Register

Black Truffle Production & Climate Change

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Black Truffle Production & Climate Change

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:28 pm

One of my courses at lunch today was a cepes 9porcini) mushroom veloute topped with cream and truffle shavings. One guest , an Australian, who although she has lived here for 20 years. one could call a truffle virgin.

She was quite sniffy when told what she was to eat - as she didn't know what all the fuss is about. She then tasted it, had another spoondul and it was rather like a road to Damascus moment. all she said was "NOW i see"
RESULT :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Joan,

Thank you for sharing " The Truffle Virgin " mini story ..

Exemplary penning ..

:balls Happy New Year ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:36 am

Yes, I read all that, Member 461. I went through about half a dozen articles from various sources.
The best truffles are undoubtedly found in France and Northern Italy, although I understand Northern Spain has similar conditions.
However, truffles have successfully been grown in Australia, the USA, New Zealand, Chile and Argentina. Successfully; well, in the sense that some truffles have developed. Other truffle orchards have produced nothing at all.
What I did understand is that the truffle is a very complicated fungus. It not only has to have the right climatic conditions, including sunlight ( but not necessarily HOT sunlight), the right amount of humidity at the right time of the years, and not too much rain; it also requires the fungus to develop a symbiotic relationship with the roots of certain trees, as you mentioned.
The most complicated part of the conditions for growth, however, was the soil. It has to have the right texture, the right composition, the right aeration, the right inclination, the right pH, the right chemical composition; in short, it´s an exceedingly difficult and demanding item to grow.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Karakoolaide,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes I agree, and the neutral / akaline damp soil is quite a complicated accomplishment.

I have had truffles in several regions of Spain not too far from Barcelona, Navarra, The Basque Country, Lleida, Tarragona, Avila, and quite a few other regions as well, and of course Italy and France and when we were in Australia 2 years ago. The profiles have their nuances.

All quite exemplary !

All our best for a wonderful 2019 and pleased that you are well .. I had posted a message in CHATTERBOX, regarding the earthquake and after effects 130 km. from Caracas, however, I believe you did not see it ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:48 am

Happy New Year, Member 461!
No , didn´t see the Chatterbox post because I never go there!!
On New Year´s Eve, a friend brought some wonderful Manchego cheese.... infused with black truffles. Absolutely glorious; I couldn´t break away from the cheese board :lol: :lol:
Well despite the complexity, there are now truffles in strange parts of the world.
Mind you, 50 years ago they said the British would never be able to produce decent wine, and yet, in Biddenden, 15 miles from my home, they are now producing award-winning white and rosé wines; something I never dreamed to be possible. Climate change?
Could well be.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 am

Happy New Year Karakoolaide ..

Yes, I have seen several French and British Champagne growers in England too ! One of the founders of a Champagne Wine Estate is a friend of a friend, and Sue Stokey and I had this conversation awhile back. If I recall, his name is Hervé .. However, the surname, has slipped my memory bank, however, I have his business card at home.

This is fabulous for the British economy.

All my best wishes .. Now off to the ski slopes ! Magic1 Magic1

Postby dennispc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:54 pm

I've enjoyed all the information about black truffles - learned a lot.

Couldn't help noticing that Tyrell Crisps now come in a Black Truffle version - in Waitrose on Sunday the price was £1.90, whereas their other crisps were £2.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:37 am

There are several different species of truffles and 2 seasons. The winter black tuber melanosporumare and are the expensive one.
Tuber Aestivum appear in summer and grow more widely, aren;t as tasty and are less expensive.

So when you come across a ready made product containing truffles they more often than not they contain summer truffles.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby dennispc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:52 am

Even more interesting Joan, thank you. On the packet it lists 'black truffle powder' - could be the sweepings from the factory floor. :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Not really. Summer truffles are often dried, like mushrooms, and then ground up. To be perfectly truthful they don't exactly do that much to flavour - kind of vaguely fungal :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:38 pm

And anything that claims to be truffle flavour - like crisps - will be synthetic

Always remember that smoky bacon flavour crisps are usually vegan

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi Sue

I think the smokey bacon crisps have paprika in them don't they? When I was sauteing some vegetables at the weekend, I needed to add some paprika, and as it cooked there was definitely a strong smell of either smokey bacon or Texas barbecue Pringles coming from the pan. :lol: I'm not currently craving a tube of them, really I'm not 8 :?!

Postby Pampy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:And anything that claims to be truffle flavour - like crisps - will be synthetic

As the Walkers brussels sprouts flavoured crisps were at Christmas - no sprout had ever been near them!

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:42 am

Just glimpsed at some of the comments made by several of the members ..

Joan: Thank you for your feedback. :thumbsup

Sue: Thank you for your commentary. Exactly .. Faux for sure .. :evil:

Petronius: Black Winter Truffles & The White Alba Truffles are quite expensive and highly likely, they won´t be put into packaged "snack food" .. :crossed

Have a lovely week ahead .. :wave

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox