Register

Time for Christmas, then!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Time for Christmas, then!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:03 am

That sounds like a Greek tragedy!!

Mind you, when I first arrived in Caracas, I brought some Xmas pudding and made some mince pies.
People asked me why on earth anyone in their right mind would want to eat something as heavy and indigestible :o :o
No points out of 10 - and I never brought another.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:36 pm

As we've got a busy weekend coming up, I've made my mincemeat today, as well as a big batch of shortcrust pastry which I've separated into 3 smaller balls. Yesterday I made my trifle sponge. I also bought some chocolate mints from Aldi whilst in there for other things. I need to make some carrot chutney as well with our home-grown heritage ones - should hopefully go an interesting colour!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Similar reaction from the Spanish when we students made a sunday lunch for the landlady and her friends.
They were highly bored by the gravy in particular.
We should have made fish n chips, as foreigners completely get that national dish!

Are your heritage carrots orange or purple Strictness?

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm

I know I've mentioned our German visitor, called Herman, (20stone) we took to a Richmond restaurant for a Christmas meal.
Which he enjoyed.

The Christmas pudding and white custard he found amazing.
And asked for another portion. And another. 4 in total, although we tried to stop him.

He could barely walk back to our house when it "set" in.
And the next morning, it remained undigested, his not wanting to face breakfast. I don't think he ate anything till the following day, his guts were still trying to sort out the self inflicted mess.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:43 am

Hi Gill

Our heritage carrots are a mixture of colours. There are purple, white, yellow, pale orange and deeper orange ones.

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Gillthepainter, you mention coconut spouts in another thread. Can you give a How to... please?

That pairing isn't one that immediately would spring to my mind and I'm wondering if a citrus or e.g. sultanas/raisins or dates might figure in it as a standalone dish?

Ta

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Have started a thread, Jeral.
As it's all online forrus.

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Thank you very much. Duly pounced upon :)
---

What not to put on top of a Christmas cake advice: Last year, a friend's friend made a light Xmas cake with lots of almonds in - fine, then put a few festively decorative fresh pomegranate jewels on top and placed it in an airtight cake tin. When tin was opened, a beautiful cobweb mould layer had formed over the whole top of it. Shame as it did look pretty.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:15 am

Oh dear.
Like vermicelli on a trifle, to be put on shortly before serving.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:38 pm

I remember the trifle I decorated with Hundreds and Thousands. It was looking a bit psychedelic by the time it was served... :oops: :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:44 am

Douse it with good Armagnac, and it´ll taste wonderful 8-) 8-)

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:28 pm

With a good dousing of Armagnac and a side shot of fluorescent Chartreuse or Galliano with the pyschedelic trifle, eaters would think they were '60s tripping again 8-) Yeah, man.

Two things I've wanted to make around Christmas are chocolate cigars and truffles. Only laziness prevents me, well, and the fact that I'd eat 'em all. Anyone else make either of them?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Two things I've wanted to make around Christmas are chocolate cigars and truffles.

get some real cigars and some Godiva chocolate truffles - far less work.
Mind you, you may need a bank loan for them :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:15 pm

I make truffles - they're really easy to do.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Well, decision taken.
We are having a traditional turkey dinner then! Last time, some years ago, in a bid to keep it too basic and healthy, it was sooooo boring.
I made turkey with steamed carrots and sprouts. Really really dull. What was I thinking?!!

This year, I will be including all the trimmings. Chipolatas, cranberry sauce, parsnips, roasties with bay, and yorkshires too.
It's a glorious meal if you treat it properly ............... I'm going to throw everything at it.

Last year, when I made the family New Year meal of turducken, my BIL said it was the best meal he's tasted in his life.
It takes a while to prep (4hrs), but really is worth it.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 pm

The only truffles i know at Christmas are the fresh fungal ones.

I'm not bothering about what to eat on Christmas day because I know, Bresse chicken stuffed with truffles is the main course. The main problem I know is going to be which wine to choose
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:11 am

I'd better do a wine stock take.
We don't need much, perhaps 2 bottles.

We've got a new cheese shop opened down the road. Time for a visit.
Tony said let's get something amAZing. How about a brie, and a camembert, and a cheddar :?:

We try super cheeses in France, local restaurants, but I forget the names of "our favourites" on the platter.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm

As previously mentioned, we shall be up at my parents on the 24th and my in-laws on the 25th.

We shall spend the week with our grandsons, sons and daughter in laws and enjoy the wintery seacoast.

We have a small apartment up on the Northern Costa Brava close to our families and so we need not drive all the way back to Barcelona.

The 31st we will be at my In-laws and the 1st with my parents.

Then, we shall be off for a break (we are flying to Switzerland), on the 2nd and will return on the morning of the 6th January, the Epiphany to celebrate at with our families and grandsons.

The 24th: Is the 7 Fish Vigilia or Feast ..
The 25th: A Roast but my mom in law said she was still deciding .. ( probably a Beef Wellington )
The 31st: The French 3 Course Fondue.
The 1st: My mom said, she was going to prepare Bogavante en Arroz Caldoso ( Lobster with shellfish Rice, an Alicante dish )
The 6th: My grand parents, parents, in laws, and in law grandparents decided to do a " Buffet " style Lunch this year ! My daughter in laws shall be doing some lovely récipes from their Creperie ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:27 pm

What a wonderful Christmas and New Year you will have with your family, Member 461!

It will be quiet for Colin and myself on Christmas Day, but family will be round with presents on Christmas morning and we always get invites from them. I'll be roasting a freerange bronze turkey breast on Christmas Day. I should be able to stuff the neck end with a sausage meat, celery, shallot stuffing. I would prefer a whole turkey, because there are more juices, but Colin prefers the white meat. There will be plenty of accompaniments with it including bread sauce which he does like and can be made the previous day. I made some stock from a turkey leg and chicken wings which I will take with me.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I'd better do a wine stock take.
We don't need much, perhaps 2 bottles.

We try super cheeses in France, local restaurants, but I forget the names of "our favourites" on the platter.

If you can describe some I may be able to deduce some names for you and Tony. For a start were they cow, goat or sheep. hard or soft = blue?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox