Register

Black Truffle Production & Climate Change

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Black Truffle Production & Climate Change

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:26 am

Read an amazingly exceptional article this morning written by: Journalist Mike Pomeranz.

A recent study demonstrates the European Truffle industry could be done by 2071 or sooner. :evil: :evil:

A paper from Soctland´s University of Stirling entitled: A Risk Assessment of Europe´s Black Truffle Sector Under Predicted Climate Change and published last month in SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT included some potentially dire findings.

The studies have predicted that, under the most likely climate change scenario, European Truffle Production is going to decline 78% between 2071 - 2100. The Faculty of Natural Sciences, pointed out, truffles have proven extremely difficult to cultivate, signifying that truffles are foraged in the wild and these funghi are more beholden to the natural weather phenomen.

Understandably, these unsettling predictions were accompanied by an immediate call for action.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Black Truffle Production & Climate Change

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:28 pm

I think the affects of climate change are going to affect the growth and harvest of many more important food groups than black truffles somehow .

I find it bizarre for any university to do a study on climate change in relation to a food and decide they’ll choose the affect on the black truffle, as surely that will stir people to action :lol:

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Completely agree Amy. I'm sure that the loss of black truffles will not be noticed by a minimum of 99.9999% of the world's population and I for one, would not be "unsettled" if they disappeared. What a waste of money to concentrate on a luxury food item rather than a staple such as rice, wheat, potatoes etc.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:18 pm

I am very concerned about climate change. Truffles are indeed affected by climate, 'but then so are most foods - As well live in a truffle producing region ithey do play a significant part in the regions ecconomy.

The 2 biggest houses in this hameau were built on the proceeds. Interestingly neither has proper foundations so both have been damaged by the effects of climate!

I think we need to be much more concerned on funding good research on the bigger effects on important crops - like grapes :lol: :lol: It has already had an effect on the local cherry production.

Must go an check on the largish piece of black gold which is currently sitting in my fridge ready for new year.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 am

Joan,

Firstly, yes, truffles certainly do provide an enormous profit on the economic regions of France and Italy and the Northern Pyrenées, Northern Cataluna & The Basque Regions of Spain

Certainly, grapes, :wino and all foods both luxurious and also the staples (honey, rices, wheat & vegetables & fruits of all types ) are effected by the climate change, as well as the livestock and wild game .. Afterall, they too eat what is grown wild and cultivated as well ..

Thank you for your feedback.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Rainbow » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 am

Pampy wrote:Completely agree Amy. I'm sure that the loss of black truffles will not be noticed by a minimum of 99.9999% of the world's population and I for one, would not be "unsettled" if they disappeared. What a waste of money to concentrate on a luxury food item rather than a staple such as rice, wheat, potatoes etc.

Just what I was thinking when I read the post. Climate change will have many serious effects for many people - black truffles will be the least of most peoples' worries as Pacific islands sink into the ocean!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:14 am

Looking at the actual paper briefly it seems that the black truffle is a good thing to study because there is very good historical data on which to base predictions of future harvests, it is very temperature sensitive, and it is as Joan suggests economically and culturally significant in Europe

Could be a good indicator of other harvests that follow

Truffles specifically Won’t worry me as I don’t much like them but it’s obviously a real concern that climate change affects any tradional harvest to the extent of even knocking it out completely. We’ve been collecting them for centuries and now they vanish?

Postby Suffs » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:55 am

Apparently the inoculated trees planted some years ago in the orchards at Sandringham have produced black truffles for the first time this year ... possibly France’s loss will be Norfolk’s gain ...

Not that I’m not concerned about global warming of course ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Maybe they should inoculate some trees at Balmoral? :D

Or, more realistically I wouldn’t be in the least surprised if Chatsworth had a go, they are probably in the sweet spot and they seize on every foodie opportunity

There are Hampshire truffles, some introduced but when they went looking they found more wild ones than expected throughout Wessex

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Good Morning Sue,

For over a decade, Doctor Paul Thomas, leading researcher & scientist of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, indicated that conservational initiatives are required to afford some protection to this quintessential iconic species ( the black truffles ), including more favorable climates to expand the truffle plantations.

Successfully they are grown in the wild in other parts of world (lesser known for truffles) outside the Mediterranean (France, Italy & Spain) and are producing truffle planatations in:

Northern Australia
New Zealand
Wales
Macedonia
Transylvania, Romania ( The Brasov Región, 176 km. north of Bucharest )
North America ( Canada & The Usa. )

Have a Healthy, Successful & Happy New Year ahead. :wino

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:58 pm

A neighbouring farmer has had some success this year from his innoculated oak trees in a plantation at the bottom of our road. I think I'll have to train the cat!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Joan,

This is fabulous news !

I have a Master Sommelier client who has quite a team of Black Labradors foraging truffs ..

Why not a kit kat team ?

Wonder, if it is possible ! Surely .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:47 pm

This very weird. I had to break off because there was a ring at the doorbell. Some old friends, who live locally came visiting - as folk do around this time at the weekend - bearing............ a truffle. From a plot such as I mentioned. It is the size which matches my thumb and first finger when made into a circle.- ie pretty large in the truffle world.

Postby dennispc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:02 pm

My first reaction was to think that if I lived in a fairly chilly part of the UK why not undertake research in more sunny climes?

However, highlighting the economic side of climate change, even if it is about the truffle industry, may make those in power take more notice.

In evolutionary terms humans are becoming more reliant on scarce resources which I'd suggest means the survival of the fittest will not include us.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Joan,

Which is weird: The black Labradors foraging truffs or the Kit Kats being trained to do so ? :D :D

Have a lovely evening ..

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Petronius,

In actuality, it would be alot more successful in: Austria, Denmark, Scotland, Wales, The Nordic Countries especially Sweden and the Eastern Central and Central Eastern European countries (Romania, Bulgaria, The Czek Republic and probably the Baltic Coastal countries & Croatia, & Northern Greece & Slovenia, which have the natural specifics, the profound forests, the altitude and the wet, cold autumns and winters. )

Also, Russia as well and the Islands of Newfoundland and Novia Scotia perhaps, Patagonia and The Alti Plano of Peru, Chile and Ecuador ..

Spain has quite a range of truffles though lesser known are the Navarran and the Ávila, Castilla León regional. Asturias is another exemplary área for these forest dwellers.

Have a Healthy, Successful and Happy New Year ahead. :wino

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:05 pm

I looked at a few websites on black truffles. The consensus is that the truffles like a fairly dry, mild climate; not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter, and preferably a damp spring. They also require a certain type of tree in order to create a symbiotic relationship with the roots.
I´d count out Denmark, Scotland and any Nordic country as being too cold.
I´d also have serious doubts about Ecuador ( a tropical climate) and the Chilean or Peruvian Altiplanos - the altitude on its own, plus the serious lack of rain for many months of the year - would not be conducive to truffle production.
Argentina, Uruguay and Chile, however, have great vineyards, and similar conditions to Southern France. There´s an option.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:20 pm

It is absolutely true that in very hot summer years the winter truffle harvest is always poorer. In Vaucluse the main market is in Carpentras and we always get the predicted price in late Novemeber. It was down this year because Spring was cooler and although summer was hot it was less hot and dry than average.

You have to be careful if you are buying them fresh because , shall we say, less scripulous, dealers poke chunks of grit and mud inside to up the weight. It all depends on the smell.

This lunch time we had between us 6 of our hen's fresh eggs which have rested in a sealed box with a piece of black gold for 2 days, lightly scrambled with lots of butter and served with sour dough toast. A glass of good white wine - what more could a person want????

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Karakoolaide,

Happy New Year ..

According to Author and Forager Susan Alexander Truffles, in Australia, the mycelia truffles form a symbotic, mycorrhizal relationship with the roots of the following trees:

The Birch, The Beech, The Hazel, The Hornbeam, The Oak, The Pine and Poplar Trees.

They prefer agrillaceous or calcareous soils, neutral, damp, or alkaline.

The countries where they do best are:

Australia, China, Canada, The Western Usa, France, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, Iran, China and Poland.

They are totally gun shy of extreme heat.

As we can see, these trees are not tropical and they are predominately hard Wood varieties ( Pine are soft wood ) ..

All our best wishes for a wonderful 2019 ahead. :balls

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox