Register

The restaurants I've been to!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The restaurants I've been to!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am

Now that's my idea of a proper breakfast Dennis. I can't stand buffets either.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Some of us ate at Quo Vadis lat year. Here is a reflection of his cooking life from chef Jeremy Lee.

https://www.themodernhouse.com/journal/ ... eremy-lee/

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:34 am

On a related note, I'm looking forward to getting my copy of The Book of St John. I might have to hand it over to SIL in order to get it back at Christmas however...

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:59 am

Diana Henry reviewed that in the Telegraph BM. Might be behind a paywall though. She loved it.

Postby Renee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 am

Pepper Pig, thank you so much for the link. I knew nothing about Jeremy Lee and found his life story quite fascinating to read through. He obviously inherited some of his mother's genes.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks PP. I'm sure the book will be a belter, if only for the recipes, but the other stuff will be great too.

Postby dennispc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Does Sainsbury's cafe count?

Running late for a morning shop, decided to have lunch there - sausage mash and beef lasagne, at £5 and £4.50 we were happy for a lightish lunch.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Just come back from one of our favourite local restaurants where we sat on the terrace.

About 45 minutes after we arrive another English couple rolled up - incredibly loud and posh but the best bit was that they were wearing solar topees :o :o . The conversed at the tops of their braying voices and it was all about "Their friend Boris". We were both totally gobsmacked.

Letitia, the co-owner, whispered to us that they were titled, had a holiday home near here and rolled up a couple of times a year but had never learned to speak even polite French. They made us feel dreadful for being British -we didn't speak a word of our native language after their arrival.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm

You can see how the whole Brits abroad thing has come about by the way certain people behave

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:49 pm

Can't you just Amy.

Very best wishes for tomorrow :newhuggy

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:45 am

Absolutely Amy! I think that it's ignorant to speak so loudly in a restaurant.

:newhuggy Best wishes from me too for tomorrow.

Postby dennispc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Loud mouth Englishman at a restaurant on Symi. Food was delicious, I had rabbit in a red wine sauce to die for, though bean salad wasn’t as good as mine! ;)

View from restaurant was lovely, particularly the sunset.

He reckoned they'd been waiting 27minutes for their order to be taken.

The waiter explained he was busy, etc., etc., and called the owner, also the chef. A somewhat large Greek with head of hair and moustache to match. Lots of shouting and the three customers walked out, though the Brit made sure we all knew he filmed it on his mobile.

Gave a bad review on tripadvisor, his 27 minutes was now two lots of twenty, fortunately two customers who were there gave it 5 stars.

Postby Renee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:54 pm

Good! People tend to ignore the one or two bad reviews if there are plenty of good ones.

Postby dennispc » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Langland Brasserie, Langland Bay, Gower.

the rest.jpg

Three shared, and I had mussels, starter portion.

mussels.jpg

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Petronius wrote:Langland Brasserie, Langland Bay, Gower.

Very envious Dennis - homesick now!!! - looks lovely & just as lovely as that view!...……...did you do a spot of surfing?!?!

Looking forward to hear where else you went on Gower.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:27 am

Very nice too.
But how did you find the serving? It looks a little cluttered and elaborate? Correct me if I'm totally wrong ................

Postby Meganthemog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 am

I live in Swansea and love Langland Brasserie and go there at least once a month. Their fish platter to share is fantastic value. I'd love to know where else you have been Petronius -Swansea's restaurants have upped their game in recent years and we now have a Michelin starred one too!

Postby Binky » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:29 pm

Oh dear, joan. I hope it didn't spoil your meal. There's nothing worse in my opinion than a loud mouth boor seated near us in a restaurant. The embarrassment is doubled if it's a fellow Brit.

As for the mussels, I have probably told this story before but we were driving through a town in New Zealand which claimed to be the green lipped mussel capital of the world. We stopped for lunch. Everyone was slurping through mussels, wine and lovely bread. We ate, carried on to our accommodation and OH was violently ill for 24 hrs. We didn't know, but he has a shellfish allergy......

:crying2

Postby Binky » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:32 pm

this was the restaurant

https://www.themusselpot.co.nz/

Postby dennispc » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:24 am

Good morning, here’s a foody run down of our weekend in the Mumbles, I'll add a bit more in Chatterbox sometime.

Friday evening, with grandson and girlfriend, meal at hotel which was well cooked and tasty; two had lemon sole and two a chicken dish. When we were asked was everything all right, OH said yes, but not enough sauce - they brought out more. Good service.

Hotel breakfast was good - buffet for cereal, fruit (dried and fresh) toast, tea and coffee. Cooked was freshly done - I thought of you Joan!

Saturday morning, Oxwich Bay for a late coffee at hotel on the beach. Lunch at an Italian place, western end of Mumbles, beyond the pier (we think). We chose from the Tapas menu. Enjoyed it all.

tapas.jpg

Evening meal was supposed to be grandson’s fish pie. He’d made two a week ago and put one in the freezer for our visit. Unfortunately, he hadn’t taken it out of the freezer in time so we finished up in Verdi’s - a pasta, pizza place. Pretty basic, but freshly cooked and my penne with sausage pieces (meat balls?) was delicious. Far too much, but having a grandson along has its advantages!

Sunday, late coffee at a wooden building above Rossili Beach - lovely scones though GS had a cream tea!

Even later lunch at Langland’s and yes, Gill that table was crowded as was the restaurant. In fact we moved stuff around to help the poor server. Bread with my mussels by the way was like a brioche with an occasional sultana, strange. The other bread on the table was good, don’t think it was a sourdough, but boule shaped.

Megan, GS took his girlfriend there for her birthday, they did the sharing platter - the photos were impressive.

Sunday evening, we had sandwiches in the bar. Travelled home Monday, jacket, butter, grated cheese, baked beans and any bits of salad from the fridge. Back to normality! But with happy memories.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox