Register

French Mom in Law´s Grilled Turbot & Tomato

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

French Mom in Law´s Grilled Turbot & Tomato

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 pm

This lovely dish is my Mom in law´s and I am about to prepare this at our apartment today .. :yum

Serves 4 ..

3 large red ripe tomatoes ( Fresh or San Marzano )
2 Bunches of Green Asparagus ( they are rubber banded on stalks here - approx 8 or 10 stalks )
1 1/2 cups of fish broth made from home made stock
1 cup of Dry white wine of choice
6 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
3 or 4 minced garlic cloves
1 large bay leaf
2 tablesps. of chopped fresh chive or green scallion
Some freshly minced parsley to taste
1 tblsp of fresh lemon zest
1 or 2 fresh wild turbot fish ( depending on size ) - I have a bit over 1 kilo

1) Blanch the tomatoes in a pot of boiling salted water for 20 seconds - 30 seconds.
2) Drain and peel tomatoes. Slice the tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Chop tomatoes and reserve ..
3) Cook the asparagus in large pot of boiling water until crisp tender - 4 minutes approx. or grill in oven if you wish to just crisp tender ..
4) Drain the asparagus if boiling ..
5) Heat some French or Italian Evoo in a heavy large skillet and add the tomatoes, broth, thyme, garlic and bay leaf, chives, parsley, capers ( a few) and the zestof lemon and bring to a simmer until liquid thickens, approx 15 - 20 minutes.
6) Pre heat oven and grill fish and add salt of choice & freshly ground black pepper, and grill each fish for approx 5 to 6 minutes per side depending on size and how you enjoy your fish.
7) Using a slotted spoon, divide the tomato and asparagus mixture on plates.

Serve with a salad of choice and bread of choice and a bottle of White wine or French Blush colored wine from Provençe.

Enjoy .. Have a nice day .. :wino :wino

8) Place fish over the tomato and asparagus. Spoon pan juices over the fish and a squeeze of fresh lemon drizzle if you wish ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: French Mom in Law´s Grilled Turbot & Tomato

Postby Amyw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Is asparagus still in season in Spain ? It’s far out of season in the UK and I would have thought there wouldn’t be much difference between the two countries

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:30 am

Green Asparagus is grown in the 7 Canary Islands and imported to the mainland central markets, including Le Mercat de La Boqueria.

Other growers are: Menorca, Ibiza, and Navarra has a micro climate, and it is also imported from Peru ..

Green and White Asparagus: Navarra, Southern La Rioja and Gerona ( micro climates in strategic zones of the autonomous regions mentioned - 15 degrees centig. )
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:37 am

We can buy Peruvian and Mexican asparagus here outside of the local season but we only seem to get Spanish asparagus before and during the English asparagus season

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:03 am

Sue,

The Spanish growers here in Gerona are boutique growers of only Bio / Ecological Green Asparagus.

White Asparagus, in Navarra & La Rioja may be un-cultivated or cultivated.

Most of the Green asparagus for export is probably from the Basque Región of Navarra as it has a Micro Climate ( approx 15 Degrees centig or higher ) ..

Most Peruvian White is jarred and used with ali oli in commercial restaurants serving 10 Euro Lunches.

Le Mercat de La Boqueria in Barcelona and Makro ( Food Wholesaler ) have the best Bio / Eco Green, Green with Magenta ( radicchio color) and white asparagus

It is quite a popular vegetable here ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:43 am

I love turbot but see it rarely here, apart from last Sunday of course when it was such a treat. I wouldn't normally grill turbot either. Sundays was gently oven baked . If I had some to cook I suspect I would poach it in a court bouillon with white wine or better still champagne and then turn the poaching liquor into a sauce.

Asparagus is never ever seen for sale or on a restaurant menu after the summer. Exactly the same with strawberries.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 pm

We try to eat seasonally when we can ... we've not bought imported asparagus in years and years ... here in Norfolk we grow some of the very best asparagus and the start of the season is awaited eagerly and when it's available we eat it several times a week :yum

https://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/Thetford ... ue=0155881

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Joan,

Thank you for your feedback .. :thumbsup

Next time I prepare turbot ( rodaballo ), I shall poach it in Champagne .. :yum :yum :yum

On my list !!

All my best wishes for a lovely weekend .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Thank you for your feedback, Snuffs.

We do not eat imported asparagus either ..

Spanish asparagus ( even if off the mainland as we have our islands. )

Have a nice weekend .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Thank you for your feedback, Snuffs.

We do not eat imported asparagus either ..

Spanish asparagus ( even if off the mainland as we have our islands. )

Have a nice weekend .. :wave

Postby Amyw » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Member 461 wrote:Green Asparagus is grown in the 7 Canary Islands and imported to the mainland central markets, including Le Mercat de La Boqueria.

Other growers are: Menorca, Ibiza, and Navarra has a micro climate, and it is also imported from Peru ..

Green and White Asparagus: Navarra, Southern La Rioja and Gerona ( micro climates in strategic zones of the autonomous regions mentioned - 15 degrees centig. )

Thank you for the precise description. Asparagus is regarded in our country as a seasonal treat to herald the start of better weather, rather than a year long food

Postby Alexandria » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:41 pm

A.W.

Spain has a whole gamut of climates and micro climates from the tropical and sub tropical 7 Canary Islands to the Pyrenées and The Balearic 3 Islands, so we have a wide range of vegetables and fruits all year long.

Have a nice day ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox