Register

made in Brazil

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: made in Brazil

Postby Suffs » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 pm

An old friend back in the 70s had grown up in Argentina as her father was the US Ambassador there ... she married a rugby playing chap from S Africa ... she said he was the only chap she’d come across who ate enough meat to enjoy her cooking :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 pm

there are lots of Argentinian restaurants in Mexico; we went to the local twice while I was there last year. I had salmon :gonzo but most of the lads ate meat, including my son, who wolfed down 800 gms of tenderloin - with garlic bread as a side. :shock: :shock:
I remember going to a meat restaurant in Zulia, specifically a town called Machiques.
My colleague sat down to a "Mixed Grill" - a tri-tip steak, two pork chops, a piece of tenderloin, two chorizos and a morcilla ( blood sausage). With boiled yuca ( cassava). Aaargh!!

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:15 am

Karakoolaide,

Yes, I realise that Yuca ( not Yucca ) is native to Brazil ..

I like it fried and we lunch at a Cuban Restaurant from time to time and always share fried Yuca ..

It is quite common in Cuban Cuisine too ..

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cassava
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Rainbow » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:16 am

Member 461 "Yes, I realise that Yuca ( not Yucca ) is native to Brazil .."

That rather contradicts your earlier post:-

Member 461 wrote:Karakoolaide,

I had never said, Yuca or Manioc or Cassava was native to Brazil ..

And my 1st sentence is that Yuca is an African Tuber ..

I also stated: The Portuguese Slave Traders brought it to Brazil from Africa ..

Have a nice day ..

Postby Rainbow » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:22 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Coxhinas are shredded chicken croquettes, Gill.
Sue is spot on : the Brazilians ( like many South American neighbours) are meat eaters. That means breakfast , lunch and dinner. A typical Brazilian restaurant ( Churrasquaria) will serve 15 or more varieties of barbecued meat - often served on an " all-you-can-eat-" basis, with the waiters prowling around the tables with different cuts. Brazil, like Argentina, is Vegetarian Hell :shock: :lol: :crying1

That is spot on KK!! We travelled around S. America for about 10 months in 1979/1980 and eating vegetarian in Argentina and Brazil was hell!! A lot of bread and bananas as I remember :lol:
Also spent a couple of weeks in Venezuela - it was a rich country back then, but don't remember the food so much!

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 am

Suffness, she clearly married well.

I had salmon

Ha ha ha. Chef probably appreciates cooking something different for a change.

I had a huge piece of meat in Cadiz at the Argentinian restaurant.
It was so good, we went twice.
Ate it all too, but I find if I don't eat the chips, they don't do it for me any more, I don't have a problem with the amount of meat.

You're well travelled Rainbow. You are British aren't you?
We have a South American trip of a lifetime in our sights, have done for years. But haven't got there yet.

I do hope this shop has yuca in some form today. It having ignited so much discussion.

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Suffness, she clearly married well. ........ I do hope this shop has yuca in some form today. It having ignited so much discussion.

Most of us thought so ... a cuddly bear of a baritone who could cook ... but she changed her mind a few years on ...

Hope you find some yuca :)

Postby Luca » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:46 pm

I hope you have success Gill.

There is a Brazilian chain in London, and probably elsewhere,called Preto. In the region of £22 for all you can eat buffet which includes both cooked traditional dishes, lots of fresh salads which are regularly changed for fresh but most importantly ....... Waiters patrolling with huge, and I mean huge, skewers of different meats. They approach you if you have your card showing green (1 card. Green one side = go i.e. Feed me, other side red) the waiter approaches you and slices off the cut of your choice and you have some tongs to hold and transfer to your plate. The various cuts of beef are delicious. Plentiful ribs, pork, sausages, chicken.

You know my boys, Gill. Hollow legs although now adults. Eldest was over for a month recently from Canada. He works in a very expensive resort in Canada where meat is extremely expensive and therefore not on his daily menu. We went to Preto and he ate, and ate..... You get the picture! I was very pleased to see that he filled up on loads of fresh salad too.

One of the waiters was clearly disappointed in my intake as he approached me regularly with different cuts of meat and seemed hurt that I couldn't always accommodate him. I certainly ate more in one night than I eat in about 2 days.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Sounds absolutely marvellous, Luca. And what a bargain price too.

Have been to the deli.
Sadly, not bread in there, but they have got packets of cheesy bread you can mix up and bake.
I got some olive oil. My goodness it packs a punch. It's peppery. I won't need so much pepper on my salad leaves. Really different.

Got some dry black beans.
Some jarred beans - I wonder if they will be like sweetcorn vs judiones.
A chilli sauce - doesn't look smoky.
Cinnamon cakes for the ladies at the studio. And caramel biscuits - oddly the caramel is like a hard bit of toffee in there. Not gooey.

I also bought one of their chicken croquetas. Not for me.
Shredded stringy (chicken pork or beef) meat isn't a texture I like.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:04 am

I think you´ll find the olive oil is actually Portuguese. I´ve tried it and concur with your view! It´s a fierce oil - but delicious if you mix it up with the right things.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:17 am

Yes, a few things in there were portuguese Clive, although the chap running it is Brazilian.
The flakey pastries at the front were too.

Nice to find a new olive oil, that's deeply olive.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox