Register

The restaurants I've been to!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The restaurants I've been to!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Wic,

Good Evening ..

When you were in Newfoundland, Canada, did you happen to go to:

The Basque Fishermen´s Museum ?
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Wic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 pm

We were all over the place, Member 461, but I don’t remember a Basque Museum. Maybe next time.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:26 am

Wic,

1) The location is on The Straits of Belle, Red Bay on The Labrador Coast.

2) There is a wonderful article written by a Canadian Author, Marc Atchison, http://www.travelife.ca

3) It seems that I cannot locate the Museum but have located the World Heritage Site.

I had written about this in my Newsletter to my clients. I shall see if I can locate it as it was quite a long time ago that we travelled to Northeastern Canada.

4) The European Unión, Unesco, the Canadian Government & The Newfoundland Government are in the process of re-building the sunken fishing ship they located,
which was located under an iceburg (around the time of Cristóbal Colón, known in English as Christopher Colombus.)

I shall look for the article and the photographs.

It is also possible, that the Basque Government & Spanish Government had requested these artifacts for their Maritime Museums, as there are quite a number of these in The Basque Country in Bilbao and San Sebastian.

There is alot of archaelogical exploration going on in this región of Newfoundland.

Have a nice evening. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:48 am

Wic,

I am inclined to believe the artifacts were moved to The Basque Country.

One can see artifacts and replicas of the whaling and cod fishing vessels, the outerwear worn by the fishermen and tools they used.

Museo Albaola
Pasai San Pedro, Gipuzkoa

94 / 339 . 2426

Postby dennispc » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 am

Table ready laid for breakfast in Lille and table service for cooked.

Breakfast.jpg

Buffet lunch dessert on the Duoro (starter and main served to table)

Dessert.jpg

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:17 pm

Petronius,

Quite a feast !! :thumbsup

Have a nice weekend.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Cadaquès .. Saturday Lunch ..

Xiringuitos are Bar Restaurants located on the Beaches of Costa Brava ..

One of the most popular is Xiringuito de Mei ..

They are renowned for their fresh shellfish and fish.

We had an amazing Italian Mediterranean appetiser of "Gamberi Carabiniere" ( Jumbo Red Carabineros or Prawns called Crevettes ) with a Croccante of Marine Algaes ..

Our 2nd course, was a lovely seasonal Green Asparagus Risotto ..

We selected a Juve & Camps Cava with our lunch.

No dessert. Just an Espresso ..

A few other Cadaquès Venues my family and us frequent are:

1) El Barrocco - Lebanese, opened since 1978 .. The Mezze are superbly splendid.

2) La Gritta - An Italian & Mediterranean casual yet charming venue which opened in 1982, and is a lovely gem.

3) Bistro Vino - A French owned and operated traditional French jewel ..

4) Restaurant Compartir which was founded by three Michelin starred Chefs, when El Bullí closed in 2011 / 2012. Chef Xatrach, Chef Casañas & Chef Castro have collaborated since creating some outstandingly remarkable Mediterranean Cuisine in an 18th century Villa.

Have a lovely weekend. :wino :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am

Chiringuitos amaze me, Member 461.
When the food is terrific. They seem such hard work for staff, but are super from the diner end. Especially when they fire up their wood ovens (in Malaga/ Pedregalejo, there are a lot).

Dennis, you're eating nicely I see. Are you touring around?

We've eaten in Bath this last weekend.
Steak freetes one night. I was pretty tired after my 2 day at the art event. And had to wait an hour at the bar for a table for 8pm, the restaurant kindly squeezed us in.
I drank non-alcohol beer, if I'd had booze, I'd have fallen asleep on my feet.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Gil, The Painter,

Chiringuitos ( beach bars & beach cafés with open air terraces ) like any other dining establishment has its specialties.

They are enormously popular on the Costa Brava and the Southern Andalusian Coast and along the Portuguese Coast and Galician Coast too ..

However, Chiringuitos historically, are actually casual beach bars serving a few fresh catches of the day !

Have a nice day ..

Postby dennispc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Dennis, you're eating nicely I see. Are you touring around?

We wish! Old photos Gill, cf buffet dessert and guests' table laid out as a buffet.

Glad the exhibition went well, loved that boat painting.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 am

ah well, it's not long now till summer (hols), Dennis. You'll be eating buffet food soon enough.

OOoooo, I've got a pic of our steak freetes.

Postby mark111757 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Growing up, there was a sit down Chinese place. Real tables and real menus and real ffod,not the mass takeaway kind. Favs were char siu ding with oyster sauce for mum and dad. The ginger was so good. Mine was roast pork egg too young.we asked for both with extra gravy. Big chunks of pork. You could tell it was not slapped together like most takeaway places. Sadly it closed and the mom and pop that ran it, were hired to Cook at a local uni. Lucky were the folks that got that. The sweet and sour chix had chunks of breast meat. Not bits of thigh. So so good. Miss those days. Some of the best Chinese in my mind.

Postby mark111757 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:42 pm

As far American portions, the me m and pop/independent eating places offer huge portions and sides. Northern portions as James martin would refer to them.excellent value for money and ic you left the table hungry, it was your own fault. Also good for customer relations. Word of mouth advertising, if you will. It keeps people coming in. And now a days with yelp and trip advisor, you need to be game von all the time. You just can't fine it in anymore.

As much as i despise guy fieri, the places on DDD, are good examples....huge portions, good food and excellent value for the money. And I thi ink you Will find very few who would complain about that

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Riding the Crest of The Waves with Three Michelin Chef & Author Angel Leon ..

Restaurante Aponiente, El Puerta de Santa Maria, Cádiz. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Riding the crest of the waves with a totally evolutionary vanguard cuisine from the sea, offering an
experience that Chef León entitles calm gastronomy is one of a kind Angél León.

Angél has conjured up an epicurism with the enchantment of the world under the sea. He has proven himself a master
investigator of Plankton, marine lettuces, and algaes, which he filters in his own concoctions from his patented gadgets.

Additionally, he is an expert in fish, shellfish and seafood preparations and a licensed Fisherman. He had invented THE JAPANESE CLARIMAX, for
clarifying liquid ingredients to créate transparent consommés and utlises olive pits in place of carbón for braising, grilling and open flame barbecuing.

His pure Andalusian hedonism has brought him many awards at Madrid Fusion and the teachings of his medical doctor mother
has instilled in him, the investigative nature .. He has researched projects at the University of Cadiz, derived in the development of the state of The Art CLARIMAX constructed by JP SELECTA IN BARCELONA. Whether coaching, cooking or fishing, Chef León is a detail oriented perfectionist.

His "product" is his culinary philosophy and his methodologies are enrapturing local fish, shellfish and seafood varieties in all his degustations & menus.
NO CHEMICALS are used in his preparations.

He worked under the Late Joël Robuchon for 7 years.

The carte my dear and I had:
ONE OF A KIND MARINE EXIXIRS:
Salmuera Gaditana: a marine based antipasto palate opener.
Magnificant Marine Plankton Foam with freshly netted clams, mussels and fresh Moroccan lemon.
Freshly caught Mackarel Sashimi marinated in sea salt.
Exotic Marinated Gilt Bream with wasabi saffron infusión.
Phenomenal grilled sardines on olive pits with spearmint confit.
Perfectly prepared Lula Portuguese Squid Puntilla Calamar Ravioli filled with squid stew interiors.
Incredibly White fleshed silky textured Whole Fish, BORRIQUETE OR BURRO FISH and in English: RUBBER LIP GRUNT fish served with a mint tea
consommé.

The Outstanding Desserts:
San Domingo Jerez Pale Cream Chocolate perfume with sour orange concoction.
Dandelion flower and Granny Apple Burst and it does BURST !!

An unforgettable experience .. One of the best restaurants in the country of Spain.

Have a nice day. :wave

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:13 pm

Most of that sounds good to me but it wouldn't do for M I'm afraid. I find raw anything - other than oysters and sea urchins difficult.

Glad you had a meal you both enjoyed so much though.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Joan,

Thank you for all your feedback. :thumbsup

It was simply extraordinarily amazing.

Have a lovely weekend. :wave

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Member 461, that meal does sound truly a "simply extraordinarily amazing" meal. Do you really like the dishes or feel obliged to like them as a possible tour venue because of the design and engineering effort?

We tend to say "liked that, didn't like that" whereas you seem to like all of these exquisitely convoluted things, like fresh sardine & spearmint? Or delicate Gilt bream with wasabi? Or maybe like us, some you like some you don't?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Jeral,

Firstly, Restaurant Aponiente is an unforgettable adventure in which one savors the mysteries of the sea, its taste, its aromas and its textures inspired by the evocative food notes in a unique magical setting on the coast of El Puerta de Santa Maria, Cádiz ..

Furthermore, Chef León has cataologued 100,000 marine species and has constituted algaes, marina flora, and marine fauna as the most quintessential of his extensive work with phyto plankton and the ideal means of culinary diathermy for heating. A total genius in his field and an amazing author, researcher and inventor as well.

This is not just a 10 plate degustation. I have eaten in almost every Michelin Restaurant in Spain (32 if I recall), and uncountable Michelin Restaurants in Italy, Portugal and France and around the world, Tokyo and Hong Kong, Eric Ripert in Manhattan at Le Bernardin & Chef Gordon Ramsay at Maze in London, amongst many others.

All ten of the dishes we had the last time we were at Restaurant Aponiente, were jewels for the palate.

This is not always the case when eating 10 degustation dishes !

However, at Restaurant Aponiente, each dish is heaven on earth ! :yum

As mentioned above, Chef León worked for the late, 30 Michelin Star Chef Joél Robuchon for seven years, a powerhouse of French Michelin Star Cuisine.

It is one of our favorite restaurants, and as you know we are predominately pescatarians so with this in mind, it was an exemplary excursion for the palate and sentiments.

This should answer your enquiry.

Have a nice weekend. :wave

Postby Amyw » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:27 pm

So basically , yes you enjoyed each course :mrgreen:

Unfortunately , I cannot reach the giddy heights of Member 461 , but I was in Vegas last week and ate at Gordon Ramsay’s fish and chip restaurant, when he was in the kitchen ! I’m sure he prepared my meal by hand :klingonbanana . Didn’t see the man himself but the fish and chips were “exquisitely sublime “

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Glad you enjoyed Rambo's fish & chips Amy :thumbsup

I guess you could say you had an unforgettable adventure where you savoured the mysteries of the sea then - a veritable jewel for the palate - an exemplary excursion in fact!

I now have an irresistible urge to l :lol: ugh uncontrollably :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox