Register

different types of milk/ drink

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

different types of milk/ drink

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:09 am

Just got some Hemp milk in.
Which I really like. Almond milk is my usual choice. I'm particularly taken with it.

Soya tends to be too rich for me.

I "feel" like it's a healthier choice, but that's not based on anything. And I prefer them to dairy versions.

Coconut milk makes everything taste of coconut - and rice milk I really didn't like.

Any thoughts?

Re: different types of milk/ drink

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:55 am

Any milk :vomit .
Coconut milk :vomit :vomit
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:30 pm

I am in agreement with Joan on this subject ..

All types of industrial cow milk products :vomit

Coconut, Soy, Almond, Rice or any other type of milk from vegetation or grains :vomit
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Uschi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:57 pm

I love my cow's milk. Far less mucked about than any plant alternatives.
(I have no problems with milk and drink organic, so the cows don't have that bad a life, either)

I love buttermilk and kefir.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm

I am not a great fan of liquid cows milk, don’t like the smell, though I like other dairy products especially cheese :yum

Can’t stand the weird aftertaste of soy milk or soy yogurt

Plant milks are fine if just used to make drinks and cereals etc palatable for someone having an otherwise healthy diet but they tend not to have the protein and mineral content of dairy milks so not as nutritious, especially for children who need specially fortified milk substitutes if unable to have dairy.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Like Sue I get my dairy calcium from cheese - cow, sheep or goat. I really dislike yogurt though except in a savoury sauce or dressing . I can cope, and even enjoy, small amounts of cream.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:44 pm

A drop of cow's milk goes in my coffee and is preferred for Yorks puds, although soya (having body) works almost as well. Soya milk for custard and yoghurt too. Rice milk for cereal and milk-based smoothies. I'm not keen on almond (though many people are) nor oat milk.

Cow's milk production concerns do bother me although that I don't really like it makes it easier to avoid.

Hemp milk is not one I've come across. Knowing nothing about it, I doubt I'd seek it out as hemp doesn't strike me as being food.

I read a US uni degree study where cows were fed on different things to see how well they flourished or languished. Cotton seed grain and its oil proved to be the worst by a long way for the poor cows fed on it. Whether hemp is similar to cotton is doubtful but perhaps the fact that seemingly neither was common in history as being used for food is, er, food for thought.

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Give me good old fashioned cows milk. Worked on a dairy farm many summers. Raw and cold from the milk tank..c not sure about organic but it tasted great

Had got milk once thru a food pantry. Was very watery. maybe if it was ice cold that would help

One store was selling gallons of organic milk for triple the price of regular . I don't need to tell you the one I would buy

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Cows milk for me too. I loathe soya milk and fortunately, have no need to avoid dairy so don't drink any of the alternatives, other than coconut water occasionally, when I buy it to make Ca Kho To.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:56 pm

I drank local cow milk as a child - apart from a week in the autumn when they started the winter feed with cotton seed cake. The taste came through in the milk until we all adapted. Yuk.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:26 pm

I am very fond of Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Greek (Cretian) & French fresh goat cheese, Mozzarella di Bufala & Buratta, and Spanish & Sardinian & Romanian & Bulgarian, Portuguese & Greek aged sheep cheese and also several aged cow cheeses, such as aged Reggiano Parmigiani & aged in caves, wrapped in leaves, Blue varieties.

I am not a fan of orange red rind or orange cheeses or bloomy white rind cheeses. :vomit

Just not my cup of tea.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Wot.....?
I mean WOT the ?!?!

Slow day in Barcelona or wot..….. :lol: !!!!

Skimmed milk for me - has been for 30+ yrs - I love my tea & full fat is just too much in there but skimmed hits the spot - I use it in all cooking too & if there is a need for creamier, I just add cream or crème fraiche, full fat yoghurt :yum etc. etc. The Lushly only drinks tea ( usually Earl/Lady Grey )without milk which I used to like but cannot abide the smell now.

Almond milk is lovely & spot on in some recipes, but not for me as a drink, but if it works for you why the hell not - haven't heard/ tried hemp milk tho'

Coconut all the way in a curry...... :klingonbanana :limbobanana

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:42 am

I like cow´s milk, goat´s milk and donkey´s milk.
( The last one is a mixture of condensed milk, cow´s milk and rum) :rudolph1
I don´t think I´ve ever consciously tried almond, soy, hazelnut, or any other kind of milk.
Coconut milk? I use it all the time. Shrimp, prawn, or fish cooked in coconut milk is the best.
Milk turned into cheese? There´s not a single cheese I don´t like - although the South American white cheeses, in general terms, I find a bit bland.
Skimmed/ Low fat/ de-lactosed/ dried milk - yuk, but I´ve had to use them over the past few years thanks to our Glorious Leader.... the latest invention is something called " Bebida Lactosa" - which is whole milk, milk solids (?) and dried milk - and a whole load of water - blitzed together .
Coffee without milk? YES! I like mine espresso. Milky coffee? Yuk.
Tea without milk? Not unless it´s China tea.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:59 am

I tried Cravendale last year - the lactose free stuff. It was like single cream, gaspingly sickly.

Skinny latte is a given for me when I go to coffee shops, Lush.

Uschi, kefir is hitting the shops here, which I too like. But when I made it at home, I was troubled by the need for a lot of sugar in the culture.
But I do buy it and drink it.

Lots of healthy beneficial Omega 3, Protein etc claims on the internet for hemp milk.
Plus a method of making up your own, if I can find hemp seeds in the shops at a reasonable price.
Seems easier than when I made up coconut milk

My breakfast has been left overnight, apple, oats, hemp milk, and 5 seeds.

Not sure why milk is being pushed as toxic on some sights. OK there's the vegan and dairy farming side of things. Lacto- intolerance too.
But that doesn't make a product toxic.

Clive, do they make cactus into milk?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:24 am

I’m surprised you didn’t like the Cravendale Gill - I suspect the problem was the processin to remove the lactose that made it sickly, I usually buy Cravendale semi skimmed because I get through it very slowly and it keeps better than standard pasteurised and has virtually no odour until you heat it

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:32 am

I'll have to have a look at the semi Cravendale, Sue. When my Hemp runs out.
I just use these things for a change. I've no issue with any of it.

Then I'll not buy "milk" at all for a long time, and use full fat yoghurt for a few months.

Which I cannot get enough of - I adore it with everything. Berries, rhubarb, brekkie etcetera.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 am

I imagine most of us had milk at school, unless that was only in state schools. We used to have gold top (Channel Islands breed cows) at home, until the saturated fat message and availability of lower fat options changed that. These days we have 1% as standard. We like our cheese. Mrs B should avoid raw milk products. Pre-transplant we dabbled with low-phosphate alternatives to dairy. Soya's no good as it contains similar concentrations but the oat products were OK. Not the same though, however the cream was perfectly acceptable as a lubricant for puds. I keep meaning to dabble with nut milks for desserts. We both like (proper) milk in coffee and tea, the exceptions being Chinese tea or (in my case) 'Widdly Earl Grey'

We sometimes buy filtered milk if we're going away, so there's a bottle in the fridge for a cup of tea on our return.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 am

What's filtered milk, Badgers.

As 5 children we would squabble over who got the cream, when the milk bottle was first opened.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:57 pm

Cravendale is filtered milk

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 pm

Another Cravendale lover here. The Tesco filtered milk is also very good.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox