Register

Pancake party

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pancake party

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:10 pm

It is my dear friends birthday on Feb 2nd which also happens to be Chandeleur - Candlemas, the end of the Christmas season and here pancake day.

One of friend's absolute favourite things is Crepes Suzette so I;ll make those but I am thinking of doing an entire pancake meal. Perhpas blinis with toppings, Crispy duck with Chinese pancakes or anything else I or anyone else can suggest ....... Please.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Re: Pancake party

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 pm

I’ve been thinking about Shrove Tuesday and have a yen to have a go at making those lovely buckwheat galettes with cheese and egg in that you get in Brittany. Haven’t had them for a while :yum

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Joan,

Sounds amazingly wonderful as is .. Crepes Suzette are divine ! :yum :yum

There are uncountable fillings for crepes, both salty and sweet ..

Blinis are sublime exquisteness too ..

Good luck with your friend´s birthday surprise ..

1 More thing, one of my daughter in laws, owns a Creperie in the very northern part of Costa Brava, and she makes a récipe from Alain Ducasse called: Beggar´s Purse Crepes, which are filled with Apples, Pears, Plums, Apple Cider, Vanilla & Sugar and sprinkled with Confectioner´s Sugar. Very lovely dessert crepe .. :thumbsup

Have a nice weekend. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Uschi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Pancakes with (1/3 buckwheat) and a filling of chanterelles in a creamy sauce could be good for a savoury course. I make them with deep frozen chanterelles and they are perfectly OK.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Ooooo pancakes - yes!! Haven't had any for ages! I too like the buckwheat galettes - I also make a very light gram flour socca with a savoury topping & plenty of garlic in the summer - again it's quick to make ahead & assemble - we're not pizza fans so it's a sub of sorts.

I've made a 'cannelloni' with pancakes too with a spinach/ricotta/mozzarella type stuffing - must get in some practise for pancake day this year!

Postby Uschi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:36 pm

One can also use thin pancakes, rolled up and cut up finely like pasta in soups. Swabian "Flädlesupp" is an example.

Postby patpoyntz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Rats, I have a vague recollection of you posting about a gorgeous sounding layered pancake savoury ‘cake’. It was a French recipe I think. Ooops, may have got that wrong, think it may have been thin omelettes!

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Pat. I think you are referring to Crepeou which is layered omlette.

Birthday girl is not a mushroom fan unfortunately Uschi.

I'm also thinking that instead of nibbles before I could do Poppadoms with chutney and raitas as dips. I'm trying to thing wordwide!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Uschi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Don't forget potato pancakes ... with apple compote! :P

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Joanbunting, I seem to recall that you make savoury palmiers with a spread of some sort. Could you spread small pancakes, similarly rolled/cut served on cocktail stick bites with an olive. Or serve as a wrap with a samosa filling if going Indian?

I can't think of a pancake post-nibbles palate cleanser (if Chinese duck is to follow) though... Maybe Uschi's noodle soup?

Sounds like fun food :) Doggy bag ready...

Postby Renee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Potato pancakes fried in bacon fat maybe, Uschi, to have with the apple compote. YUM!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 am

Pancakes = Dosas. I don´t suggest you make them from scratch, but Indian groceries have ready-made dosa mixes.
Venezuela : we do something called "cachapas". Blitz some fresh sweetcorn, add a bit of milk, spread the corn mix on a hotplate or a large, flat saucepan, and cook gently until it´s ready. Place a large chunk of soft white cheese ( mozzarella would be fine) in the middle, and fold over.
At "elegant" weddings in the 80s, it was chic to offer crepes filled with (a) chicken and sweetcorn (b) shrimp in bechamel with a little bit of chile powder (c) creamed spinach. As an after-thought, creamed artichokes with bacon and sage might work well.
I remember Peking Duck - the first of the 3 phases was duck with plum sauce in a rice-flour crepe.

Postby Uschi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:14 am

Renee wrote:Potato pancakes fried in bacon fat maybe, Uschi, to have with the apple compote. YUM!

That's nice, too, but personally I prefer them just fried in a neutral oil. The onion and the roasting potatoes really impart a good flavour.

The Dutch do "Poffertjes", small yeast pancakes the size and shape of a large egg yolk, made in special pans.
Served with a butter flake, a light dusting of icing sugar they are a delight. They are even more delightful with Cointreau drizzled over them. Magic1 :wino

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:28 am

As Clive suggests. Dosa. Potato and pea filling.
I made mine with moog beans. And put fenugreek in the mix

And there's Vietnamese style pancakes using rice pancakes. I soak them for 30secs in hand warm water.
Filling of choice.

Not massively keen on popadom starters. But Tony always insists as he loves them.
I make an onion raita for him: red onions, lemon, mint, yoghurt, mango chutney

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Any sort of "Foreign" pancakes will have to be made by me from scratch not a singlee oriental or indian grocery anywhere between here and Paris :cry:

I'm quite a dab hand with chinese pancakes though. I make them a few times a year. I don't do Peking duck as such but I do a slow roast crispy duck which i start the day before by sticking the beast on my decanter drainer in the sink and pouring boiling water over it several times and after each drying the skin off with the hairdryer.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm

I used to do pancakes based upon different flours such as rice to go with leftover curry or maize for chilli. There's a recipe I haven't made for decades, might have come from the little Sainsbury book of Mexican cookery, for maize pancakes layered with chicken, tomatoes and spices, cheese on top like a Mexicanised lasagne. Probably the original version used home made tortillas, but pancakes worked for me.

There's a lovely gooseberry pickle we had with poppadums at Benares, the recipe is in one of AK's books and I make it regularly. It was available online until recently but the link no longer works. The recipe works perfectly well with fruit out of the freezer.

I remember a sweetcorn pancake (from a Ken Hom book iirc) I have made in the past, quite nice. There are also those Chinese spring onion pancakes whose name escapes me.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:55 pm

The Staffordshire or Derbyshire oatcake is actually a pancake. Look no further than Felicity Cloake’s Perfect recipe, though I make mine a bit smaller, using an 8 inch non stick pan and a quarter cup (60 ml) of batter

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/02/how-to-make-the-perfect-staffordshire-oatcakes

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:46 pm

and after each drying the skin off with the hairdryer.

And they´re called " Pampered Duck Pancakes"? :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Rainbow » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:11 am

karadekoolaid wrote:And they´re called " Pampered Duck Pancakes"? :gonzo :gonzo

:lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 am

I'd completely forgotten about oatcakes, Sue. I used to make them, so thanks for the reminder!

That was funny KK! :lol: :lol:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox