Register

The restaurants I've been to!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The restaurants I've been to!

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Member 461, yes, thank you for posting to answer my enquiry.

Amyw, according to TV you'd probably have heard GR before seeing him ;) I'm envious though of the chips that you and others mention often. Decent chips seem to be as tricky as finding the Holy Grail so I'm tempted to book an LA ticket on your recommendation... A new chippy opened locally so gave it a try. Guess what? Yet another "good fish but why the heck can't chippies cook decent chips?"

A new resto, mostly sourdough pizza dedicated, has opened locally with good reports, so will be trying that tomorrow as surprisingly they open on Sundays.

Postby Amyw » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:52 pm

I agree jeral . Out of all the carby accompaniments to a meal , I always think chips can vary the most in quality , from the vile to the truly amazing . The best chips I’ve ever had were in Jamie’s Italian , now closed . They were a good chunky chip, crisp on the outside , fluffy in the middle , fried with crunchy little slivers of garlic and rosemary too . Wonderful ...,

Postby miss mouse » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:29 pm

jeral wrote: Yet another "good fish but why the heck can't chippies cook decent chips?"

My guess is the crappy cooking oil they use.

Wow Amyw, what exciting F&C.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:12 pm

The best chips I have ever had were at Quo Vadis in London last summer !I never eat chips in a restaurant as a rule but these were to die for.

We have just returned home from a delicious lunch at a favourite local restaurant. As usual it was fully booked for Sunday lunch, almost exclusively by locals which says all one needs to know,

I had a canelloni made from cescina filled with feta cheese and herbs on a bed of parmesan crumble and a red cabbage and apple slaw dressed with raspberry vinegar. I've never seen such finely shredded vegetables. Then hay roasted calves sweetbreads with cauliflower puree and trompets des morts mushrooms and a veal reduction all topped with chopped toasted hazelnuts. Desert was a raspberry and marscapone tartlet with chocolate tuille shards , a raspberry sorbet and syrup.
M's main was cod fillet cooked in coconut milk ( :vomit ) and roucou oil with a palntain crisp and bitter chocolate and a Jerusalem artichoke puree. He said it was a wonderful combination., although he was unsure when he oredered it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Joan,

Your lunch sounds extraordinary. :yum :yum

You have a witty humor when it comes to coconut !!

I am not a fan of coconut either !

Have a lovely evening. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Member 461. The thing it that it wasn't extrordinary - just the norm for that restaurant and one of the reasons we go so frequently. I hate wasting time and money on unreliable places and also hate restaurants who rarely change their menus.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Joan,

I am veered to agree about the frequency of changing menus.

The norm in Spain for "regular laboral lunch menus" is daily, however degustations at Michelin level normally change seasonally and have special cartes for festive days.

Of course upscale venues and foreign restaurants have a menú (a la carte) and their "daily specials" which are usually told to the diners.

Have a lovely day. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Sunday 17th March ..

Restaurant Marea Alta ( High Tide ) .. Barcelona ..
Edifico Colón
25th Floor
Seafront
Barcelona

Today, we celebrated Father´s Day which is actually on the 19th (Saint Joseph Day) ..

The Chef, Enrique Valentí´s culinary philosophy is that he stands hand in hand with local humble traditions, choosing unique produce and creating refined dishes in the name of authenticity and art in cuisine.

The views of the sea and city are bespoken.

The specialties of the establishment are shellfish, seafood and finned fish. No foams or nitrogen liquid are utilised here, though the Chef
worked at El Bullí.

The terrace for an appetiser & beverage of choice and has the Wood flooring from an old boat and
white canvas stage director chairs with tiny wooden tables.

Lunch for me:
Main Entrée:
Fresh sea scallops, with coral flavored black rice.

Most of the fresh catches of the day are braised on flame and are simply heavenly.

We all had a different species of seafood or shellfish or finned fish.

So, it was like a forkbite of this and a forkbite of that.

This is why I had only ordered a main entrée verses a starter and main course.

Dessert:

Mille feuille with fresh rasberries, dark chocolate, white chocolate
& caramel.

Our grandsons polished it off !

My dad shared an amazing dish with my mom, slices of fresh swordfish, endives wilted, artichokes,
sea truffles ( Clam which resembles a white truffle ) panfried with baby tomatoes and a clove or two of garlic served in the Mille
Feuille style of layering .. ( Called Nieddittas in Italian ad they are a type of clam with a rough Shell which looks like a White truffle ).

Have a nice day. :wave
Last edited by Alexandria on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Sounds good to me Member 461. What are sea tuffles?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Joan, I was at Quo Vadis again a couple of weeks ago and I have to tell you that the chips are still absolutely excellent! My chum couldn’t believe how good they were.

:birthday-dancer

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Joan,

Nieddittas (Italian) or Sea Truffles as they are called:

Are a small clam which are quite delicate and the outer mollusk Shell resembles a " white truffle " in color and texture,
as they are rough and rocky like a truffle (not smooth like the majority of clams).

They are from Italy.

Have a lovely day. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Joan,

Sorry, I did not see your 2nd post until just now (18.00 )

The Sea Scallops I had at Restaurant Marea ( High Tide ) were prepared with:

12 Sea Scallops
Lime Marinated
Cilantro (not over kill .. gently used)
Sea salt
Aji and Fresno Chili Peppers (perhaps a teaspoon or 2 at most )
Pomegranate Seeds lightly utilised
A drizzle of a very light Green Evoo (extra virgin olive oil )

Very light and exceptionally lovely ..

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Today, Mothering Sunday our children plotted with Mannu our chef friend and organised a special lunch for us, It was amazing and he tried out a couple of new ideas on us before adding them to his latest menu.

The amuse bouche was a jellied chicken and spring veg with tarragon verrine.

Starter a marbled foie gras with violet artichokes between the layers and an artichoke mouuse with a chicken jus vinaigrette

main was line caught pollack (Lieu jaune)perfectly cooked and on a bed of spring vegetables with a morels and white white sauce.

My dessert was a sable biscuit topped with a calvados cream and carramelised appleencased in wafer then tuiles and served with a salted caramel icecream. Sheer heaven on earth.

We had a glass of muscat de Beaumes de Venise with the foie gras. Condrieu with the fish and demi sec champagne with the dessert.- all arranged for us. Of course it would have been lovely to be with them but this was such a lovely surprise.

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:42 pm

How lovely Joanbunting and especially that it was arranged by your babes for you with your friend chef Mannu who probably knows your tastes.

You and M must give Mannu inspiration for dreaming up new things you'll approve of ready for the new season's menu. Win-Win :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:29 pm

Joan,

Sounds like a gastro phenonmenon !

Pleased to hear that you had such an amazing "surprise lunch" .. :wino

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:09 pm

Sounds wonderful Joan!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:35 am

It was indeed rather wonderful. I absolutely love it when Mannu is trying out new ideas, methods and ingredients because as jeral said we really do have very similar tastes.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:47 pm

That sounds absolutely divine, Joan !
So glad you enjoyed it. :clap

Postby Alexandria » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:13 pm

Sitigès ..

Intrèpid de Sitgès ..
P. de Villanova 12
Reservations Higly Suggested: 93 / 811. 0 2 5 0 .

This enchanting coastal refuge for
foodies is devoted to the vast variety of Mediterranean
Traditional rices.

The arroz negro with sepia (squid ) and the Rossejat prepared like
a Fideuà Marinero (a sailor´s noodle shellfish and seafood Paella )
were truly extraordinary.

Definitely a seaside haven with sea views however, the key, amazing rices.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:58 am

We went to our excellent Thai restaurant again. The Siam Smile : https://www.siamsmile.co.uk/index.html
It's next to the Champignon Sauvage, so we are blessed to have 2 fine places one street away from our house.

Their Singapore noodles are particularly nicely done, as they aren't tumbled together.
You can sprinkle with the chillies condiment or not. We do. Splutter Splutter!!!!

And their sauces are light. Joan, I cannot really detect coconut, but it might be there in the Green and Red curries.

Really nice place.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox