Register

Dried yeast problem

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Dried yeast problem

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:39 am

Our local flour mill, Marriages, used to stock large drums of SAF Levure yeast for home baking. The tins were 500gm and came from France.

When we called in last week, they are no longer selling them and have a piddling little pack by Dove instead. This is OK for the occasional loaf, but we do four at a time and consequently get through lots of yeast.

Does anyone know if SAF is available elsewhere, and I am happy to buy mail order.

Re: Dried yeast problem

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:31 pm

''Try Amazon ... I've seen it there ...

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Binky, have you asked if Marriages have stopped doing it or have bought in some Dove's because SAF Levure was not available at the time?

I ask because I did a Google search on "buy saf levure" and it came up with wholefoodsonline which said it was out of stock.

Might be worth asking if Marriages will get it in again soon before you shell out for P&P online elsewhere.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:47 pm

I only use fesh yeast which is easily available in the supermarket or the local baker.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby dennispc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Unfortunately our town no longer has a baker and nearest supermarket selling yeast is Sainsbury’s, usually a forty minute drive there and back. Couple of weeks ago bought 200gs fresh yeast for 60p. I make little sachets of 10g each and they go in the freezer. Two used yesterday.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:51 am

Seems to be available here
https://www.thehealthery.com/Dcl-Saf-Levure-Active-Dried-Yeast?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq5n9idys3gIVSLDtCh0gbABAEAQYASABEgKejPD_BwE

And as Suffolk says on Amazon - but I see that SAF Levite is DCL active dried yeast, and I think DCL probably make for everyone

Postby dennispc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:28 am

Slightly off topic but on the BB site I noticed this, Please add the yeast to the water before adding to the flour.

For interest I treat all yeast the same, measure it into the flour, mix it in and add the water. Fresh yeast, crumble (following Richard Bertinet), mix and add water. Frozen yeast - make a well in the flour, put in straight from freezer, add small quantity and puddle around then add the rest.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox