Register

The restaurants I've been to!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The restaurants I've been to!

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:04 pm

I'm probably not qualified to comment here.
Never been to Nando's, Gregg's or Subway.
Last went to McDonald's in Nov 2016, last went to KFC when I lived in Sheffield in the 70s.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 am

We went to Nando's once, several years ago. I remember thinking it was OK (they had chicken livers on the menu, that's to be applauded) but I have never felt the need to return. Mrs B went to another one a couple of years ago with the girls, but wasn't particularly impressed.

I used to love KFC when it first opened in Tottenham High Road, but I was a teenager at the time. Mrs B had never had it, so I treated her (!) to a takeaway from the local version. It was perfectly alright. I preferred KFP (pigeon) when they did it at the White Horse in Wareside

We probably have half a dozen takeaways a year. We've had two in the last week, Thai and F&C, but I cannot remember the previous one. I think the chicken was last year, we must have had a Chinese this year, but we're definitely a bit short of containers (I use them in the freezer until they break), it can't have been in the last few months. Surely we'll have F&C in Wells next month :thumbsup

I think I had a Subway in the States, but it might have been a competitor. Definitely had it when we were decorating the hall for niece's wedding. Also at Brussels station. Not inspiring. Walked out of a McDonalds because they were too slow, otherwise bought a bag of chips for someone else on one occasion, had a cheeseburger once, and a cup of tea another time. Had BK once at Stansted in the days when it was quiet. How do people get fat on that stuff? Everything seems so tiny - I had a breakfast muffin that looked the size of a CD in the photo but was in reality a similar diameter to a digestive biscuit. Goodness knows the size of the pigs and chickens they use for the miniature eggs and bacon. :D

Postby dennispc » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:32 am

Can't remember the last time we had a take away. Probably Chinese when the kids were round for a birthday, worth it as there's a lot of choice with a crowd. But no longer fish 'n chips, by the time we get them home, the chips are soggy.

Made a big mistake on Easy Jet to Greece, 7am flight. I eat very little when travelling so chose a croissant. It was cold, flat and tasteless. Apple Juice was nice though.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:41 am

Our kids used to love KFC in the 80s when one arrived near us and they used to have it as a treat on a Friday now and then when I had lost the will to live , let alone cook!

I have never been in a Macdos nor a Subway although I seem to remeber DD used to grab something for a quick lunch when she was in Virginia. I had never heard of Nandos until the last time we were in London and 2 of the GCs asked to go there for lunch. We weren't with them that day.

When DD was a student in Grenoble she found some work in the Quick restaurant but only lasted a week because she was so horrified at the standard of the ingredients, the bullying and the rudeness of the customers.

Take-aways, other than fom the pizza vans are just unknown here though the local traiteurs are popular and most are very very good.

My 2 favourites are both in Jersey. A wonderful Chinese and an even better Thai.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:05 pm

The quality in some of the chains is very varied as they are mainly franchises.
Where I live, there are 3 KFC's (1 halal so I don't use it). Of the other 2, 1 is consistently excellent, the other consistently abominable.
I quite like Subways, when I'm in the mood, because you can build what you want on the roll and if it's one that has high footfall, the ingredients are always freshly prepared.
McD's - only ever been in one in the Netherlands, where I had a fillet of fish, which was quite nice.
Nando's - never been.
Turtle Bay - I find them very inconsistent but always very expensive. I've had 3 meals from the one in my town - the first was excellent, the second so-so, the third cold and the mac n' cheese didn't have any cheese in it. At £19 for 2 panko'd chicken thighs, a portion of mac n' cheese and 4 very small sweetcorn fritters it's too expensive to risk another order.
Burger King - never been.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:20 pm

I tend not to use takeaways as I can eat out within a very short distance of my front door
I’ve had McDonald’s a few times, I used to enjoy an annual Big Mac simply because so different to anything I’d usually eat. Quite liked the breakfast muffin the first time I had it but thought it revolting the second time, the cheese was gross

I used to quite like Taco Bell but they departed these shores long ago, though I hear they are returning

I had Subway once, would only eat veggie options in future, the cold cuts were appalling, which was a shame as everything else was good

I might have done better at Nando’s if I’d had time to read the menu properly, but we were on the kids’ schedule :starwars

Postby smitch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:34 pm

I like a McD every now and again. The veggie option at the moment isn’t great. Really enjoyed the veggie burger on our recent holiday to the Netherlands and Belgium though.

Not keen on Burger King and it seems expensive for what it is. Never had KFC, no veggie options. Subway was the last thing I ate before I ended up in A&E so don’t think I can bring myself to eat it again, even if it didn’t cause the :vomit

Haven’t been to Nando’s in ages. I used to live opposite a branch which was pretty decent. They do a few veggie options too. I agree with the others that they are variable and the chips are not great.

We’ve got a Taco Bell in Manchester but I’ve never tried it. It’s in the Arndale centre food court which is hideous. I do like a burrito or burrito bowl and loved Chipotle in the US. Found it really disappointing in London though. We’ve got a good burrito place not far from my office so I go there.

Postby dennispc » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:17 pm

It's Somerset Arts Week, lasts a fortnight, with artists opening up studios for the public to view their work. Yesterday, we took ourselves off to the wilds of West Somerset, thoroughly enjoyed one studio, Ann Farley, and then went for lunch at the Blue Ball at Triscombe - a bit out of the way but right under the southern edge of the Quantocks. We went there a few years ago.

OH had a giant bowl of mussels - amongst the best ever she thought - and I had Roasted Sea Bass, stuffed full of fresh herbs - delicious. Apparently, it recently changed hands, they've got nothing to worry about.

Postby dennispc » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Coming home from Symi, we cleared Bristol Airport within about 20 minutes, travelling south on the A38 then hit road works! Crossing over the M5 to join it, going south was at a standstill. We stopped at a restaurant that’s recently been refurbished - Brent House restaurant, south of Weston Super Mare

Lovely staff, three of us had the carvery,

carvery.jpg

but I had haddock with a veloute sauce, delicious.

half haddock.jpg

We didn’t need anything when we got home, the M5 by then had cleared. Lovely end to a great experience.

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Petronius, the two photos look like the perfect dichotomy between "welcome home" grub and "missing you already" Symi vistas and grub.

Both plates look delicious and strangely not a "proper" chip in sight. What did you miss most whilst in Symi? (I read somewhere that most holidaying Brits carry teabags in their luggage.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:39 pm

A home coming meal is a great thing, that looks good

I’ve been known to go to one of my neighbours, either the noodle bar or auntie’s Thai cafė on arriving home
Or, on return from Thailand to the fish and chip shop, you can overdose on fish sauce

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:50 am

Jeral, as a general rule I don’t miss anything when in other countries, though confess :oops: we always pack peppermint/mint tea bags. We do that anyway, even when popping in to see family in UK.

For the fist time, in a long time, we were choosing our food and not relying on a hotel or boat. I loved it, bearing in mind that most days of the year I have a salad anyway, so Symi was perfect.

I made one mistake, unfortunately for the last evening meal, chose Mussels Saganaki (sp?) simply because I’ve never heard of it.

saganaki.JPG

It wasn't just the sauce that was all wrong (it included feta), but the mussels were small.

The reason I chose a fish dish in the UK was because I hadn't had any fish during the week apart from the mussels. The price of fish in Symi was high. The menu gives the price per kg so you never know how much a particular dish might be. As the restaurant was on the quay side where the fisherman unload their catch, I thought they were taking advantage.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:00 am

Oh dear those mussels do look rather odd, sort of gloopy! I don't mind the small mussels. In fact M, who is a late convert to mussels, will not eat the large ones.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:43 am

Saga (old) + naki (knackered) ergo saganaki mussels are knackered old mussels....... you know I'm right!

:klingonbanana

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:53 am

That sauce does look worryingly gravy-like Dennis
And not quite what I’d expect from Saganaki, which usually involves a lump of fried cheese though can be almost anything

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saganaki

The thing I often miss when away is strong cheese, depending on where I go. After a week in Beijing cheddar was what I craved

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Binky wrote:Saga (old) + naki (knackered) ergo saganaki mussels are knackered old mussels....... you know I'm right!

:klingonbanana

:lol:

You certainly are! :clap

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm

At the same restaurant, Mythos Taverna, daughter chose this, stuffed squid

squid.jpg

OH had a lovely moussaka (blurred photo), and SiL beef, he eats fast, all gone before I could click. :roll:

Postby dennispc » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:01 pm

Now here’s something you will not often see. Me having a cooked breakfast in a hotel. It’s rare at home as well, but dislike buffet cooked food that most hotels serve.

breakfast.jpg

For a birthday surprise for OH, we had a family evening meal at the Cleve Hotel, Somerset. Until she walked into the restaurant she didn’t realise nine of our family would be joining us.

Food was delicious and the staff just lovely. To save anyone having to ferry us around, we stayed overnight.

Continental breakfast, with everything we like, was a buffet, but anything cooked was done to order.

We were very happy.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:23 pm

That reads and looks lovely Petronius. What a good idea to stay overnight.

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:27 am

Petronius, I reckon mark111757 will be tearing his hair out at the perfection of them there poached eggs, as will many of us I suspect 8-)

Belated happy birthday to the Missus and so glad the evening was a success :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox