Register

Flipping obvious news headlines

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Flipping obvious news headlines

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:28 am

Morning everyone

I saw this on the BBC News website this morning and immediately thought 'No **** Sherlock.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46179175

I realise that milkshakes are not meant to be consumed on a daily basis. However, I would never consume a freakshake anyway. Just the sight of them makes me :vomit. You just need to look at them and see they are full of sugar. I shall have a look at the comments below the article later, there are bound to be some good ones on this!

I do think that banning them might be a tad extreme, maybe education is key here. Any thoughts?

Re: Flipping obvious news headlines

Postby Suffs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 am

Maybe education for the journalists would be a start ... eh? Perhaps commencing with ethics, social responsibility and some basic understanding of statistical probability (or whatever it's called) ....

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am

They look nasty to me.

However, I do accept that some of these things become habit forming.
My BIL couldn't walk past a Burger King without wanting to go in. He reckons they "put something in them".

Both shakes and burgers do nothing for me.

Anyone remember Little Chef pancakes and ice creams? My M&FIL would take special drives out, not to visit a tourist place.
But to go to a Little Chef and have sticky pudding.

There's no news here, sticky treats are everywhere.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 am

Banning them is what nanny politicians do. That won´t do any good - but educating people about the adverse effects of loads of sugar will.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:40 am

Hi KKA

I am inclined to agree with you. Even if they are banned from being sold in shops or restaurants, it doesn't take much to make your own, even without being able to bake. All you need is a stick blender, some milk, ice cream, other ready made confectionery and/or sprinkles. A couple of whizzes/blitzes and you're good to go!

Postby Uschi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:46 am

Remember those incredibly sugary bubble teas? Bubble tea bars sprang up everywhere. The end of the world was nigh ... and now???
Trends come and go. I guess we would have loved them as kids or teenagers ... and then lost interest.

Banning them won't do much good.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:52 am

I saw that headline too and wondered why the BBC keeps writing these articles. They are getting moree and more like the Mail. .... And today's shock horror story is .........

I may like the odd steamed pudding but I am in no danger from milk shakes. It would take really dire circumstances to get me to allow thick sweet milk past my lips. I didn't like them even as a child.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Uschi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Home made milkshakes or smoothies (with milk, yoghurt and fruit) are lovely. Still calorific (even with little or no sugar), but at least healthy.

I mix bought fruit smoothies with pure buttermilk (1:4) which works a treat and isn't fattening.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Whilst this is an extreme example, it's far from unusual of course. Banning them is unlikely I guess, as it probably wouldn't work, but it seems clear that British people are eating much more sugar than we might have previously. I think a lot of people have got diets that would differ markedly from those of most of us on the Board. There are many people whose food is very largely based on ready prepared or takeaway meals and whose fluid intake is mostly sugar-based soft drinks. It used to be said that the British diet was more calorific in previous generations than a few years ago, I suspect that has changed in the recent past. As our culture becomes more Americanised, it's much more common for servings to be too large and wasteful. More people eat out. There has been 'junk food' throughout our lives (hate the term, there are junk diets perhaps) but I suspect the offerings of a 1960s Wimpy Bar would seem positively healthy by modern standards, if only through being smaller. :D

Maybe publishing the calorie count would help. I've never ordered the rack of ribs in a Wetherspoons as it's over 2000 kCal by the time you've added the coleslaw, chips and onion rings. That would not have stopped the younger me, however, who would have seen it as a challenge :roll:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:15 pm

I disagree to some extent with the general view
All these shakes are far too sweet for my taste, and obviously contain too much sugar to be good for you but even though that’s blatantly obvious, I was quite surprised by the actual total amounts of sugar and calories and I wonder if parents do realise just how ridiculous they are? One contains 39 teaspoons of sugar

So there’s probably an education / communication issue here

I’m not in favour of banning foods at all (unless literally toxic) or the current campaign to tax “processed food” - the campaigners can’t even define “processed”, so there is no possibility of them being able to show s clear link between that food and ill health or obesity.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm

The problem these days is that most mass produced cakes and biscuits etc, contain so much sugar, you can barely taste the actual flavour. Even some artisan baked goods can be rather rich. I remember once buying a brownie at a food fair which was quite large and very fudgy that I was unable to eat it in one go. I think I only had about 2 mouthfuls before I gave up and left the rest till later on.

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Joan - the BBC doesn't write all the articles on the website - they "lift" them from other news providers. They do the same on the Red Button text pages - there's often items which say things like "see picture below"... and of course, tv text doesn't have pictures! Of course, that doesn't pardon them for using the stories in the first place.
It is all down to education, plus getting food manufacturers to come clean about how they make "low fat" foods - ie take fat out, add salt and sugar to replace the flavour.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:14 pm

One of the many problems with deeming foods to be bad and banning them, is that perfectly wholesome pieces of cheese get confiscated from school children's lunch boxes. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with fat, sugar, salt, alcohol, but all are bad in excess. I would agree that 39 teaspoons of sugar seems excessive...

Postby Suffs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm

50% of the problem is that foods we used to have as occasional treats are now part of many folks' everyday diet.

The other 50% of the problem is that portion sizes have more or less doubled since the 1950/60s.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:44 pm

All you have to do is watch the queue in front of you in Tesco; most of the stuff people buy seems to be junk food these days. I occasionally succumb to horrendous indulgences like the one featured, but even though I had a sweet tooth, it's not sweet enough to take that much sugar. I'm pretty sure I'd give up after a couple of mouthfuls. Some of the desserts in the freezer aisle are inedibly sugary, I've been known to throw them away after an impulse buy.

I don't like legislation that dictates what we eat, but I don't believe that the hardcore processed food lovers will ever be weaned back on to proper food (I doubt that many of them would actually know what to do with real ingredients), so maybe it is a necessity. I'm sure that schools are part of the problem, chips and pizza should be occasional treats not everyday fodder. I guess it's probably not their fault, I've no doubt their budgets have been honed to the bone.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:50 pm

This is one of the reasons why I make my own puddings. Neither Mr Strictly or I have a massively sweet tooth as I may have mentioned several times before ;). I've lost count of the amount of times I've heaved whilst reading a recipe ingredient list, watching a foodie TV programme or seen a video clip on Facebook. The recipe below is a prime example of tooth-itchingly sweet dessert

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/whi ... ue-roulade

Postby Alexandria » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Good Topic Strictly Salsa Claire ..

Being lactose intolerant since childhood, I have never had a fast food industrial prepared cow milk shake ..

However, surely it is not my cup of tea .. And as far as desserts go, I prefer seasonal fruit and cheese ..

In Dairy, I shall stick with goat and sheep cheeses !

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby DEB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:12 pm

In the sixthies my uncle ran a restrant which was very popular, however the portion sizes were very different eg a normal stak was 4 to 6 ounces, and the dinner plates were much smaller at 7 to 9 inches in diameter, rather than the common 13 inches of today.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Occasionally, I feel the need for a sugar binge, and it usually takes the form of a chocolate bar.
Venezuelan desserts, being tropical, like, tend to be very sweet and sugary. BUT it´s not as if you´re going to stuff them down three times a day.
I haven´t had a milkshake since the seventies, I guess. The only time I tried to drink one of those exceedingly thick, gloopy things in a fast food restaurant,I had trouble sucking it through the straw!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

If you had felt a sugar urge coming on at the weekend Clive, you could have popped over to share our steamed syrup sponge and custard.

About twice a year M almost gets dwon on bended knee to beg for a steamed pud. I don't object but when I think that as a child we had at least 2 a week - both Dad and I went home for "wor dinna" it is a miracle I was always so slim and he lived into his 90s. Having said that I did walk a mile each way at lunch time and he did a similar distance and spent a lot of time digging in the allotment.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox