Register

different types of milk/ drink

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: different types of milk/ drink

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm

So does filtered mean the lactose is filtered out?

Postby dennispc » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Not a lover of milk, water with morning muesli, but have some in coffee and happily eat rice pudding etc. The other day a friend offered oat milk in coffee, can't say I noticed the difference.

Not a great cheese lover.

Postby Amyw » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:27 pm

I don’t really have a lot of milk as don’t drink tea or coffee . I quite like almond milk when making porridge and once made oat milk , which was quite creamy .

Cheese wise I’m not a massive cheese fan . I love very mature cheddar which is my main source of dairy calcium . Like mozzarella , Parmesan /pecorino and the smoked Austrian cheeses too . Hate any goats cheese , blue cheese or Brie

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Filtered milk is just that, the milk is passed through a very fine filter, that takes out the larger colonies of microorganisms. Consequently it takes longer to go off, typically the use by date can be up to three weeks from purchase. This makes it handy to keep in the fridge if you're going away for a couple of weeks.

AFAIK it doesn't affect the lactose content (nor would I expect it to) - I didn't appreciate there was a lactose free Cravendale.

I miss the 'top of the milk' we used to get with gold top. My nieces & OHs bought me a cheesemaking kit for Christmas, the suggestion in the destructions is to use CI milk for making the cheeses (at least the cow's milk ones). This might lead me into bad habits. :D

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:18 pm

I absolutely love Channel Island milk. DS lives in Jersey right next to a dairy farm with those gorgeous animals watching over the fence to his garden, The cream direct from the farm is utterly ruinous. Funnily enough they don't make very much cheese on the island. I was told it is because the milk and cream sell so well they don't need to.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:So does filtered mean the lactose is filtered out?

No
The filtration removes bacteria and even spores so it keeps much longer than standard pasteurised milk - it uses ultra fine filters of the type used to sterilise pharmaceuticals that can’t be heated

The lactose, whether for filtered or pasteurised milk, is removed using an enzyme called lactase. Not sure if that’s done before or after filtration.

Most Cravendale has the usual amount of lactose, the lactose free is in the “free-from” corner of the chiller.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks for those more informed answers for me.
I'm sure if I had to, Id have a better grasp.

Tea absolutely has to be black for me.
A lady here has early grey with milk in it. {{ insert horrified smilie badge }}

Nice story about Jersey not needing to produce cheese.

And a thoughtful gift too, Petronius.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Not much use for cacti over here, Gill - unless it´s the cactus pears called "tunas" over here.
In México you can buy fresh cactus paddles ( nopales) which the locals cook, either by frying or by poaching. Can´t say I was over impressed by them ; they taste like watery string beans.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:29 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:A lady here has early grey with milk in it. {{ insert horrified smilie badge }}

As do I.

Postby Rainbow » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:04 am

We use soya milk on muesli in the mornings because we like it - had to try quite a few brands before we found one we could both eat, though!
Skimmed milk in tea and coffee - no intolerance to dairy - and eat too much cheese, I suspect!!

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 am

In search of learning: I thought all milk now (fresh, filtered or UHT) had all cream skimmed off and the amount of fat (cream) regulated by law (1%-4% is it?) was added back to suit skimmed, semi or full fat labelling description.

Is CI cow's milk sold in the same way, or not separated first and just pasteurised "as it comes"? Ta.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am

As do I.

Oooops. Sorry Pampy, I was drinking earl grey at the time of typing.
What I meant to say was peppermint tea, with milk. Minty tea.

Rainbow.
We used soya for a long time, although it used to curdle in hot drinks. It doesn't now.
Then after trying new types, we found it too strong to go back to.

I didn't know that about the cream, Jeral.
Have you got a link, please?

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Is CI cow's milk sold in the same way, or not separated first and just pasteurised "as it comes"? Ta.

I don't know, but the fat content generally seems to be around 5% and is isn't homogenised.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 pm

I don’t think all milk is separated and reassembled, though I expect all the bulk milk sold in supermarkets is.

I’m never quite sure if I like the idea of homogenised milk or not - it simply wasn’t available where I was brought up, and I found the taste odd when I first encountered it.

We had local CI milk, and sometimes took the top off the milk using a bulb baster. I still use a bulb baster as an all purpose kitchen pipette

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:13 am

Badger's Mate wrote:[quote=jeral]Is CI cow's milk sold in the same way, or not separated first and just pasteurised "as it comes"? Ta.
Badger's Mate wrote:I don't know, but the fat content generally seems to be around 5% and is isn't homogenised.

Mysteriouserer and mysteriouserer eh?

Gillthepainter: Dairy UK is a processor for about 85% of milk produced in the UK (it says). See paragraph 3 "Milk is also standardised..." which says it removes cream and adds it back. Not all milk as some are special (see EU regs below) but the milk most of us buy every day.
https://www.dairyuk.org/our-dairy-products/

EU regs: As I mentioned, the fat content has to be within the limits set to be called "skimmed" "semi" or "whole" milk and tweaking milk up or down is allowed (known as "standardising"/standardised"). The requirement is only that the end result complies, being silent as to whatever method is used to make it so.

You'll see that exceptions are allowed re milks sold as something different or special e.g. milks naturally creamier (higher fat content than min 3.5% for whole milk) or if sold as untreated raw milk; logically by definition such exceptions would have no need of being standardised.

Re alternative milks, you'll see also that "milk" and "cream" are only allowed to describe animal lactation, unless an exception is agreed. I'm surprised to see that "ice cream" has been excepted which thus can be wholly non-dairy. I'd have thought that was one which most people moan about after reading ingredients that are anything but cream.

Postby Pampy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:28 am

Not all CI milk is homogenised - eg Tesco's own and Graham's Gold Top, whereas Sainsbugs own is, so no layer of cream.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks for the link. Very informative.

I once stayed at a Dairy Farm b&b in Bakewell.
At communal breakfast with the farming family, the young boy said he didn't want to drink yesterday's milk - his mum was cross.

I followed his advice and didn't have any of their milk.

Back to Almond milk today, as the Hemp was now 60p more in Morrisons. :lol:

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:33 pm

Not all CI milk is homogenised - eg Tesco's own and Graham's Gold Top, whereas Sainsbugs own is, so no layer of cream.

I didn't appreciate that any of it was. I need unhomogenised CI milk for my cheese, so thanks for the info.

I can see why there would be standards for milk sold as skimmed, semi skimmed and whole, but this definition leads to 'whole milk' not being whole in the same way the wholemeal flour isn't whole either.

Postby Pampy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
I didn't appreciate that any of it was. I need unhomogenised CI milk for my cheese, so thanks for the info.

If you buy Graham's, make sure it's Gold Top as they also do a homogenised one.

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Oops! I forgot the EU labelling regulations link I referred to in my previous post:
https://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food_le ... _milk.html

Badger's Mate, and with thanks to Pampy, it looks like you might have to rely on the labels on CI milk. I agree that even legal descriptive words can be questionable even though they must have spent hours and hours deciding them.

Gillthepainter, hemp is a lot dearer by comparison with other such milks in Ocado too. The reviews incidentally are split right down the middle between best and worst, no taste v. pronounced taste etc. I try to stock up when things like that are on special offer - then again, doesn't everyone? ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox