Register

Time for Christmas, then!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Time for Christmas, then!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:02 pm

I did Nigella’s steam roasting for the duck - will adopt as my standard method - I have simplified slightly
Prick skin thoroughly to let fat out
Roast for an hour at 160C fan on a rack in a roasting tray with.a cm of boiling water in the base for about an hour until just done - put duck to one side, uncovered, and tip water and fat into a jug so you can recover the fat later
At this temperature the fat doesn’t splutter or burn, just flows into the water
Shortly before serving put rack back on roasting pan without water, prick again and finish in hot oven with roasties etc
Lovely crisp brown skin and moist meat.

Re: Time for Christmas, then!

Postby dennispc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Thought I'd posted this yesterday but obviously not. :roll: Had two grandsons plus girlfriends for lunch on Saturday, jacket spuds, tuna mayo, coleslaw, baked beans and grated cheese. A lovely time, the good thing about adult grandchildren with girl friends they give you pressies as well as from Mum and Dad!

Baked spuds were done the slow way - 130C for about three hours on bed of salt - success, but only after oven increased to 180 and finally 200.

That's the finish of Christmas for us, we enjoyed it. Nothing planned for tomorrow but 8year old granddaughter, plus Mum and Dad will be over in the week sometime.

Enjoy next year! :thumbsup

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox