Register

Pancake party

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Pancake party

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am

Clive - it's only pampered when it has a manicure as well :klingonbanana

Reness as it happens I have just oredered, at vast expense some proper oatmeal. Completely unkown here even in the organic health food shops. Porridge oats yes oatmeal ...... .I make Drbyshire style oatcakes from a recipe passed on to my s-i-l who lives in the Peak District. I have a yen for oatcakes and Cranachan - not together of course.

There was a lovely recipe in this months Saveurs for what looks like cannelonibut is in fact crepes filled with spinach and ricotta then cut in half and fitted into a dish so the filling shows then covered with Parmesan and breadcrumbs and grilled. I'm seriously thinking of that as one dish but I don't think the birthdaay girl or her husband like spinach. Any way the Crepes Suzette are a must and I don't want to do two lots of crepes - not international enough!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:14 pm

Re oat porridge, I reckon it's the thing that most exemplifies the difference in flavour if salt is added. Just thought I'd mention that *whistles*

Joanbunting, on international...

Pot stickers? Filling of choice so as not to clash. (Could swap your cheese & spinach for ham & mushroom, or fish/shrimp.)

What about any Bahamian things like Jamaica patties?

Go Tex Mex with tacos or wraps? E.g. the veggie chickpea and cauli one I posted in Pairings:
https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/roas ... pea-tacos/

Dunno about Oz; where's Bill Granger when you need him?

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:28 pm

I was just getting some home-made yoghurt going and it reminded me of that fresh coriander & mint dip (3:1), often served with poppadoms and shish kebabs.

I'm not sure what else if anything typical Indian restaurants add as some recipes include one or more of: spot of caster sugar, garlic, cumin; even cayenne or chilli powder, which seems daft to me if a cooling/refreshing dip. Whatever suits I suppose.

Have you decided on a menu yet?

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:50 am

Hi Jeral.

Just about because I need to see exactly what is available towards the end of the week. I'm hoping for some smoked eel to make one of the toppings for the blinis

The main course it deffinitely to be Crispy dusk with pancakes, spring onions and hoisin. I managed to get a decent jar of the later from UK thanks to DS
I may add tortillas with a DIY filling from a selection.

Crepes Suzette are a must , the birthday girl has specially requested them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Availability is a thing isn't it? Sometimes I order fresh things online that are critical for a dish and that I can't get locally and you can bet your life it'll be the one thing that doesn't arrive (saying "saying not available"). Ocado is very good in that if it's available at time of order you get it. Incidentally, I see that M&S has Ocado and Waitrose in their sights as takeovers. Hmm.

I did wonder how come you could get plantains (mentioned elsewhere).

Anyway, fingers crossed for you.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:02 am

The main course it deffinitely to be Crispy dusk with pancakes

I imagine that´s some kind of bird that flies out between 6-7pm? :gonzo

( Sorry, Rats - couldn´t resist!!)

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I imagine that´s some kind of bird that flies out between 6-7pm? :gonzo

( Sorry, Rats - couldn´t resist!!)

:clap :clap . No matter how hard I try I always write the thing that quacks like that, even when using a pen!

Have you any suggestions for corn tortilla fillings Clive?

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 pm

Last year I was eating the best tortillas in the world - in Mexico City.
My first was something called " cochinito pibil" - pork marinated in orange juice, annato seeds, tomato and onion, cooked in banana leaves for hours until the meat falls apart. I´m not suggesting you use the same recipe, but the idea might work.
Then there was Chicken Mole - another tricky one, perhaps...
HOWEVER, in the street kiosks, you´d see the vendors chopping up chicken, dousing it will fresh chile sauce or with " chiles toreados" ( chiles which had been grilled), oregano, salsa, onions, red peppers, all sizzled on a hot plate then dumped into a fresh tortilla, which was duly bathed in more divine salsa and topped with fresh onion and radish salad. A similar filling was made with "chorizo" ( local pork sausages) - but the difference was that the filling of the sausage was removed and spiced first, before being fried.
One of the most delicious ones I had ( it was actually a burrito, but it´d work well with tortillas) was filled with spiced, flaked marlin. Unbelievable. Shrimp cooked in a thin green tomato sauce was also awesome.
Then there were the simple cheese tortillas. Bathed in a thin sauce made with red beans. Hot sauce options were ALWAYS on hand, from the mild(ish) to the fiery habanero ones.
You could try slow-cooking some flank (or beef ribs) with onion, garlic, tomato, coriander, beer and chiles, then shredding the meat and adding a little salsa cruda ( tomato, onion, cucumber, fresh chiles , coriander leaf, lime juice) . top with a little sour cream and white cheese.
With chicken and pork, the street vendors often have a wonderful pineapple salsa - just a variation on the classic tomato version. Mango also works for that.
Veggie versions? In some of the cantinas, they serve tacos with a smple cooked potato filling - which is then transformed by all the fresh salsas on the table. One of my favourites was " Salsa Yucatanera" - red onion, cilantro and chopped habanero chiles in lime juice.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Thanks so much Clive. I am drooling!
Funnily enough I can get banana leaves. The new supermarket called Fresh usually have them, trouble is the food miles and the amount of plastic in that shop are an affront to my environmental aspirations!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Thanks so much Clive. I am drooling!
Funnily enough I can get banana leaves. The new supermarket called Fresh usually have them, trouble is the food miles and the amount of plastic in that shop are an affront to my environmental aspirations!

Postby mark111757 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Joan

What issue of saveurs are you referring to? I have Feb 2019 and dec 2018/Jan 2019

That crepe recipe sounds dee-lish

Thank you very much

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:57 am

Are these the French versions Mark? because both UK and US versions are different. This recipe is in th February edition of th French Saveurs for February 2019.

Postby mark111757 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Joan

Thank you for the verification on the recipe.is there a standard size crepe.....Would have been helpful to have a baking dish size as well I know I am channeling Delia.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:09 pm

The traditional French crepes pan is 20cm diameter.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:13 pm

M and I were talking today about wines for the party. I'm sorted for beginning and main but am wondering about the Crepes Suzettes ? What would you serve?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 pm

My first was something called " cochinito pibil"

If anyone's interested, here's a recipe for Pollo Pibil (its poultry cousin) from a Mexican cookery course I did in the 90s; there's a salsa recipe thrown in too. Anne Reeves-Gomez who ran it was Malaysian, but her hubby was Mexican. With her SE Asian heritage, she also ran the Thai course I attended after it!

Probably my favourite Mexican dish is "Mancha Mantales" (AKA Tablecloth Stainer), although most of my knowledge is gleaned from recipe books not first hand experience :-(

I am going to order in some Mexican supplies soon, as I also have a hankering for some Mole Poblano. All three of these dishes pair quite happily with tortillas and all the trimmings, so all Pancakey!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:56 pm

That looks spot on, Sakks!
:clap

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 pm

It looks good! I noticed a mix of lime juice and orange juice which is a substitute for the bitter oranges that are available in Mexico and used in Cuban cooking. As there are plenty of Seville oranges around at the moment, I wonder if you could use those? They do freeze down well if you don't need to use them immediately and I juice them when they are just partly thawed out. Or maybe stick to the lime and orange juice!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:56 pm

Joanbunting wrote:M and I were talking today about wines for the party. I'm sorted for beginning and main but am wondering about the Crepes Suzettes ? What would you serve?

I think orange desserts are quite difficult with wine, specially if they contain alcohol

I don’t really do dessert wines much, but would probably go with Tokay Aszu or an orange muscat. Perhaps one of the fragrant Alsace dessert wines?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11 am

The discussions have ended with the decision to serve demi-sec Champagne. It is a birthday party anyway!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox