Register

Lard

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Lard

Postby Binky » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 pm

There was a two page article on the delights of lard in this week's FT Weekend Magazine. Apparently, head chefs in Michelin starred restaurants are serving bread, not with butter, but with creamed lard. In New York, you can get lard on focaccia bread. A kilo of Lardo di Colonnata costs between £60 and £70. Who knew lard would be the next darling of the gourmand world?

Re: Lard

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:53 am

Oh no!!! :lol: Lard doesn't have any flavour, but hopefully it is the fat that you can buy in jars. I bought a jar of Ibérico pork fat before Christmas.

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:57 am

I've just been reading about Lardo Colonnata and can see why it is so expensive. It is sold very thinly sliced.

https://www.vallebona.co.uk/lardo-di-colonnata/

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:10 am

I would say that Italian Lardo - which is what the Colonnata is - is a bit different to Anglo- American lard or French saindoux

I haven’t encountered the Colonnata but Lardo of less noble type has been around in Londondon restaurants for a while

Lardo is sliced but otherwise intact back fat that is cured so that it’s essentially like very soft ham fat, and the examples I’ve had have been quite pleasant

Whereas lard and saindoux are made by melting down (rendering) pork fat to give a white fat used in cooking. It’s not quite tasteless or odourless to me, and I don’t like the smell, though I’ll happily use it in cooking, especially pastry and confit pork belly.

I come from Hampshire where they make sweet lardy cakes using lots lard, and it somehow intensifies the odour which put me off them as a child. The Hampshire version is finger shaped, plain (no dried fruit) and topped with sticky icing. I find it repulsive.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:54 am

Sunday lunchtimes, when I was young(er), we´d go down to the local pub for a pint. There was always "bread n dripping" on plates around the bar!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:53 am

I was horrified at my dad's funeral, the pub caterers put bread n dripping out. It made my teeth hurt looking at it.
Guests couldn't eat enough of it.

It just kept coming out again and again. What do I know!

We have a beef restaurant here called OX. The bread with fat was delicious, Binky.

Postby Suffs » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Sunday lunchtimes, when I was young(er), we´d go down to the local pub for a pint. There was always "bread n dripping" on plates around the bar!

Heaven on a plate ... with just a sprinkling of salt ... cholesterol levels and BP sabotaged in one fell swoop :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Isn’t dripping beef, but lard is pork? Very different odour and texture I quite like dripping

Never come across it in a pub though, must be a regional thing. That’s a trick my (Black Country) grandpa missed in the Red Lion :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Hahaha, Suffs - then we´d go back home and fill our faces with a Sunday Roast!!
Cholesterol? Whassat?? :gonzo

Postby dennispc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Dan Lepard's tea cake recipe contains lard. Always block in our fridge.

Postby Pampy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm

When I was young, I used to love dripping on a crust of bread sprinkled with salt.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I still adore bread and dripping especially if the roast is beef - a rare thing these days.
I did a slow roast belly pork at the weekend and when I put the joint back in the hot oven to finish off the crackling I added a bit if crusty bread for me to have as cook's perks :yum
I use lard, saindoux for pastry too. I used to use Trex or white flora but when I discovered that they are mostly palm oil which i try to avoid as much as possible I went back to Gran's methods.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:06 pm

I like lard & have always used it in pastry - gives a better result. I sometimes use it to fry in too - such as sauteed potatoes, I didn't have beef dripping with bread when I was growing up, but The Lushly did - plus bread fried in Beef dripping - actually I could eat some of that now in a proper gut-buster!

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:09 am

I've always used it for pastry too.

Postby kavey » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Lardo is sliced but otherwise intact back fat that is cured so that it’s essentially like very soft ham fat, and the examples I’ve had have been quite pleasant

Yes this is commonly what I've come across in restaurants, and it's lovely.

Postby cherrytree » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Turkey dripping is one of the culinary highlights of our family Christmas.
In Lozere, in the Massif Central where our house is ,you can buy lard sale. It is sold on the deli counter in slices and is lovely placed on a roasting chicken. I don’t know how far north you can buy it but I suspect not very far.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Our butcher sells it too Cherrytree and very good it is. You can also buy pork skin which is rather odd because they always remove the crsckling for a pork joint - unless you have trianed your butcher - which takes a lot of discussion, lots of pictures and the involvement of the entire shop.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:56 pm

One of our local butchers used to sell their game birds prepared with a little sheet of what was effectively lard salé over the breast

Perfect, but this season we got bacon, nice but not the same

Maité one of the two French fat ladies Maíté and Madeleine, was from Les Landes on the Atlantic coast and started many recipes with a local product called ventreche, which seems to be a lard salé from the belly. Madeleine had to explain it to Parisians,

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Just a question: Could there be a lard revival due to the increasing move back to natural rather than highly processed oils?

As a kid, we were allowed to make fried bread with dripping (and boy did the tasty jelly bits spatter) like a production line, i.e. cook, eat whilst next one was cooking. Mum would break the cycle saying No more! Dunno if pork or beef though.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Slices of white bread, fried in lard, were obligatory for breakfast when I was a kid.
I haven´t seen any lard for ages over here. Love using it for cooking.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox