Register

Pie and peas in Leeds

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pie and peas in Leeds

Postby Binky » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:51 pm

This is a nice bit of fun, especially if you are from Yorkshire and know Leeds Market (still fun even if you don't!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=htWH64chhlc

Re: Pie and peas in Leeds

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:13 pm

Binky wrote:This is a nice bit of fun, especially if you are from Yorkshire and know Leeds Market (still fun even if you don't!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=htWH64chhlc

Mmm.. Pie...

It's a shame there aren't a few decent veggie ones around that aren't laden with cloying cheese and the now ubiquitous garlic.

I really need to sit down with concentrated effort and thinking cap on and devise some tasty fillings (which is how my rather nice black bean pie came about). Any suggestions meanwhile will be gratefully received. Ta.

Back on meat pies, those shallow-ish pots with lots of gravy in and a funnel-in pastry top take some beating (dredging up very old memories now). They don't seem to have a presence on the convenience food shelves. Should bring those back.

Postby smitch » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Jeral, veg chilli or curry is good in a pie. I’ve also made a veggie version of ‘meat’ and tater pie as served around here using fake beef chunks.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Quite a humorous video !

Very cute ..

The care free shopping district & architecture of the small city of Leeds, is quite picturesque ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Quite a humorous video !

Very cute ..

The care free shopping district & architecture of the small city of Leeds, is quite picturesque ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby smitch » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 pm

I wouldn’t describe Leeds as small, it is one of the largest cities in the UK.

Postby DEB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 pm

In this house we eat a "root veg pie" yeas it does have a little cheese and a eggs. The nearest I can find is
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/veg ... picnic-pie

However I use either short crust or bead dough.

Hear are a couple more

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-shepherds-pie

https://chooseveg.com/blog/here-are-5-v ... -you-have/

I love a pie

https://chooseveg.com/blog/here-are-5-v ... -you-have/

https://www.thebuddhistchef.com/recipe/ ... hroom-pie/

Hope this helps :klingonbanana

Postby Alexandria » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:08 am

Smitch,

I have never been to Leeds, however, I am referring to the car free shopping route with the lovely architecture, a historic quarter more or less, and this creates a picturesque district.

Reminded me of many cities I have travelled to which have this general picturesque car free shopping main hub ..

Postby smitch » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 am

Your exact words were ‘small city of Leeds’.

Postby jeral » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:26 am

Must confess I did have an "Eh what?" moment, Member 461, as the "small city of Leeds" has upwards of 750,000 people and with Bradford in its metropolitan sprawl, the count is some 2.3 million. I suspect that makes it a small city that sells one heck of a lot of pies.

Pedestrian malls here were built to be purely utilitarian, sometimes covered, retail areas, i.e. mainly concrete and few if any have architectural features, quite the opposite. They are failing in these days of online retailing, so might become other types of social activity hubs or by default become offices or housing instead.
----

Back on pies, it does seem that short crust double crust pies are relatively rare in world terms with preference for one-piece wraps like empanadas/pasties, samosas, wantons and phyllo pastry wraps and rolls. Odd really as pies don't tend to leak. Maybe it's gravy that's peculiar to Britain.

Postby jeral » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 am

Thanks smitch (forgot about curry pies) and DEB for veggie pie recipes which I'll check out properly tomorrow as the thinking part of my brain is nodding off plus I need to take stock of fridge/freezer lurking items...

Postby Alexandria » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:53 pm

From the photograph in the Video, Leeds does not look like a fairly large city .. as the photograph does show some architectural historic buildings (On the left side) in a car free shopping district. And I had no idea it is a large city .. As I have never been there.

And in comparison to London, Barcelona, Madrid Capital, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etcetra, 750,000 in population is not too large in my opinión.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:44 pm

The still photos that pop up are I think mainly of the other towns mentioned in the song - Rotherham & Barnsley (which aren’t huge, though substantial towns) and Sheffield which is a major city, as is Leeds with a population of around 800 000, about half that of Barcelona

The picture of the imposing stone building is Leeds City Hall, and the streets he walks through at the end are the pedestrian area round the covered market - covered markets are an institution in the North of England, selling many typical local foods ( including pies of course). Not sure how you would set about assessing the size of a place from 3 streets

I think it’s a very good take on the song Rotterdam by the Beautiful South, here’s the original
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-u5Fu_Aw9hw

Postby Alexandria » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:53 pm

Sue,

Thank you for the video and info. :thumbsup

The building, Leeds City Hall caught my attention ..

I am a big fan of historic architecture & markets too ..

I shall listen to the video tomorrow as it is late here and I must get up very early tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening and week ahead.

Postby Renee » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:53 am

I passed through Leeds only once many years ago and I had no idea of its size or population, so it is interesting to learn more about the city.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 am

Eeeeee, where's Thy whippet.

Jeral
You could do as a place here in the Cotswold does.
Pie of choice on't bottom, topped with cauliflower cheese. I've made it once, and it works.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:34 am

Takes my back to childhood when, on Dad's methodist side of the family, a fun night out was a beatle drive in the chapel hall (cards were frowned upon) followed by a pie and pea supper washed down with a nice cup of tea. :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby smitch » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Pies are a big thing in the north-west. I live on the edge of Saddleworth and charity and other organised events often offer a pie supper. Usually, the options are meat & potato or cheese & onion. Our local chippy does home made versions of both. At most of the Whit Friday brass band contests, the volunteers often offer pie for sale, generally with pickled red cabbage.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

About 40 years ago I went to visit a friend in Preston
We arrived very early and went to a pub and had meat and potato pies for lunch 0- really good, I think from the local bakery. We couldn't believe how different they were from the southern ones - either the rubbish sold at football matches or the rather better ones sold at eel, pie and mash shops in London

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 am

My favourite is further north, Sue.

Scotch pie.
Whenever we go to Scotland, we always pop into the traditional village bakery and take some home.

As you say, anywhere else outside their borders doesn't do it that same.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox