Register

8 food gadgets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 8 food gadgets

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:26 pm

Apparently the crispholder microwave gadget I saw on Youtube and mentioned has been withdrawn by Lakeland due to a reviewer saying that the plastic caught fire! It's also not available at Amazon saying they don't know if it'll be in stock again, also with fire hazard reviews. Dodged a bullet?

Postby Binky » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:35 pm

We have one of those crisp makers to use in the microwave. We slice up beetroot and carrot. Having said that, I haven't seen it in about 5 years, so probably lurking in a cupboard and maybe not such a great buy anyway?

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:36 am

Other comments about the holder were that slices stick and that it was better to use every other slot so equals a minimal number of crisps at a time. So, sound idea, bad gadget. Unless there's a better one around... or just spread slices out on greaseproof maybe and save on storage space.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:49 am

And you store these things where?

That handy top of the cupboards space.
My kitchen looks very tidy.

Except when I go outside and look back through the window, when at all the gubbins a'top the cupboard are clearly visible.

Shame about the crisp gadget.
Sounds quite good to me, but not one that I would really want to buy anyway.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Just seen this rolling pin for biscuit patterns:

Online.

Postby Uschi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:30 pm

I've used a fondant pattern pin roller. It looks nice, but you have to look closely. These wooden ones I've seen, too, but not with such a pretty pattern.

The one danger I see is that the dough may stick, so a good layer of flour is needed. And it will pay to swipe a palette knife under the rolled out dough or to roll it out on baking paper. You don't want to prettily patterned dough to stick to the work surface.

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:11 pm

I love the idea of those pins.

Recently I bought a new set of three offset palette knives (very good they are) for just such pastry things and for flipping things over which is so much easier with the offset.

The ones I bought are designed for spreading cake icing. The largest one's flat blade part is all of 8" and 14" incl handle. I could probably lay brick cement with that one... :lol:

I imagine the patterned rollers work best with thin dry biscuits like arrowroot to preserve the pattern, although with Christmas ahead, I imagine an imprint should show on exposed marzipan (if not brilliant on fondant), or possibly even sliced processed cheese like gruyere, well unless it's due to be melted ;)

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Gruyere isn't processed.

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Pampy wrote:Gruyere isn't processed.

True, before it has been to make slices, that I referred to. Even the Swiss sell their own: https://www.coopathome.ch/en/supermarke ... /p/3080311
The question of course is whether the slices sort would retain an imprint. I'm all for finding multiple uses for any gadget :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:36 am

The slices still aren’t processed cheese, unless it says so on the labelthey are just sliced like ham or bacon. Processed cheese is made by grinding up cheese and mixing with veg oil and emulsifiers before shaping

Kraft singles ingredient list consists of cheddar cheese, whey, water, protein concentrate, milk, sodium citrate, calcium phosphate, milkfat, gelatin, salt, sodium phosphate, lactic acid (as a preservative), annatto and paprika extract (for color), enzymes, Vitamin A palmitate, cheese culture, and Vitamin D3. Phew

If it says Gruyerd cheese slices (or Cheddar or Leerdammer or whatever) then it’s just cheese, sliced, probably very carefully temperature controlled to reduce crumbling.

If anyone likes, or feeds children who like, very mild cheese, I recommend Lidl Maasdam, nicer than Leerdammer or Edam IMO and very inexpensive. Comes sliced

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 am

I half remember Heston doing something to cheese for a burger. I think it was an attempt at making a processed cheese slice for it, but he didn't blend it with anything iirc, simply some sort of tempering. I can't remember it well enough however. Not that this has got any bearing upon how Kraft make their slices of course.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 pm

I was thinking of Heston too
He had trouble with the cheese, in the end according to online recipes, he made a sort of very thick cheese sauce without flour and set it in sheets. So it was quite processed

He then put it on the bun like cheese on toast, rather than on the burger :?

Personally I use Norrisons extra mature cheddar slices

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Yes, that rather confirms that I didn't remember it properly :roll: , although it's not unknown for TV recipes to differ from what was done on screen.

Postby Binky » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:16 pm

The rolling pin for biscuits looks very Germanic, the sort of thing they excel at.

We used to have a patterned die especially for decorating butter.

I think we used it once.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:57 pm

The nearest I get is a set of holly leaf cutters for lazy Christmas cake decorating

Postby Uschi » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:41 am

Binky, the ones I saw came from China.
Mind you we've always had Spekulatius rollers and molds.
Spekulatius is a thin, crispy and spicy biscuit.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:08 am

I cannot resist these biscuits when I have a coffee.
Sweet almond biscotti I will leave.

The only cutter I have is wheel shaped, for half cutting down into bread rolls before a bake.

Postby scullion » Fri May 28, 2021 4:28 pm

anybody got/used an adjustable cake ring, like one ofthese? (they all look much of a muchness other than price).
i would like to know if they work as baking tins (and large pastry cutters) and if they're worth a punt.

(couldn't find a more relevant topic on gadget info so this one has it).

Postby Wic » Sat May 29, 2021 8:45 am

scullion wrote:anybody got/used an adjustable cake ring, like one ofthese? (they all look much of a muchness other than price).
i would like to know if they work as baking tins (and large pastry cutters) and if they're worth a punt..

I have one. I got it years ago when I needed a size of tin I couldn’t find anywhere. I’ve used it a few times, it's OK, but I wouldn’t go out of your way for one. It’s leaky if you bake a cake, so that’s a nuisance. It is, however, good for drawing circles and you can get a perfectly circular pavlova if you need one.

One of these days it will end up in a charity shop.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:42 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... piralizers

I might , just possibly, have number of these. :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox