Register

Time for Christmas, then!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Time for Christmas, then!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Speaking of " pungent oriented cheeses " (As Karakoolaide, called "stinky), we enjoy a cave stored aged blue, wrapped in leaves, Asturian Cabrales from time to time and Picón, an aged spicy blue from Picón, Asturias.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:30 pm

This morning we had a parel from a friend in Northumberland who is vicar of a very rural parish and whose wife runs the community shop in their beautiful village.

It said "Open immediately" on the wrapping. Inside was a selection of local cheeses from the border country. including a couple of my favourites like Cuddy's Cove. Cuddy is the dialect name for St Cuthbert.

I'm going to keep it for 1st January when I am hosting a lunch party
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Unlike the taster piece I had at Sainsbury, that was overpoweringly loaded with cinnamon

Sainsbugs obviously have a Cinnamon Roll Syndrome. Stick it in everything, ad nauseam!!

Postby dennispc » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:49 pm

Yes. We've got family coming tomorrow, buffet type lunch - made Chicken soup today, roasties all done as is Cole Slaw, OH is on the ham waiting for it to cool before adding glaze etc., salad tomorrow and sausage rolls. I'll do an overnight mix for rolls.

Tuesday, for the first time, we'll be just the two of us - our choice and it seems to have worked for everyone else too. Stuffed and rolled turkey leg in the freezer, bought :shock: extra stuffing, pigs in blankets and mini Christmas pudds. Beaume de Venise awaits.

The plan was to do enough roasties for Tuesday - we've only got two gannets coming but don't think it enough.

Shopping's all done, but as we won't be doing much Christmas Eve we're planning to go to Waitrose just before they close. Last year they were selling off whole salmon for £8.

Happy Christmas to you all.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:21 pm

That sounds lovely Petronius, I hope you enjoy yourselves.

I have this baking in the oven, as I've found a similar pud that is baked rather than steamed. With any luck the last two pieces will be our alternative to the traditional one on Christmas Day. We find the latter too stodgy for our palates.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/304 ... la-pudding

I've never tried it before, and I am also using medium sherry instead of marsala as it is fairly similar. I've also used marmalade instead of golden syrup and orange zest

Tomorrow I will be marzipanning the cake, making some mince pies and a Linzertorte version of Jammie Dodger biscuits.

On Monday I'll be cooking the ham ( which is already in soak) and making the base for the trifle as well as a few other bits and bobs.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 pm

We've now had the first 2 portions of the pudding, and it is lovely. It tastes very festive with a gorgeous citrussy zing, and no stodge.

Postby Rainbow » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:07 am

Looking at the recipe, it says to steam or cook in the MW.
Did you cook it in your regular oven and if so I was wondering what temperature was it at and for how long?
Thanks, Rainbow.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi Rainbow

I cooked mine in the oven at Gas Mark 3 for 1 hour 20 minutes - although 1 hour 45 mins would be better because I had to finish it off in the microwave. I used another GF recipe for guidance for the timings. It was so good, judging by the 'ohh' and 'mmm' noises emitted by both of us after the first mouthful! I also but back on the sugar a little - using 150g instead of 175g. This was purely for palate reasons rather than trying to be healthy!

Postby dennispc » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Before the family came yesterday, no room to put everything on the table.

before.jpg

Plus 36 OH's mince pies, a tray of roasties and various other bits and pieces.

And after

After.jpg

The tray of roasties disappeared, so I've had to do some more for tomorrow and B&S on Wednesday.

I wish you all a Happy Christmas and hope tomorrow is as good for you as yesterday was for us. :rudolph1 :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Happy Chrissy everybodypeeps!

Follow up to my comment in November regarding last year's mincemeat - I made some fresh on Sunday as per Joan's advice, and made a one-off tester pie yesterday. I have to say it was the best mincemeat I've ever had.

The recipe is basically Delia's 1974 recipe, but I cut down on the candied peel and upped the spice, and most importantly dispensed with the 3 hours in the oven...

The pastry was basically Delia's rough puff too, but with a bit of sugar, smallest batch I've ever made, 50g flour + 30g butter + 1 tsp caster sugar + 2 tsp water, just enough for one 4 inch pie with 125g of mincemeat filling.

Postby mark111757 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Happy Christmas one and all

Postby Pampy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:24 pm

And to you Mark - hope it's a good one.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Merry Christmas everyone! :chrissytree1

We have just finished our main course of a half leg of lamb from the farm where I work. I served it with mushroom and herb stuffing, roasted parsnips, carrots and potatoes, with a green veg medley of sprouts, leeks and runner beans. The gravy was part beef Oxo, part ham stock, and part red grape juice. Luckily everything went according to plan once i got my timings right (maths isn't my strong point!) and everything was spot on. We just have the remainder of the orange and sherry sponge pudding left with some cream.

I hope everyone's Big Feasts are going well and will be enjoyed by all who is eating them.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Mary Christmas to y´all! Hope you´re all having a wonderful day. We have just stirred, having arrived home at 4am this morning. Typical Xmas celebrations are on the 24th here. Plenty of wine and whisky, lots of good company.
Cheers!!

Postby dennispc » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Merry Christmas to you all.

After touring our local families we returned laden with goodies. :birthday-dancer

Just sat down after main course - turkey plus - and both did the washing up. Now pausing - probably a couple of hours! - before pudding. Hope the rest of your day goes well.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Merry Christmas
:chrissytree1

Duck eaten, most of kitchen degreased

Might have pud later

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:33 pm

We had a lovely time at lunch time yesterday partly because of the fabulous setting and the gorgeous bright sunshine and blue sky. There were quite a lot of locals eating there and the atmosphere was good, spoilt only by a large table of Chinese tourists who were rather loud and very restle and kept moving around. getting on the waiters' way to take endless photos on their phones and poking peoples eyes out with their selfie sticks. They were asked not to do this but the request was ignored. They had also arrived 45 minutes late whci of course put the kitchen out a lot.

Jean-Luc said after thy had left - for the next tourist spot after demanding swift service - he would never accept such a booking again.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:39 am

Duck eaten, most of kitchen degreased

I'll have the same cleaning opportunities after doing the goose next week. Everything has to be washed up or washed down twice and we get through a fair bit of washing soda. :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 pm

I kept the fat down by using 2 baking trays. Periodically switching the bird over, and clearing out the stock and fat.
But that was over 4hrs30mins of cooking, ample time to deal with the cooling process.

Well, salmon and scrambled egg was a super start to the day, sparkling wine and orange to go with. Tony likes tartare sauce too.
The eggs take 30mins over a bain marie set up. Whisking constantly.
Plus the main event turkey with the trimmings, the dark gravy was punchy - a lot of meat juices went into it.

I took such care to sew table mats & runners but whilst my back was turned, Tony arranged them oddly. It's his Christmas too, so I let it go :stfu

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Joan
Other people at restaurants. We went to a lovely pizza restaurant, rustic, popular. Just for a change, and I know they make sourdough pizzas.
Queuing out the door for the takeaway service!

Unfortunately, the table behind us had a lady who wasn't eating, but was smashed. She just wanted more wine, and was encouraging others to eat quickly, so she could move on to the All Bar One pub.
I saw some chums having a beer at the bar waiting for their takeaway, and had a quick chat - as did the drunken perfect stranger, she came over with me. She was all over the place, no getting away from her.

Anyway
Artisan beer, aubergine pizza & jalapeno for moi. Pepperoni with extra pepperoni for Tony. Noice ..... :

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox