Register

Centenary Wines for December 24th

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Centenary Wines for December 24th

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Nowadays even rural pubs in the middle of nowhere have a large selection of gins

This little village pub (now owned/run by the community) miles from anywhere in Norfolk has a good range http://kingsarmsshouldham.co.uk/wp-cont ... N-MENU.jpg

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:35 pm

I bought some Bombay Sapphire East after Pampy recommended it before, really liked it.

The problem with all those tonics is that they are adding unnecessary flavours not taking out any sweetness. I loathe Fentiman’s for example because apart from 3x the required amount of sugar they add extra botanicals. Well, having paid maybe £30 or more for a carefully balanced gin, that’s what I want to taste, not have the flavour coarsened by the addition of stray herbs.

It seems manufacturers are obsessed with adding extra flavours to things that don’t need them - we have discussed before I think how hard it is to find really good plain biscuits for cheese, a mouthful of revolting cheap dried herbs is compulsory now.

Yours sir
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:56 pm

I agree with Sue about flavoured tonics in gin - the only exception is that I like Fever Tree lemon tonic but that's because I like an occasional gin and bitter lemon.

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Oatcakes or water biscuits are my 'go to' everyday biscuits for cheese. Soft cheeses need oatcakes and harder ones have water biscuits ... IMHO ;)

Something's been puzzling me ... the title of this thread ... the word Centenary ... I don't get the reference ... I've reread the original post and I'm still puzzled ... am I missing something?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Spell checker error for Celebratory maybe?

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:42 pm

Ah! Of course! Duh! It hadn’t occurred to me that it was a mistake ... these things happen to the best of us :) but very appropriate on a thread about :wino :chrissytree1 :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Suffs wrote:Something's been puzzling me ... the title of this thread ... the word Centenary ... I don't get the reference ... I've reread the original post and I'm still puzzled ... am I missing something?

Possibly Vintage?? In French it would be "millesime" so that's not so far removed.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 pm

Joan & Sue,

As you know, the original 1st post I wrote to introduce the topic, contains wines or sparkling wines from wineries that date back hundreds of years on ancient grape growing lands ..

Have a lovely lovely weekend .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:56 pm

I see what you mean Member 461, but calling them Centenary wines doesn’t quite work in English, we use it very specifically for the 100 anniversary itself

I think if I was trying to express that intention I might use venerable, long established or just vintage as it’s about wine

Still thinking about that Klein Constantia, which dates back to 1685!

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 pm

"Christmas Eve used to mean meeting with friends in the village local before singing in the choir for Midnight Mass so the drink of choice would have been a couple of pints of Adnams bitter :yum "

Suffs - a chorister after my own heart :wino
Same thing until I was about 23 years old. The only problem was that Midnight Mass often turned into a midnight mess, with the warm, clammy air in the church around 80º proof :o :o :shock:

Adnam´s has to be one of my favourite brewers. When I was back in the UK (briefly) in March, my brother got in 6 bottles of Ghost Ship; surely one of the finest ales I´ve tasted in years!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:23 am

Karakoolaide,

Thank you for your feedback ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Sue,

I cannot re - edit the Title to: Vintage Wines for December 24th, as there is no " edit " button for the thread on the top right .. Only a quote button ..

Thank you and have a lovely evening & weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:11 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:... Adnam´s has to be one of my favourite brewers. When I was back in the UK (briefly) in March, my brother got in 6 bottles of Ghost Ship; surely one of the finest ales I´ve tasted in years!

A favourite here too Clive :thumbsup I'm so lucky to have spent most of my life deep in Adnams country, living within crawling distance of the finest pub in the country http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/laxfield-pub ... -1-5409712 http://lowhouselaxfield.com/ .......... not only that, but my late Aged Ps lived in Southwold where Adnams is still brewed and the air is thick with the perfume of malt and hops 8-)

Postby Binky » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:38 pm

that was an interesting read Suffs - about the Low House. It's a few years since we last visited this pub (as the article says, a much loved and popular place, and a CAMRA regular). We had no idea that it was now a community owned pub. I can't imagine why Adnams would want to sell it - it's a true gem.

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Binky :D It's such a special place. It's been part of my life for over 45 years. We stayed there in the B&B Stables for my daughter's wedding (when the lovely Bob and Linda ran it) ... her father lives in the village ... I helped her get dressed at the Low House (she worked there as a teenager when we lived across the way) and her father walked her and her bridesmaids over the footbridge and up the path from the pub through the churchyard to marry her lovely hub.

Sadly Bob was very ill and passed away not long after ... he is much missed.
'
The next tenants were a disaster, trying to modernise the interior, tarting the old wood panelling up with a 'beach hut style' paint job, the villagers and regulars revolted and the tenants left very quickly afterwards. Adnams found it impossible to find new tenants who understood the place ... thankfully it's been saved by a grand group of regulars and all seems well ... phew! :limbobanana

Postby Alexandria » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Unforgettable Spanish Wines for the 24th, 25th, 31st, 1st & For Those who also Celebrate The Epiphany or The 3 Wisemen :

Designation of Origin: Ribera del Duero
Red: Vega de Sicilia
Name of Wine: Vega de Sicilia Unico

Designation of Origin: Toro, Zamora
Red: Mauro Dos
Name of Wine: Mauro Dos

Designation: La Rioja
Red: Bodegas Murrieta
Name of Wine: Dalmau

Designation: O´ Rosal, Rias Baixas, Galicia
White: Bodega Santiago Ruiz
Name of Wine: Santiago Ruiz

Designation: Haro, La Rioja
Red: Bodega Muga
Name of Wine: Prado Enea

Designation: Ribera del Duero
Red: Bodega Emilio Moro
Name of Wine: Emilio Moro

Designation: Falset, Priorat, Tarragona
Red: Bodega Alvaro Palacio
Name of Wine: Alvaro Palacio Priorat

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox