Register

Wild duck

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Wild duck

Postby dennispc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Visited Darts Farm Devon today,

Bought a wild duck, 645gms, we like crispy skin. Any ideas on timings and how to cook? It’s not that plump as you can see from the weight - don’t want to overcook it.

If you’re driving through Devon and need a break, it’s not far from Exeter Services J30 on M5.

Re: Wild duck

Postby Suffs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:57 pm

The skin on a wild duck doesn't usually go very crispy because they don't carry the amount of fat under the skin that farmed birds do. Also they don't need very long in the oven (30 mins or so) so it's hard to get it crispy without having the oven so hot you ruin the duck.

This is pretty much as I do https://www.wildmeat.co.uk/blogs/news/perfect-wild-duck ... but I'd quibble that a mallard will feed three people ... not in this household anyway :oops: We love wild mallard :yum

I've not tried the frying first method ... but the Wild Meat Co are pretty reliable with their information.

Postby dennispc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks Suffs, so we won't be having crispy duck then. :D Might try a slow cooked version I've found.

Postby Suffs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am

There is quite a difference between wild and farmed duck ... think the difference between a pheasant and a chicken ... or pork, even outdoor reared, and wild boar .... but it is absolutely delicious ... a real gourmet treat ... must say I prefer mine served pink but that's up to you :thumbsup

Postby dennispc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 pm

:thumbsup Thanks again Suffs. I've got the message, lots on line saying the same thing, though didn't realise at the time of buying. :roll:

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:34 pm

If you want a crispy skin, could you use a blow-torch (cook's or otherwise)? I have a small plumber's blow-torch as I found the cook's ones weren't powerful enough - but you need to use it away from any smoke detectors!

Postby Suffs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:01 pm

I think the thing is you need fat as well as heat to make the skin crispy .... without the fat there's a risk it'll just be leathery :(

Postby Amyw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm

I live about 20 minutes away from Darts Farm . I call it one of my happy places, amazing goodies

Postby Uschi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:18 am

Around this time we have "St Martin's geese" (Sunday is St Martin's day and geese are slaughtered around this time of year) and I once had some with a baked marzipan apple, a beautiful gravy, red cabbage and potato dumplings. Yum!
If you want to try out the marzipan apples with yours, mix some marzipan with Amaretto until you get a smooth paste (but leave a little marzipan to plug the apples), core some good baking apples, plug the bottom with marzipan (yes, it sounds awful, but I am tired and can't find better expressions) fill the rest of the core with the amaretto marzipan paste, top with a butter flake and bake unti the apples are soft.
Absolutely delicious with game. Magic1 :wino

Postby dennispc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Somewhere in the great beyond is a post that hasn't arrived and, as you can imagine, I didn't do a draft! :roll: To summarise, wild duck is sitting in the slow cooker, one hour to go, with a mix of orange juice, ginger, soy sauce and a couple of keffir lime leaves. The online recipe says prick a small orange and place in cavity. Greengrocer's small orange was too big to fit so cut in half.

Amyw, depending on traffic it can be up to an our for us – we make it a special trip to include lunch, despite always having to queue. The Greendale Farm shop further towards Sidmouth is another place we like.

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Enjoy :mrgreen:

We have sausage and bean casserole with jacket potatoes ........... nice enough, but not mallard ........... :(

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:46 pm

If there's any left, one of my favourites when I ate meat was strips (or pulled) duck in a spring roll with spring onion to dip in hoisin sauce. I can't remember what sort of flour or rice wrapper, only that you'd roll your own at the dining table.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:57 pm

My French inlaws gave this récipe to us, and we prepare a beautiful young wild duckling called: Pato con Fruta .. Duckling with Fruits.

1 young duckling ( empty cavity clean )
1 fresh lemon
3 Bosc Red Pears
1 bunch of red grapes
1 bunch of white grapes
1 dozen cherries
French Bio Evoo
40 grams of French butter or Alpine butter
Semi Sweet White Wine of choice ( Moscatel )
Salt and freshly ground peppercorns to taste, red, green, white and black

If you are interested in the recipe, I shall make a separate thread / post for it ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Amyw » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Petronius wrote:Somewhere in the great beyond is a post that hasn't arrived and, as you can imagine, I didn't do a draft! :roll: To summarise, wild duck is sitting in the slow cooker, one hour to go, with a mix of orange juice, ginger, soy sauce and a couple of keffir lime leaves. The online recipe says prick a small orange and place in cavity. Greengrocer's small orange was too big to fit so cut in half.

Amyw, depending on traffic it can be up to an our for us – we make it a special trip to include lunch, despite always having to queue. The Greendale Farm shop further towards Sidmouth is another place we like.

I work in an adult daycare centre for adults with disabilities as part of my job , which was in Clyst st Mary , five minutes from Greendake . Although the guys have done several trips there , it’s never fallen on my days . Shame because I hear it’s lovely

Postby dennispc » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:40 am

My thanks to you all for the advice, the duck was delicious, meat just fell off. Probably just enough left over for one sandwich – deciding who's having it for lunch will be interesting!

Reduced liquid whilst veg was cooking – mash and whatever was in the fridge – green beans, summer cabbage shredded and carrots. As we ate, the jus/gravy got absorbed into everything. :D

Ushci, I stuffed baked apple with dried fruit but never thought of marzipan so we'll try that next time.

Member 461, thank you for the Duckling with Fruits recipe, I'm sure it's absolutely lovely but for us, two bunches of grapes, a dozen cherries and semi sweet wine would stretch our budget.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Petronius :D

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Petronius,

Glad to hear that your duckling fell off bone and was undoubtedly amazingly wonderful .. :thumbsup

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Uschi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Petronius, your meal sounds lovely! My kaffir lime on the windowsill eyed me suspiciously when I read it out to her. ;) ;)

The usual German way is to stuff apples with raisins (preferrably rum raisins) chopped almonds or nuts, butterflakes and a cinnamon sugar mix.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox