Register

Sodastream

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Sodastream

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Remember this, boys and girls, from your childhood.
We 5 kids loved ours. Fizzy orange, or pseudo cola drinks. We could make them into lollies too.

The Sodastream has had a face lift.
Tony was badgering me for gift ideas, so ever the kitchen gadget lover, I asked for a Sodastream.
He got mine from Germany, the Source version. And I love it.
Far bigger than the original, you soda-ize water, and bottle it in the fridge. It keeps fizzy for a number of days in there.

I'm a big tap water drinker, so this is all the more interesting for me.

Lovely gadget. The Genesis version is hugely reduced at Boots: https://www.boots.com/sodastream-genesi ... r-10258401

(you have to buy gas cylinders - replacement service available at Lakeland)

Re: Sodastream

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:41 pm

I've had a Soda Stream for a couple of years now and really like it. For a start, it's far more environmentally friendly than buying carbonised soft drinks in plastic bottles which is massive plus in my eyes. You don't have to buy the Soda Stream syrups - I use normal squash and cordials, which works out much cheaper. The replacement gas cylinders can be bought from quire a number of places - Argos, The Range, eBay... It's better to exchange them though as it's cheaper and you don't have the problem of disposing of the spent cylinder.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:56 pm

I think the gas cylinders are also available in Robert Dyas too. They are a great idea. My mum and dad bought one not long after they first became available. Although the syrups are a bit yucky, they are great for making fizzy water in an environmentally friendly way as already mentioned.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't know if it's just mine, but the bubbles are petite which I prefer. Think Badoit rather than Perrier.

I added fresh orange juice to my morning drink, which tasted like Orangina - which I've always liked.
I'm not too fused about the syrups either, but I imagine I'll start looking at the squash section in more detail. Perhaps blackcurrant drinks?

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:23 pm

We had one when the childre were young but none-of us really liked the syrups. I have a Wassermester purely to make carbonated water for those who prefer it. I refuse to buy bottled water of any description.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Is that a tap, Joan?

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:39 pm

No, it's a rather elegant cylinder machine but the bottles are glass. The water comes fro the tap however!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:50 pm

Ah, got it.
I think my Sodastream has elegant glass bottles that you can purchase extra.
But that's for another day, when I may fancy another acquisition.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:01 pm

We first came across them in a restaurant which had decided not to offer bottled water. We contacted the suppliers and found they did a domestic version. We have a filter on our drinking water tap as well.

Postby Binky » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:38 pm

ooh gill, you are quite the temptress.

I have ordered my Genesis and pick it up from Boots on Saturday.

I will be starting my chemo on 10 Jan, and having had this fairly gruelling treatment in both 2008 and 2010, I know that what the mouth needs is refreshing water - Genesis sounds just the thing.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Binky.... :newhuggy all positive vibes & wishes winging their way over to you from me for a successful course of treatment again - we will all be thinking of you...……………

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 pm

Binky :newhuggy :newhuggy

Tomorrow I will be hosting three people from 3 couples all of whom anre undergoing chemo at the moment. They are all doing well and are very positive so I truly hope the New Year brings the same positive and hopeful vibes your way

Postby Pampy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Good luck with the chemo, Binky :newhuggy :newhuggy . Will be thinking of you.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:31 pm

Sorry to hear you've got a tough start to the year, Binky.
But pleased also that you are in good hands. You know what to expect too.

Hope that Sodastream works out well for you. I really like the size of the bubbles, me.

It does recommend spritzing cold water, so I have a litre flask in the fridge door.
Although cold water today wouldn't be a difficulty .... brrrrrr.

All the best to you xxx

Postby Binky » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm

We picked up the Sodastream this morning (got an email from Boots saying it was ready now not Saturday as previously notified). It is a breeze to use and as you say, the bubbles are just the right 'texture' if that is the correct description. We have an Elderflower and Pear concentrate which is not too sweet and has made a lovely refereshing drink as our first experiment. Will try it with fresh OJ tomorrow.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Brilliant.
We've come back from a 2day family visit, and the water I prepared just before I left, is still perfectly fizzed this afternoon.

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 am

Hi Folks,

First, fingers and toes crossed for you Binky *hug* Are those chewy citrus sweets called Starburst any good? They do work ("Made to make your mouth water" when called Opal Fruits) for what's described as cotton wool mouth that hospital dry air seems to cause instantly.

I spotted this Sodastream thread (thanks Gillthepainter) but have been off my game lately, so I've only just ordered one - still at £40, even though it said the offer would close on 24/12/18.

It's something I asked about last year(?) but all the ones I could find had some very discouraging reviews so I have high hopes :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:40 am

The one Tony got me from Germany cost £105 plus postage.
I don't know why he did that, although he said he couldn't get one in the UK. :stfu

Mine is the Source.
It's pretty big, I don't know where to put it really. I do have quite a stash of drinks containers from my smoothie collection. So don't need to buy any more.

I actually cannot really tell the difference between all the models, save the colour and shape.
I believe there is one that is electric.

Oh and one word of care.
My first attempt lacked fizz, so I was worried. But I was too timid, and didn't give it a good enough zapping. So don't worry if your first is a tentative flop.

Postby Binky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Mine is an absolute hit in our house!

I've had OJ and water which is just like Orangina (lovely) and a glass of carbonated water with ice and lemon is great too. No more buying Pellegrino for me.

(Thank you for your kind wishes by the way. I don't want to derail the thread with further details on my condition, but my prospects aren't that good. Stage 4 and all that entails....)

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:43 pm

Snap!
I had a lot of oj to use up, and it went into my drink too. Instant Orangina.

My usual water purchase of choice is Badoit. Not any more, Binky ..................

I'm really saddened by your news tho.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox