Register

Centenary Wines for December 24th

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Centenary Wines for December 24th

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:53 am

What are you drinking during for Christmas Eve, the 24th ?

Pazo Barrantes: www.pazobarrantes.com
Although the Creixell family has been making its own wines for the last four centuries, it was not until 1991 that the foundations of the current winery were laid. In the lines with the style of the Manor House, the modern installations were fitted with the latest wine making technology. This is so much the case, that this Galician, Cambados, 100% Albariño single varietal, is made of grapes from old vines, that the company has been cultivating on its estate since time memorial ..

Torelló Brut Gran Reserva 2008: www.torello.com
Although their origins as wine makers date back to 1395, the members of the family, renowned the world over, do not live in the past. This brut grand reserve is made of grapes from the Xarel-lo and Macabeo varietals, by Catalonian Designer Custo, with the end result, splendour ..

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Centenary Wines for December 24th

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:18 pm

You make it sound like a wine merchants brochure Member 461!

As we will be with our Danish friends celebrating 24th I am not sure but I am sure champagne will come into it somewhere. Unfortunately I have to be very careful with red wines these days

Otherwise it all depends on what I am cooking and what we have in the cellar. If chocolate is involved I know we have some red vin doux naturelle from Rasteau which is a perfect match
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Joan,

I put together a tiny Pdf formatted brochure for our clients by región and the clients truly enjoy knowing the history of the wineries we visit.

You are savvy in wines and Champagnes surely & I have jotted down your recommendations.

For the 25th and the 31st, we always serve Champagne, however, for the 24th, we always enjoy our Galician Whites and Cava from our locality as my grandmothers and mom do a 7 Course Fish Dinner ..

And we like to do a "madriaje" ( a wine pairing for each of the 7 plates ) .. Albariños are our fave Spanish Whites .. (Cambados, Galicia and O´Rosal, Rias Baixas, Galicia in southern Galicia near Tui and the bridge to Portugal .. )

Thank you for the wine tips for the chocolate !! :clap :clap :clap

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Christmas Eve not being a big celebration in the UK, it varies depending on what happens and who is around

My Dad's personal tradition was to drink up any Beaujolais Nouveau that was hanging around from the Beaujolais race, in the days when that was fashionable.

If it is a sociable event, quite often it is a drinks party, so cocktails, champagne, or cava

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 pm

Double posting removed.
(do you have internet problems, Member 461? Often your posts are repetitious and need deleting).

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Sue, we often drank Beaujollais Noveau on Christmas Eve. It was my dad's favourite too. also we always had rose with the cold buffet on the 26th. That was just to keep us thinking about Provence when in miserable Tyneside!.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:06 pm

Gill it's just happened to me too - a double post I mean. I've deleted the second once

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Sue, we often drank Beaujollais Noveau on Christmas Eve. It was my dad's favourite too. also we always had rose with the cold buffet on the 26th. That was just to keep us thinking about Provence when in miserable Tyneside!.

I wonder if one of the wine writers suggested it? Or possibly even the suppliers

Of course an alternative Christmas Eve tradition is mulled wine, music, and pies in the pub before the midnight carol service - done that a few times too, notably in Helston, Cornwall

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:33 pm

Ah, mulled wine. (Reminder for Bonfire Night.)

I don't know how anyone matches the cacophony of flavours in a Christmas feast dinner, especially taking account of Joanbunting's "signature" quote wisdom of cooking with love for others who undoubtedly have diverse tastes (e.g. red/white, high/low ABV, or beer preference or non-alcoholic). Boxing Day is better for appreciating a wine as cold plates with a single or star flavour tend to be prevalent.

A good choice (meaning selection offered to choose from) of pre and post prandials is good.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Thank you kindly, our Joan.

Last year I was on the prowl to find Franciacorta wine, after seeing Gino dC recommend it above prosecco.

This year, I shall find some Breaky Bottom, as recommended by Olly Smith a few weeks ago, as his favourite English white sparkler.

Otherwise.
We are Taittinger people. I like the others we try.
But T, is just right for us.

Reds, I'll buy a bottle to go with a red meat. But I'm not as fastidious.
This year, as Belgian Endive has recommended a Château de Rochemorin 2008, Pessac-Léognan some time ago.
I shall find, if not the year 2008, certainly the wine.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:06 pm

I've just been reading some interesting information about the wine Gill:

https://eng.andrelurton.com/Our-Wines/O ... Blanc/2008

Postby Binky » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 pm

I would love to be educated about wines. We usually buy the ones with the 'medals' on the neck, but a salesman advised us to be careful as there were all sorts of dodgy wine awards out there.

We will have champagne on Christmas Eve, and I add those 'popper balls' from Lakeland (fruity coloured edible balls) to make it look special. As to wines, no idea until we think about a menu!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:28 am

Gil,

Apologies about that, however, like Joan, it happens ..

It could be the technological but I am uncertain how to delete the 2nd post ..

Have a nice evening .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:30 am

Thank you for all your feedback on wines for the 24th and through the Christmas Holidays .. :wino :wino

Thank you Renée for the link .. Shall definitely find it extraordinarily interesting surely ..

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 am

Something quite interesting ..

The Hambledon Vineyard
Hambledon, Portsmouth
PO7 4RY, England

Oenologist & Sparkling Wine Consultant Hérve Justin
(44) 23 92 63 2358

Mr. Justin is a renowned French Oenologist in Champagne and having been @ Duval Leroy 20 years, he is now advising wineries worldwide, in bio dynamic sparkling wines.

He is the Head Oenologist and the Sparkling Wine Consultant of The Hambledon Vineyard in Hambledon, Portsmouth, England.
Furthermore, he advises on 1st steps through the entire process of sparkling wine (bio dynamic and via horse) all the necessary steps for successful wine making.

They provide wine tasting courses at all levels, wine estate tours and tastings.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:02 am

That’s the nearest vineyard to where I grew up - I used to ride in the Hamble valley in my teens. Hambledon is also the home of the modern game of cricket

That link doesn’t work, here’ one that should

https://www.hambledonvineyard.co.uk/the-wine-shop

I don’t think that address is quite right, it’s near Portsmouth, but not so near that the address would include Portsmouth - this is the correct location

East St, Hambledon, Waterlooville, Hampshire PO7 4RY

They have been making small amounts of wine since 1952, and production has increased a lot. I’ve had it a long time ago, then it was enjoyable but not very special but English grapes and wine have improved a lot since then, I’d certainly try it again. I see it is now stocked by Fortnum and Mason.

Confusingly there is also a good winery at Hambleden near Henley on Thames, but I see they now call themselves Chiltern Wine to avoid confusion. Well worth a visit if in the Thames Valley area, though I think not quite up to Hambledon - it’s a beautiful country location
https://www.chilternvalley.co.uk/

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Sue,

Thank you for all your feedback ..

Hervé Justin´s Sparkling Wines were highly recommended to me by a client of our´s ..

I understand that the sparkling wines he produces are outstandingly remarkable ..

So, reason for posting the data and info ..

Have a lovely day .. :wino :wino

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:05 am

Ooooh to be able to select some fine wines for Christmas!
We shall probably have to do with some of the cheaper wines from Chile or Argentina - if we can afford them.
Santa Carolina produces some excellent wines - their Reserva de Familia ( which is a rough equivalent of a Grand Cru) is phenomenal, but at the current price, it represents about a month´s wages.
The Mendoza family in Argentina markets some excellent wines as well, and the "ordinary" ones - Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère and Merlot - are eminently drinkable. However, they could never be described as fine wines; just good!
We´ll probably have to do with local wines from Pomar.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 am

You'll be fine with ordinary wines, Clive.
As we tend to just have one bottle, there's no point going mad in our house. We've got about 10 bottles unused from previous years.
I hope they are OK.

One bottle of fizz has been in the fridge door taking up valuable real estate since last year.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:27 am

Clive,

There are Miguel Torres Wines, Barcelona Corporation produces in Chile with Chilean grapes, which are always highly esteemed, especially Sangre de Toro, and needless to say, 100% Mendoza Malbec Argentinian Reds (pricey in Spain) are of excellent quality.

All my best wishes for a lovely holiday season ..

Thank you for your feedback ..

Gil the Painter,

Thank you for your feedback ..

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox