Register

Really lovely chocolates

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Really lovely chocolates

Postby Binky » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:54 pm

We have a box of chocs from Hotel Chocolat - "The Chocolatiers Table"- and I have to say that they are divine. Intense flavours, lots to please any palate, and very nicely packaged. Highly recommended if you are looking for a seasonal indulgence.

Re: Really lovely chocolates

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm

I bought some of their stuff when I was in England in March. Loved them, especially the passion fruit ones!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:31 pm

That name rang a vague bell, I thought I remembered seeing the name in our local mall.

Shows how much attention I pay, apparently it was their very first store in the UK, and it's been there TEN YEARS.

In my defence, it's on the upper level, which is 99% women's shops, so I don't really go up there.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:30 am

I only eat black chocolate ( severe intolerance to cow milk ) and prefer not to buy any thing perishable or problematic (clothes or shoes definitely never ) online.

I enjoy the retail shopping experience face to face and buy most of my black chocolate from Albert Adria Natura or Jordi Roca when at home in Barcelona.

I have never seen the Brand mentioned however, I shall take a look next time I go to El Corte Ingles. They have an extensive international section.

Have a wonderful holiday season .. :chrissytree1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Suffs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:25 pm

We buy Hotel Chocolat gift boxes as Christmas pressies/stocking fillers. I love their big slabs of decorated choc and caramel. Wonderful ... I’m not usually a chocoholic but they have a shop here in Norwich and i have to avoid it like the plague :oops: :lol:

Postby Suffs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Member 461 I’m not sure whether other stores sell the Hotel Chocolat brand but they have a good online shop
https://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk
and their dark chocolate is truly delicious. (we call it Dark chocolate in English rather than Black :) )

Postby Alexandria » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:34 pm

The cost of shipping a box or two of chocolates is prohibitive and it makes no sense to me when I can buy chocolates any where in Barcelona at retail face to face level from Italy, France or Switzerland or Alicante, Spain (highly known for their chocolate in Spain) or London.

I did take a look at the The Hotel Chocolate Company online shop and the dark chocolate looks very nice but it truly does not justify spending 50 Euros plus the shipping.

The shipping and insurance is quite costly.

Thank you any way, Suffs. Have a nice holiday season.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Suffs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 pm

I wasn't sure about the shipping costs ... however if you're ever planning a trip to the UK it's worth keeping an eye open for them.
Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:39 pm

I am not a huge chcolate fan - except if someone buys me Hotel Chocolate chilli, passionfruit or brandy truffles. In comparison with other firms their shipping to Europe is not exessive.

They are also excellent for sending gifts from here to UK friends and family. They are so much nicer than many top makers.
Our Swiss friend sometimes brings what she says are the best from Geneva and they are the only thing that comes near.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Hotel Chocolat are amongst the best chocolates I've ever tried. I used to have a box delivered each month, with the intention of having just the one chocolate a night. However , that didn't work out well :tongueout , so I had to cancel the delivery !

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Amy I wouldn't dare do that. At the moment I can restrict myself to one a day, but if I knew they were there :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Hotel Chocolat seems to have quite a number of sites, as well their online shop. The chocolates are also sold in John Lewis and on Amazon.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:20 pm

I must be the only person who has been unimpressed by them then! Haven’t had any in ages of course, might think differently now, but there was something about them - there was another brand I preferred at the time can’t think of the name.

Bought a small box of chocs as a gift today from a local independent chocolatier, I once went to a tasting of her stuff :)

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:29 am

I used to have a box delivered each month,

Amyw - can I pay you a monthly visit?????
:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby dennispc » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:32 am

Amyw wrote: I had to cancel the delivery !

OH did the same! Shame as they're a lovely company to deal with. Last Christmas a large box was ordered and two days before we were going away it hadn't arrived. Rang and they sent another one special delivery and told us to keep both at no extra charge.

Postby Amyw » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Definitely , I occasionally get tempted but I know my self control is awful. I satisfy my cravings by occasionally getting the sweet little packs of four chocolates . Joan I agree the passion fruit ones are amazing and I normally don’t like fruity chocolates

Postby kavey » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:20 am

Sakkarin wrote:That name rang a vague bell, I thought I remembered seeing the name in our local mall.

Shows how much attention I pay, apparently it was their very first store in the UK, and it's been there TEN YEARS.

In my defence, it's on the upper level, which is 99% women's shops, so I don't really go up there.

It's first store was in the Watford shopping centre (I remember visiting just after it opened) but it was a lot longer than 10 years ago, early 2000s I recall.
The brand came out of the Chocolate Tasting Club, which I had been aware of but never purchased.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:34 am

Was there another small chain of upmarket choc shops as well? Or is my memory faulty?

I have tended to buy from Rococo more

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Sue

Would it be either Godiva or Montezuma?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:48 pm

No, I thought of Godiva but definitely was thinking of a UK firm, and they aren’t

Might be Montezuma, I do love their choc bars haven’t had so many of their actual choccies

Anne Marie, our local chocolatier does a lemon meringue pie filling. Sounds sickly - but so not, light for a choc centre and sharp and fresh tasting mmmm

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox