Register

Centenary Wines for December 24th

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Centenary Wines for December 24th

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:06 pm

A rota sounds like an excellent idea! My favourite gin is Bombay Sapphire East which was bought in Abu Dhabi. I've never seen it in the UK before but last week saw that it was on Ocado's website - unfortunately out of stock though. Second favourite is Masons Yorkshire Lavender.

Postby Binky » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Ha ha :lol:

As well as a rota, we could bring stuff and have a knees-up.

I can bring olives, homemade bread and EVOO.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:11 pm

I will another having a large gin and Fevertree at the start of the 24th clelbrations. I reckon I'll need it before facing a viking feast in which fine wines will not be likely to feature. There is only so much schnapps I can cope with :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Suffs » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Binky wrote:Ha ha :lol:

As well as a rota, we could bring stuff and have a knees-up.

I can bring olives, homemade bread and EVOO.

Sounds good to me ... I've got a couple of sauscisson sec in the fridge ......

When we're down in Cornwall we find a large glass of Tarquin's Dry Gin and Fevertree goes down very well with a fishy meal :yum

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Much as I like a glass of Tanqueray, my second choice would be Bombay Sapphire ( although I don't think I've tried that East Pampy) & I quite like Brighton Gin - tiny little distillery using all organic, nice in summer...…..but I'll be quite content with a large glass of straight Jack Daniels while I watch you all fight over the gin...…. :thumbsup

Plenty of anchovy or lemon stuffed olives here to bring along too...………..

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Binky,

Marques de Cáceres, one of the oldest La Rioja wineries has produced some remarkably outstanding reds over the years, especially the 1994 and 1995. They were truly astonishly amazing.

If you enjoy La Rioja vintages, here are a few suggestions:

Bodega Muga - La Rioja

Marques de Murrieta - La Rioja

San Faustino - Oyon, La Rioja Alavesa

Have a lovely day .. :wino :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Joan,

Bio Fevertree Tonic is produced by The El Bulli Foundation, Barcelona ..

It is one of the best tonics available ..

It is also available in blue (Mediterranean), transparent, rose ( hibicious & rose if not mistaken ) and spring blossom yellow green (citron = lemon lime) ..

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Well that's the nibbles sorted!

Just looking at the fevertree site, and they not only do ginger beer, they do cucumber tonic.
That's got to be delicious with Tanqueray. A barman at Malmaison in Newcastle told us Tanqueray has to be stirred and served with a cucumber "stick".
Yum!

I've not tried the East before neither.
My blackberry gin looks like it's doing well.

On the wine front, the best red wine I've ever tasted is a Margaux.
That's not to say it's the best wine, but I've not tried any better.

Postby Suffs » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:31 pm

As you can see from the Fevertree website and the link below, it is indeed marketed in Spain via the El Bulli Foundation ... it is however, a British company and a British product https://www.countryandtownhouse.co.uk/f ... warrillow/ and as has been said,

Member 461 wrote: ... It is one of the best tonics available ...

:thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:40 pm

Yip.

We were in the Osborne bodega at Cadiz, lovely place.
& they were proudly responsible for the distribution and marketing of Fevertree for Spain.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:33 pm

I like the Adnam's as well
But tend to drink Tanqueray as Waitrose often put it on offer :D

I really like Tanqueray 10 but only when on offer (usually in duty free)

I just wish Fevertree was not so sweet, I demand an extra dry tonic!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Going back to wine, specifically South African, I've just had an offer for Klein Constantia 2015 the estate red

I'm tempted, I brought back Klein Constantia from SA, it's good.

Postby Luca » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm

For all you gin lovers..... Lidl are having a gin week starting today.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?id ... BritishGin

Postby Renee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 pm

I mostly like the Fevertree tonic with Angostura Bitters, which was used to make Pink Gin.

Thanks for the link Luca, but my Lidl down on the main road is at the foundation staged unfortunately! :lol: I can't wait for it to be built.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Chateaux Margaux, is quite an extraordinary Bordeaux, and some harvest years are better than others like in all wines and are very dependent on the region´s climatic factors.

1982 is quite extraordinary.

Definitely a jewel for New Year´s Eve and / or an anniversary or birthday or other special occasion ..

The 1983 is quite exceptional as well ..

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 pm

The Beverage Corporation of Charles Rolls and Tim Warrillow, The Founders of Fevertree, had sent Ferrán Adrià at the now defunct El Bulli, three Michelin Star restaurant samples of the Fevertree Tonic in 2008 and to Heston Blumenthal.

Both Adrià and Heston Blumenthal had toyed with: Nitrogen Liquid, Gin & Fevertree to créate a Molecular Dessert back in 2008.

The dessert refreshment experimentation and serving at the tables were a huge success, and it was served from 2008 until 2012 at El Bulli.

Adria was endorsing the Fevertree Tonic during that time .. Uncertain if he still is ..

He is involved in a huge legal battle which he is losing .. To re-build the El Bulli Foundation in Barcelona, in Las Rosas on the northern Costa Brava.

The Government of Las Rosas has prohibited Adria from building a scientific laboratory on the property of the old El Bulli due to the closeness of the Nature Resrve National Forest due to the possibility of fires .. They feel it would enivronmentally be disasterous to the entire forested region ..

I do know that Adrià was endorsing Fevertree at his lunch deli boutiques in Barcelona and Madrid years ago .. Many have closed since ..

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Yes, I think we all know who Ferran Adria is

But whether he and Heston endorse Fevertree or not, and IMO it is the best of the standard tonics generally available, it is still far too sugary for my taste, and having talked to a couple of artisan gin makers they also would prefer a drier tonic - some of them think Waitrose own brand is best as it is slightly less sugary

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Sue,

Nordic & Fevertree are the brands we buy, and both are quite refreshing. "Blue" is our preferred ..

Depending where we are having a Gin & Tonic, different bars, hotels and restaurants carry different brands ..

Have a nice evening ..

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 am

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks for that Pampy - I'll keep my eyes open for it - sounds lovely - cheers!!

All this talk of gin has got me wanting to quaff a cocktail - there's a gin tasting bar within walking distance of my house ;) that serves over 100 different gins - you have a couple, usually 4 'sliders' at a time to compare, it's very civilised with chacuterie & cheese - they do a mean cocktail of choice too - think a visit will soon be on the cards!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox