Register

trimmings

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: trimmings

Postby mellymou » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:44 pm

I'd be happy with a plate of sprouts, bread sauce, piggies and cranberry sauce even though I am horribley carniverous!!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:48 pm

I remember seeing a lovely sausagemeat and apple stuffing recipe in Good Food magazine several years ago. It resembled a meatloaf. If I had ever been offered that with the turkey I think I would have asked for double portions of the stuffing and please can I skip the turkey?

Postby Renee » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Ahhh … you already had the turkey wings from the turkdukken! I seem to remember that you can buy the wings online, but that's hardly worth the bother.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:47 am

Me too, Mellymou.
I'd be happy with a plate of roast potatoes!

I've got quite a lot of magazine cuttings filed away.
I'll make the effort to go through them for fancy ideas. Gordon Rambo has a nice looking smoked salmon dish in there I remember.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:34 am

I recently had a nose around my old stamping grounds and on the market there was a butcher selling various turkey bits, presumably these days there's a significant demand for crowns, some thigh meat for stir fries and the odd drumstick, less for the rest of the bird. I regret that I can't quite remember the euphemism for the trays of Parson's noses (itself a euphemism of course), It was something like 'turkey knobs'. :D

If I were still in my old circumstances I would probably confit various bits in duck fat (I too did an oriental roast duck dish the other week) and use it for winter roasts. Mrs B is not a fan, however.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:06 am

Yes it is the first one DEB. As we are having lamb this year I won't need it with our Christmas Dinner.

Unfortunately, Mr Strictly is VERY fussy when it comes to sausages because he really dislikes black pepper. However, I really must make this, even if I blitz some pork mince in the food processor so it resembles sausagemeat! That is, of course, if I can ever find some streaky bacon in our local supermarket! The Asda store we normally use only had back bacon in, and no gaps from having no streaky.

As you can see from the photo, it would be very easy to make a meal from that alone!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:16 pm

I have bought from Morrison’s a pack of stuffing wraps
More like nests really, each would just fit in a muffin tin, and consists of pork, Bramley Apple and cranberry stuffing wrapped in a rasher of streaky bacon

They look really good, and will go nicely with roast duck I think

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:23 pm

That stuffing sounds gorgeous Sue! I'll be making my own stuffing as we are having lamb this year. I will do a mushroom and herb one. I made it for our practice roast a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:31 pm

I seldom do stuffing with lamb, except boned and rolled breast which I often stuff with deliberately leftover haggis

But mushroom and herb sounds good

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi Sue

Yes, I realise that stuffing with lamb is a bit unusual, but Mr Strictly asked for some as he enjoyed it so much when I did the practice roast a couple of weeks ago!

Postby DEB » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:00 pm

When we have stuffing with lamb I make a rice one with dried apricots and raisons.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox