Register

I've made it 100 times

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I've made it 100 times

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Wic, Tony had a drop-sy day of it yesterday.
Dropped my ground pepper pot. Got the vacuum out, and broke the wheel - I'm waiting for a new one to be delivered today - it took me 15mins to get the caster out of the casement with pliers.

Then smashed his favourite antique blue and white china coffee cup n saucer.

He's just had his first ever flu jab, and I believe his arm wasn't moving as he expected it to.

Clive
I cannot imagine your not being in a cooking mood. You seem to relish every task in the kitchen.

I'm not a huge tweaker, Jeral, unlike you.
Although I'm a confident adaptor. Mainly because Tony has an expectation of a dish. And if I change it, he's not always happy about it.
Mind you, I made a prawn pasta in the week.
No tinned tomatoes - which are a must for the dish we regularly have. So it was just lemon, parsley, and I had one beef tomato going soft in the fridge. Chopped.

He approved rather than moaned.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:34 pm

M never ever moans about food. He says if you lived in a boys boarding school for 10 years in the late 40s and 50s absolutely anything is better.

However he is very good about praising things he has enjoyed. It was only very recently that he admitted to me that he dislikes salmon in most forms and I have served it to him all the time we have known each other.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Clive
I cannot imagine your not being in a cooking mood. You seem to relish every task in the kitchen.

Hahaha, Gill! It does happen, however. This week, I had an event on Sunday, another on Thursday ( in fact, TWO on Thursday, but one got cancelled at the last minute) and I´ve got a late lunch for 15 today. Tomorrow, I was looking forward to slumming it with an afternoon in front of the telly, BUT....
I woke up this morning and
The fridge defrosted. Must be the thermostat. :crying1 :crying1
I´ve got 3 kgs rhubarb, 4 kgs of green mango and 2 kgs of wild raspberries in there, so tomorrow looks like a chutney & jam day. Maybe I´ll get a break on Monday - the Monday after Christmas :gonzo :gonzo

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:27 pm

karadekoolaid, Mmm pie. 9 kgs ought to be enough for the odd pie or two. It's at times like this you wish you'd bought that chopping, sieving etc gadget or have a hoard of kids/grandkids to stand up and be counted. Could you plant a few of the raspberries to good effect?

You mention that things go wrong due to other things. One thing I'd never have thought of until reading about it is that flour reacts differently according to ambient temp. Who'da thunk it? I haven't a clue how knowing that is of practical benefit, i.e.what to adjust and by how much. Still, the upside is that it can go on the "blame" list ;)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:06 am

Ooops.
Chutneys and jams take a long time too. I bet you could well do without it.
Still, it's a job done in anticipation of the Christmas season.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Bread
For years I have made 2 or 3 loaves each week - J takes a sandwich most days.
I have perfected the method over the years, make the dough in the bread maker, tip it into a 2lb loaf tin, ignore it for as long as necessary then bake it for 33 mins at 175deg fan.

I obviously haven't quite perfected it as I do produce the occasional brick.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 am

I never bake if I'm not in the mood. Especially with scones. If I am feeling really grumpy when I make then they end up really stodgy. If I am in a fairly good mood then I can improve things by humming a cheery tune in my head whilst making the dough. They seem to turn out alright then

Postby dennispc » Mon May 13, 2019 10:25 am

WW, I share your pain. Have done a standard overnight dough mix for years - white and wholemeal. No bread machine, apart from from mixer.

Both baked at 230C, rolls for 20minutes, loaf for 40.

Saturday morning - wholemeal in a tin, fine. White rolls, just let's say, a little solid!

Postby cherrytree » Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 pm

I had a hollandaise catastrophe on Saturday.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 14, 2019 2:37 am

Don´t we all, cherry tree!
My wife bungs the whole lot in the blender and adds more melted butter.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox