Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Amyw » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks all . Leftovers are for tonight . Plates are works Gil. I run a house where autistic adults live .

Postby dennispc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Those sprouts and roasties looked good.

Wild duck, from Darts Farm, coming out of the slow cooker in an hour.

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:40 pm

I really craved some salad today, then when it came to eating it , wished I’d gone for a hot curry instead !! Have to say the coleslaw from M&S was lush . Beetroot , red cabbage and apple in a yoghurt and horseradish dressing , reduced to only 80p too . Bargain !!

The muffins / mini frittatas/ crustless quiches whatever you want to call them had spinach , roast sweet potato ,, onion and feta in . Well I say feta , I use the cheap as chips Greek salad cheese instead in dishes like that , as no real difference in taste

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 pm

I'll happily secrete those scrumptious-looking fritters away from your plate, Amyw. Beetroot and red cabbage isn't for me at all, so I'd munificently leave that for you The lovely fresh lettuce and salad we'd both grudgingly have to agree to share. Well, I can succeed virtually ;)

Yesterday was going to be salmon and broc with a cheese sauce. Cheese with fish is an odd concept to me but thought I'd try it for once. It turns out my little block of (unlabelled) cheese was creamed coconut, so maybe Fate was trying to tell me that I wouldn't have liked the cheese anyway :lol: I added a spot of turmeric, ginger, red onion and a tiny red chilli, and silently thanked Fate.

Simple veg pie today (bought shortcrust). Decided to soupify some marrowfat tinned peas (instead of gravy) for an Australian-style floater. Fine dining at its best.

Postby Binky » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:10 pm

We're having fajitas tonight, inspired by 4 avocadoes for £1 on the market. I made the guacamole and OH is frying the onions, mushrooms, peppers and tofu at this minute. Smells divine. :yum

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Enjoy...….!

A spicy Chorizo, squid, prawn & judion casserole with black rice here tonight - the house smells gorgeous...………….... :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Sounds great Lush.

We just had pasta with red pep, spring onions and scallops.
J is hungry again already :roll:

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:48 pm

He's just appeared from the kitchen with cheese, crackers and pickled onions.
Is he pregnant?

Postby Binky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Probably

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 pm

Enormouse cheese scone for breakfast.

Last night pitta pockets with Achari Chicken Tikka and huge amounts of salad. Whenever I make this dish these days I prepare one portion as chunks of diced breast and the other as a jointed leg + winglet for "roasting". So tonight it's the jointed half, with rice and salad.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:34 pm

I'm having a go at making single portions of my favourite dishes, instead of the batch I would normally make, and thoroughly costing them as I go. I'm making frugal versions, so cutting corners occasionally.

Methi Chicken on Thursday. It worked well, just meant I had to keep a hawks eye on it so it didn't burn! From the prepared ingredients in the pic to the finished dish including the rice was just under 45 minutes.

Costing it up, it worked out at £1.30 For Methi Chicken and Pilau Rice. My favourite local takeaway version is £11.50!

Yesterday it was a single portion of Mushroom Risotto. As an aside, I realised that both Antonio Carluccio and Alastair Little's recipes, my go-to books for Italian food, suggested using a stock cube, so I did the unspeakable and used one. Ordinary cheese instead of parmesan is my other cheat, giving a fabulous plateful for £1.20 (45p for the dried porcini).

I'll do a one-off Tarka Dall later, again usually a batch.

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Last night I had friends over. Salmon, med veg and new potatoes roasted with garlic and lemon then lots of feta and basil tossed through.

Today I fancy some "bowl" food, so am going to make a chilli style things with chorizo style veggies sausages , cannelini beans, tomatoes etc and maybe a cheese quesadilla on the side

Postby Binky » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Those are lovely and appetite- tempting photos, especially Amy's.

We are having a vegetarian shepherds pie today. It's the Rose Elliott recipe which is normally done with lentils, but I got some dried soya protein (used to be called TVP?) and have used that instead.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:21 pm

EDIT: Yesterday's one-portion Tarka Dall was the best I've made.

Sorry for all these meaty pix for veggies :-(

Today's Keema Mutter for one, gorgeous...

Again, usually made in a 4-serving batch, I'm trying making my favourite dishes as single-portion versions.

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/ ... -keema.jpg

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks Binky :wino

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:40 pm

I did a slow cooked (in the oven)pork belly y and bout half and hour before serving. I took off the crackling and served that on one side then partly carved the meat. I just took it all out to the table on my big olive wood platter and told everone to help themselves. I served plum chutney, braised red cabbage and Dauphinoise potatoes. There was not a single scrap of crackling left at the end and not much of anything else either
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 pm

I made a good old Chile con Carne, but with a Cincinnati twist - chocolate, cinnamon and loads of yellow cheese on top!!
Believe it or not, the addition of a TINY portion of dark chocolate actually benefits the flavour. And the cinnamon - well that´s present in a classic Moussaka.
The cheese is definitely wierd, but then the Skyline Chili in Cincy is served on a bed of spaghetti :crying1 :crying1 :gonzo

Postby Renee » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Lovely photos!

For lunch today, I had smashed avocado with a squeeze of lemon for flavour with a poached egg on top on a slice of toasted rye bread. I really enjoyed it. Tonight, I have a leftover salmon fillet and half a packet of Tilda Brown rice with red and black quinoa. I might do something with it, because it doesn't sound too appetising!

Whilst away at Colin's, we had a meal at his daughter's house and I had chilli made with the vegetarian mince. It was good.

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:32 pm

I think veggie mince is fine in most dishes such as chilli , pasta dishes etc . There’s so much other things going on you’re not going to “miss” the meat

Was your chilli a meat or veggie based one KKA.

Drooling a bit Joan , pork is the one thing I’ve missed since cutting out meat . The French don’t normally “do” crackling do they ?

Renee , I find some fresh herbs , lemon and good EVOO jazz up most dishes . Maybe add some feta olives and cooked green beans to it ?

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Renée, if you don't have much else having just returned from Darn Sarf, a white sauce with milk, bouillon, small spot of turmeric, decent spot of ginger and nutmeg, a clove, bit of cornflour to suit, makes a reasonable sauce for salmon. Plus a hint of chilli or good grind of black pepper. I normally panfry salmon skin side down until done enough to flake into the sauce to finish off. Not ace, but good as a sauce for dry rice or grains.

I cooked some veggie mince for my vegan friends (the new sort with beetroot colouring) and it definitely looked a step up imitation-wise from Quorn-type rubbery bobbles.

karadekoolaid: $64,000 question: Does Cincinata chilli con carni include beans?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox