Register

Balsamic vinegar

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Balsamic vinegar

Postby Binky » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:27 pm

A few years ago we were in Modena and bought some gorgeous balsamic vinegar - lovely thick texture and tart sweetness. It was about 20 euro a bottle, and I have never found the equal of this vinegar at any store in the UK.

Does anyone know of a good quality brand, as I have been disappointed with the supposed balsamic vinegars sold in the UK.

Re: Balsamic vinegar

Postby Suffs » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:33 pm

I shall keep an eye on this thread as I find selecting a balsamic pretty hit and miss unless spending a small fortune (fine for dipping etc but not for every use). I do recall getting a very good one in Lidl once upon a time, but I've not seen it there since and now can't remember the name ...

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Binky,

There are hundreds of brands of Bio, Natural and False Balsamic Modena Vinagre young oak aged through several years of oak ageing.

Depending on what you wish to spend per bottle and usuage, here are a few which are exported to London and the surrounding regions:

1) Carlucci.
2) Solesta.
3) Finest.
4) I.G.P.
5) Leonarde.
6) Concorsio de Tutela.
7) Ponti.
8) Due Vittorie (more expensive, longer ageing & better quality )

Many supermarkets have their own Brands of Balsamic Vinegar however, unless they are made in Modena and bottled in Modena, be cautious. They could have false ingredients such as Soy Bean and Corn ( transgentic or Gmo ) ..

This is a product worthy of its authentic appellation and prone toward falsifiying ..

Look for the official Modena Seal and Stamp from the Italian Ministry of Agriculture ..

Have a nice day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 pm

I know one not to buy.
Sainsbury own brand. I may have been unlucky, but it was lip puckering dark water.

In the meantime, you could buy balsamic syrup. I find it very pleasing.
Until you source your beloved balsamic.
Not the glaze, but the syrup.

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:23 pm

I love Acetum balsamic. Waitrose, Ocado and Booth's stock it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm

IGP is not a brand but stands for Indicazione Geografica Protetta, "simply means that a product can be traced back to their geographical origin during at least one phase in the production process. Meaning it can be linked to a place or region where it is produced, processed or prepared."

There's also DOP Denominazione Origine Protetta - another certification

You get
Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP
and also
Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena DOP

Looking at the very long Wiki entry, it seems that DOP is probably what you want - does it say Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena DOP on you bottle Binky?

Here's the Wiki entry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 pm

My error typing ..

Sue & Binky,

It should not have been in the list of brands ..

I meant to write this after but I was rushing and haste makes waste .. I typed incorrectly .. I read Italian fairly well, so I know what the acroynm signifies

Yes, it is an official governmental ( Ministry of Agriculture ) organisation protecting the lands in which the Modena Balsamic Vinegar is produced and the products used to make it ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:35 am

Pampy wrote:I love Acetum balsamic. Waitrose, Ocado and Booth's stock it.

Thanks for the recommendation Pampy. I am frequently in Booths in Chorley and Waitrose occasionally. Which branch of Booths do you go to?

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:36 am

Usually the one in Fulwood but also occasionally Penwortham and Windermere (when I'm going on a spending spree to Lakeland - it's right next door).

Postby Renee » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:48 am

I go to the Penwortham Booths as well, Pampy. I like the store and parking is easy. There have been horrendous roadworks in that area for the past year or so, one of which is an enormous roundabout and for that reason, I don't go very often! I always call in at the lovely Lytham store if I'm over that way.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Real, genuine, authentic Aceto Balsamico should contain cooked grape must and red wine vinegar - nothing else. It´s then aged in barrels and bottled. Since the rediscovery of Balsamic some 20 years or so ago, all sorts of wierd and wonderful concoctions have hit the market.
I suppose a basic premise for really good Balsamic is whether it has " caramel" in the ingredients. Just like soy sauce and Lea & Perrins.

Postby Renee » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:11 am

Thanks very much for that information KK. :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:26 pm

I got out my balsamic vinegar to use at lunch time and it is from Lidl with all the correct attributions and labels. It is really very good.
I used it to dress some freh beetroot slices to make a salad with grilled goat cheese.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Joanbunting wrote:I got out my balsamic vinegar to use at lunch time and it is from Lidl with all the correct attributions and labels. It is really very good.

As I said earlier, I once had a ve ry good one from Lidl but can't remember the brand ... would you be kind enough to let me know then next time I go to Lidl I can get some more? :newhuggy

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Mine is their own Italiano range.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Well ... who'da thunk it? Why didn't I remember that :roll: Thank you Joan :wave

Postby cherrytree » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks fir the Acetum recommendation. I'm going into Keswick on Friday so I'll nip in and buy some. Actually I'm still worried about Booths, I presume it's still up for sale. I don't want the Keswick one to become a Tesco!

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Lidl doesn't tend to have it all the time - usally it has to be grabbed when they have an Italian week. They also have risotto rice in 2 kg bags which is great.

Postby Renee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:00 am

Cherrytree, Booths was being geared up for a potential sale in December, 2017, but here is the latest news:

"Booths has narrowed its losses as the retailer’s bosses ramp up plans to “transform the business”.

So … fingers crossed.

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:46 pm

I've recently read that Booth's has been taken off the market because there weren't any offers high enough for them.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox