Register

The restaurants I've been to!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The restaurants I've been to!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:42 pm

Sounds great Petronius

Trying to think of my favourite place in Bristol - I can find it, it’s in the pedestrian area off harbour side, just before you get to the little ferry that goes over to the SS Gt Britain but I can’t think of the name

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Petronius,

Truly nice food photographs ! :thumbsup

Have a lovely summer .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:33 pm

One of the loveliest seafront outdoor terraced
Restaurants we had been to is:

Casa d´Oro :thumbsup
Rua do Ouro
Porto, Northern Portugal

They have an organic farm which supplies the restaurant with all their salad greens and fresh herbs.

The specialties of the restaurant are: :thumbsup :thumbsup

The wild amberjack ceviche ..
The wild sweet and sour Lobster ..
The smoked eel, prepared with buffalo milk icecream and roses ! Exquisitely sublime appetiser ..

Best regards from Porto .. Have a lovely summer :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Sounds lovely Member 461, unless one is not a fish eater. I am, but my vegan friends are in Greece and are hoping they won't starve despite the excellent fresh meat and fish no doubt on offer.

Petronius, I'd say pretty good overall although better service in the first one you mention would have boosted the score a lot wouldn't it.

Re eggs, I gather that shaking an egg before cracking it centres the yolk, possibly by distributing/emulsifying the water in the white evenly. Then again, I have seen fried and poached eggs trimmed to perfection with a pastry cutter, but that's cheating.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Jeral,

The carte has approx. 15 salads offered, and a few are veered toward a Vegan dietary choice.

No fish, no meat, no poultry, no eggs, no dairy ..

Greens and grains !

The restaurant also provides gluten free and lactose free cartes.
This is asked upon making a reservation especially for a group !

It is very well known in Porto ..

Have a nice summer ..

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Jeral,

Greece and Vegan Dietary Choices ..

Though salads & olives and fruits, figs, and pistachios, almonds are plentiful as well as
legumes (beans or pulses & Split peas, and Mezze: Greek Hummus, Greek Baba gha nuj (aubergine etcetra)

However, this depends on which part of Greece !

Postby jeral » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 am

Thanks Member 461 - my friends will like all of the fresh fruit and veg things as well as flatbreads and other carbs needed for their hill climbs, so I'm sure they'll thrive in Greece especially if weather is favourable and of course being stress-free away from work :)

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:00 am

Jeral,

Surely, your Vegan Friends shall have no problem in Greece.

Have a lovely day. :wave

Postby dennispc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:10 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Trying to think of my favourite place in Bristol - I can find it, it’s in the pedestrian area off harbour side, just before you get to the little ferry that goes over to the SS Gt Britain but I can’t think of the name

Could be Wetherspoons Sue! ;)

Is it near Arnolfini perhaps? All the ones along the Waterfront are chains.

Postby dennispc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 am

Jeral, the poor service was such a contrast to the lovely staff at the hotel who were so, so friendly. However,

Sunday morning, Devon daughter rang - took us to coffee plus breakfast with somewhere new to us, Otter Valley Ice Cream and Field Kitchen. Lovely new place, used to be a just an ice cream venue in a lay by.

https://www.ottervalleydairy.co.uk/

Now they have a pizza oven and those did look good. Car park and toilets - very clean. Really friendly staff. Busy on a weekend but we’ll go for lunch in mid week some time.

view.jpg

otter.jpg

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:00 pm

What a super place to visit Dennis with lovely views! Those ice creams look so delicious, but I always choose vanilla.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Petronius wrote:Is it near Arnolfini perhaps? All the ones along the Waterfront are chains.

No, found it, not a chain, not near the Arnolfini. It’s where the Cross harbour ferry, the little shuttle boat, goes over to the SS Great Britain from the little dock on the Millennium Promenade. And it is called Broken Dock.

The website is rubbish
https://www.brokendock.co.uk/thedock

Postby Linnet » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Dennis - we have always stopped at the Otter Valley for icecreams when travelling down to my sister in Devon, and were pleased to see they were expanding last year; we were down again two weeks ago and made sure to call! I agree that they are all so pleasant, and it is really clean. Well worth knowing about.

Postby dennispc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:24 am

Sue, didn't walk that far as the easiest route for us was blocked by an outside concert area. Next time.

Linnet, we noticed they're revamping their ice cream outlet to keep it separate from the main restaurant. As we left it was easy to see why. They'd had to split the queuing between those for ice cream and others for food.

it's probably nearly an hour's drive for us so not exactly convenient for lunch, but I think we might make an exception! Soon.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:00 am

Some restaurants just don't get how important service is.
We've come away from an old hotel in Puente la Reina, and everything is geared to the staff. But not the customer.
Waiting to put the car in their secure garage for example, I had to wait for food orders to be honoured before the gave me the key.

Of course, with slow inefficient service all round, people were walking out, unattended.

And the salmon with pineapple chips (that's what they were, batons of pineapple fruit), was interesting. Chef was having an experimental day.
I didn't mind it, but expected more a salsa as such.

Where did you stay in Bristol?
I'm going next week, commuting daily. But we fancy 2 nights there at the weekend.

nothing fancy

Ditto, Binky.
We dine very simply. With one or 2 swanky meals out, but on this occasion, everything was simple or even basic.
No posh nosh for 3 weeks.

Postby dennispc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:32 pm

We stayed at the Bristol Hotel, right by the Harbourside - spoiling ourselves. :thumbsup The building contains an NCP car park, free to hotel guests. They do two night specials and seem amiable to chatting through their best offers.

Sue’s recommended place is easily walkable.

Not far in the other direction is a the Glass Boat - says fine dining, eaten there a few times over the years, it’s good but I think the ‘fine’ is more gloss than substance.

Interestingly we’ve discovered the Lido is their’s too. Spent £2million to refurbish and bring it up to the place it is now.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks Dennis.
The hotel is coming up a bit pricey for our budget at the dates we want, despite looking like they have rooms for £89.
But I've subscribed to offers for a future time.

Postby dennispc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Radisson Blu close by would probably be the same. There's a Premier Inn near the Glass Boat and a Marriott near the Cathedral. Bristol hotel seems especially high Saturday night.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 pm

You can't go wrong with a Premier Inn usually, Dennis.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:14 pm

In no particular order, save upload order:

My favourite salad, ensalada rusa, no tuna!

a carpaccio to share:

such a fantastic Indian - washed down with water to make it even hotter:

Pepperoni pizza & gnocchi for me:

carbonara pasta & tuna and tomato salad for moi:

To share, a selection of meats, and a goats cheese salad:

A better goats cheese salad:

Sardinas:

Dorada:

Mussels and almejas for me:

Prawn stuffed asparagus and spinach sauce:

That's about it.
I do lose weight usually on holiday, as we load up on salads.
And never eat puddings, as you can see.

Ah well, all over for another summer. I'd better get in that kitchen and start cooking for a change.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox