Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 pm

I agree, I usually cook 150g for 2 of us and I probably eat 3/8 of it.

Postby Hope » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:03 am

I cook 60g portions of pasta. But I like a lot of veg with mine - so the meal is at least half veg.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:00 pm

I use 125-130 gms of pasta for me, but then I don´t eat anything else with it and tend to go easy on the sauce/garnish/topping.
I was also in a rut yesterday and pulled out an old book called " 200 Pasta Recipes". Aubergines, fried gently in olive oil, fresh garlic, green olives and lemon zest. I have to say it was utterly delicious and very easy to prepare.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Is that the Marlena Spieler book karadekoolaid?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:15 pm

It was originally called " The Essential Pasta Cookbook" and the main contributor seems to be Jody Vassallo. My version is in Spanish.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Ah - I “chat” to Marlena on social media so was thinking I might be able to tell her the book had travelled to Venezuela

Postby smitch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:09 pm

Brunch was an oven bottom muffin filled with a hash brown and vegan Richmond sausages after we got back from collecting a print from an artist based in a local mill.

Tea has just been green shakshouka based on a few different recipes i found online and in books. I really enjoyed it, made a nice change.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:46 pm

There is a large beef flat rib in the oven, to be served with roast potatoes, green beans, broccoli and carrots.
All veg is from the garden.

Postby Kacey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:07 pm

I usually cook 150 to 180g pasta for the two of us, depending on what I'm serving with it.

I bought that pasta book on your recommendation a long time ago Sue, I've never been disappointed by any recipe I've tried.

Actually tonight is pasta, with a baked feta and cherry tomato thing making the sauce. I've added half a finely sliced onion (as it was sitting in the fridge) and a handful of chopped black olives. Made a quick soda bread to go with it as its Saturday.

Have a lovely mini keg of Salopian Lemon Dream to open too.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:39 pm

Ottolenghi's Chaat masala potatoes with coriander chutney and tamarind.

Very good indeed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:29 pm

Kacey wrote:I bought that pasta book on your recommendation a long time ago Sue, I've never been disappointed by any recipe I've tried.

:clap

I had a version of the orzo with Greek Island flavours tonight which was not the original plan but worked out well

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:06 am

There’s a lovely Greek lamb orzo braise in this weekend’s Telegraph if you can access it behind the paywall. It’s a Diana Henry. I’ve made similar and it’s lovely. She calls it giouvetsi. She uses lamb shoulder but on googling it seems many use beef.

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:49 am

herbidacious wrote:Ottolenghi's Chaat masala potatoes with coriander chutney and tamarind.

Very good indeed.

That was the first thing I made from the book. We really enjoyed it, will definitely make it again.

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 pm

I made macaroni cheese for tea. Haven’t had it for ages and I really enjoyed it.

We had raspberries, meringue and cream for pud :yum

Not sure about tomorrow, possibly home made pizza but will see.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:57 pm

smitch wrote:
That was the first thing I made from the book. We really enjoyed it, will definitely make it again.

Yet again Ottolenghi - 1: my instincts re whether I would like it - nil i.e. I liked it.

Usually my instincts are right, but so far, each time it's been a bit of a leap of faith that has, each time, paid off.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:00 am

Pancakes for breakfast with fruit. Fortnums do a pecan and maple nut butter which is amazing and I had a bit on one. Sugar and lemon on another.

We had the in laws round in the garden later. We cooked roast beef and had it on ciabatta with chips on the side. Plus mustards and gravy for chip dipping. Fruit plate with some cheese this evening.

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:57 am

herbidacious wrote:...[clip]... Yet again Ottolenghi - 1: my instincts re whether I would like it - nil i.e. I liked it.

I think I've sussed it. I used to leave items out that I know I don't like, especially if 15+ are listed(!) then rarely liked the result. The trick is to include all (or darn near) whether you like them or not, because, in the proportions such chefs use them in, you (meaning me) will probably only taste the balanced good result and none of the nasties you expected to dislike. True of curries, flavoured rices, soups - all sorts.

That Fortnum's pecan and maple syrup sound's like a friend's dream food, OneMoreCheekyOne. Will investigate since Xmas pressy time approaches.

From freezer again tonight, smoked haddock, leek slices, cooked sliced new pots. The latter I sauteed/fried to crispy as already mushed a bit :) Leeks I sauteed then toms squashed in & touch balsamic, haddock panfried separately to just right.

A tin of evaporated coconut milk that I bought when no ordinary tins to be found, is sweet, too sweet for savoury dishes, so will see if (diluted with water if needed to suit) it makes better tasting custard than soya milk. Useful to know for non-dairy people. Will report.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:47 pm

I usually just avoid the recipe rather than leave stuff out. Jeral. But when I have tried making things I don't think i will like, I usually don't.

Ottolenghi's receipes are, I guess, always more than the sum of their parts.

I have just made a creamy celeriac, mushroom, leek and cheese pie. It's in the oven. There was enough pastry left over to make almost a whole tray of little tarts. I ended up using runny marmalade to fill them. I hope the pie doesn't leak leeks (etc. It's above them.) :)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:58 pm

We had mushroom omelette for breakfast this morning.

Dinner was haddock with homemade chips, lemon mayo and greens.

We made oaty, pecan and maple cookies this afternoon and all had one straight from the oven and another after dinner.

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:50 pm

On a bit of a Jamie 7 ways roll today . I made his sweet potato and chorizo soup for lunch - see resurrected soup thread and tonight I made his crispy salmon tacos . Haven’t eaten fish for ages but they were lovely . Lots of mango , avocado , tomatoes and spring onion plus I added jalapeños and feta plus sour cream . Really healthy feeling tea but filling at the same time . Really enjoying the book so far

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox