Register

A whole head of celery is a lot...

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: A whole head of celery is a lot...

Postby jeral » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 am

Yes, lots of good ideas from everyone :) Thanks all very much.

I'm genuinely surprised there are so many avid fans as I know a lot of people dismiss it, regarding it in the rabbit food category.

A Waldorf-style salad I make (yes, Joanbunting, if I have some Waldorfs in, lol) is apple, celery, peanut, sometimes with a few tinned mandarin slices, as a mound on a jacket potato. For that, I make mayo, Greek yog, lemon juice (2:2:1) S&P, thinned to suit with water.

As a standalone salad with lettuce, try topping it with tandoori/yoghurt marinated chicken breast, baked/grilled then sliced.

The cream cheese logs also work with cottage cheese (as rich cheese doesn't like me), with chive and/or a sprinkle of Nigella seeds. Black olive/anchovy tapenade is good too, to contrast richness.

Are there any tips for using a stick in Bloody Mary? I think celery salt is sometimes used to impart instant flavour, or are you supposed to chomp on the celery stick whilst drinking? Or maybe blitz a stick into the tom juice? Ta.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am

I gave up using either celery salt or pre-mix in Bloody Mary
Half V8 Juice and half tomato is the perfect mix for me, but if I don’t want to open 2 cartons I stick with the V8 which contains celery

The stick is garnish so optional IMO

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am

This https://www.bigtom.co.uk. is my preferred Bloody Mary mix ... thing is it’s so tasty on its own that it doesn’t stay in the fridge long enough for me to have found out how long it lasts unopened ... :yum

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:05 pm

V8 for us too Sue but can only get it when I can order it from Ocado. In the US they often make it with clamato juice which is gorgeous.

I've just discovered you can order it from Amazon France :klingonbanana :klingonbanana :wino
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:12 pm

As I've mentioned before, there's a lot of celery going on in Fuchsia Dunliop's Szechwan Cookery book, my favourite being Dry Fried Chicken, but there's plenty of other intriguing-sounding dishes in the book which include celery if it needs using up!

Beef Man & Wife Slices
Fire Exploded Kidney Flowers
Fish Fragrant Pork Slivers
Boiled Beef in Fiery Sauce
Stir Fried Chicken Hotch Potch

Postby patpoyntz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 pm

I make a very nice salad...one from Smitten Kitchen..called Bloody Mary tomato salad. It is chopped red onion, cherry toms, chopped celery and green olives. It has a very spicy dressing of sherry vinegar, horseradish, Worcester sauce, a little hot pepper sauce, olive oil, salt and pepper. Obviously doesn’t have the vodka in it! We like it with rare marinated flank steak sliced over it.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:39 pm

I often make a Gok Wan dish - chilli prawns with celery and cashew nuts - it's very quick and easy to make.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 am

There are various recipes about for Bloody Mary prawns

Mine is kind of based on this one, but no ketchup, just 200 ml passata, and of course Worcestershire sauce (no idea why they leave that out). I like the end result a bit more soupy that their version, there are lots of recipes out there

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bloody-mary-pepper-prawns

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox