rather nice looking rosti potatoes demonstrated on Rick Stein's Cornwall programme too :yum. Your dinner sounds lovely, Pat. I'm a heathen and can't face pork chops unless they are thin and really browned on the outside.

My pork slices (aka chops ;) ) were about an inch thick (in old money), or 2.5 cm ... I followed Phil Whatshisname's directions and fried them (on my griddle rather than frying pan) for about 5 minutes either side, but turned the heat off before then as I knew there would be plenty of residual heat.

Yes, saw those Rosti potatoes :yum - another thing I must add to my 'must try these' list ;) :thumbsup

I am getting used to my Bourne slicer/mandolin, having watched the experts use them .. so, well before I get too close to my fingers, I use the flat of my hand. My slicer also has a handy veg holder that works well too. :thumbsup :o :o

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:20 pm

A mandolin is a wonderful thing, providing you (a) use the guard, if there is one and/or (b) like Patsy, you use the flat of your hand. I´ve watched professional chefs use one at the speed of light and it always sends shivers down my spine.
I´ve got a de Buyer mandoline which has all sorts of attachments to make wafer-thin slices, allumettes, julienned veg - and even waffled potatoes. Excellent for making Onion Jam, when you want the onions really thin.
My one bad experience was trying to use the "julienne" attachment with carrots. A carrot got stuck and I pushed too hard. Got myself a bloody (literally) manicure... :shock: :lol:

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:13 pm

Tonight was supposed to be sea bass fillets in some form, but I have bacon to use up.

Therefore it's our tasty old faithful
Smoked bacon, broad bean and sage risotto.

A glass or two of wine as well, considering my boss just phoned to say 0830 start tomorrow instead of the usual 0730 :wino

Postby jeral » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:27 pm

Sounds a really slurpsome treat WWordsworth.

A soup/stew tonight with (freezer) hake pieces and prawns added, thus: Sauteed red and yellow pepper pieces, shallots, garlic, fresh ginger, then tinned toms and a good pinch of mustard, cayenne, cinnamon, then veg stock - all simmered down for 20 mins then hake and prawn, petit pois and pre-cooked spud added to gently cook through. (It'll be too much so some fish will be kept back to add for the reheat portion.)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:31 pm

jeral wrote:Sounds a really slurpsome treat WWordsworth.

A soup/stew tonight with (freezer) hake pieces and prawns added, thus: Sauteed red and yellow pepper pieces, shallots, garlic, fresh ginger, then tinned toms and a good pinch of mustard, cayenne, cinnamon, then veg stock - all simmered down for 20 mins then hake and prawn, petit pois and pre-cooked spud added to gently cook through. (It'll be too much so some fish will be kept back to add for the reheat portion.)

Jeral, do you pop in the fish and prawns frozen?

Postby jeral » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 pm

Hi KeenCook2, I suppose one could add the fish frozen but I always defrost fish before cooking so it cooks evenly and time experience means you know how long it will take (not long).

I defrost fish in a poly bag with the air squeezed out, sealed or tied, and put in a bowl of cold water for an hour or so. (I usually forget to do the overnight defrost in the fridge.)

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:09 am

Galettes
I had an Emmental and faux bacon one, followed by one with last year's runny marmalade and clotted cream.
Husband had one with left over cauliflower and carrot gratin in it, and an Emmental one.

The flour was buckwheat but the result was paler than the ones we have in Normandy.
They also tasted much nicer than the last lot which wer a bit bitter, so... the flour from last time (early last year) which had been bought in France had gone off, and/or it was a different type?

Hmm. It was blé Sarrasin/blé noir. Today's was Dove Farm buckwheat.

Maybe I just didn't cook them enough...??? Nice though, all the same.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:50 am

I love buckwheat galettes. I have only used Dove's Farm flour (they are relatively local here) and only had them as a savoury dish as I went mad for them after getting HFW's Light & Easy book a few years ago. I must see if I can get any more flour.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 pm

It's taken me this long to source any. I have been trying to order it since last May!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:10 pm

It's true I haven't tried buying any since the madness started!

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:11 pm

J cooked this tonight.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sear ... thhe_72342

It was a new one for us and completely delicious, served with a crunchy green salad.

Have to say, the bit I enjoyed the most was the herby lentils
There is a bowlful left so that's my lunch tomorrow sorted.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:27 pm

I have been trying to buy buckwheat flour for a while and can’t get any anywhere.

Love monkfish Wordsworth and I wish I liked lentils! It’s one of those ingredients that I’m annoyed that I don’t like, along with kidney and borlotti beans.

Anyway. Last night we had lemon sole with new potatoes and some sautéed greens with sliced peppers from a jar, basil, chilli and lemon.

Eldest is 6 today and she requested gnocchi with meatballs and a side salad. To be honest it was awful! The sauce wasn’t up to scratch and just tasted strongly of passata and beef stock. Basil oil, fresh basil and a little sugar didn’t even save it. Birthday girl declared it delicious :D Sainsbury’s Harry Potter cake for dessert which she was desperate for. No way I was attempting to recreate that at home.

We have planned some kind of fish tacos for tomorrow.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Tonight is guinea fowl in a sherry and mushroom sauce, with baby potatoes and sautéed greens.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:52 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:I have been trying to buy buckwheat flour for a while and can’t get any anywhere.

Ocado seems to have it https://www.ocado.com/search?entry=buckwheat%20flour
and Sainsbugs https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Sea ... ew?filters[keyword]=buckwheat%20flour&&langId=44&storeId=10151&searchType=2&searchTerm=buckwheat%20flour
and Tesco https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/s ... at%20flour
and Morrisons https://groceries.store.morrisons.com/p ... at%20flour

But it might not be available where you are.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox