Register

What would you cook in this?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

What would you cook in this?

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:13 pm

A friend of mine has just treated himself to one of these. What would be the first dish you'd fancy trying out on it?

P.S. I just looked up the price of that casserole - £229!!!!!!! Goodness gracious! (Well that's not actually what I said...)

Re: What would you cook in this?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Something meaty requiring long slow cooking after an initial browning - a beef bourguignon, a coq au vin or lamb shanks

I kept seeing TV cooks using them, and thought I'd like one, then I realised I couldn't afford one, and didn't want to lift one, So I got a similarly shaped Green Pan with a glass lid, it's cast aluminium so transfers heat just as well but weighs a lot less And I like the glass lid. Not sure they make the exact one I have, but they do similar, paid about £40 iirc.. Also works well for paella, risotto etc without the lid

What I'd really like is the Le Creuset tri ply stainless steel one - in fact they do it in 3 sizes, the 30 cm one like my green pan is £180 but the 24 cm one is £130.. Surprised the 30 cm is less than the enamel one

Postby Suffs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 pm

What would I cook in there? Braised oxtail with onions, carrots and celery and a lovely rich gravy :yum

We have a very similar cast iron pot ... no name on it and bought from TK Maxx some fifteen years ago for peanuts.

Postby Renee » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:22 pm

Good heavens … the price has gone up! I used to have a very large Le Creuset pan with the words "Marmite a Confiture" on it, which I used to make jam and Seville Orange marmalade. It was in a sale at a shop in Oldham. I dread to think how much that would cost now.

https://i.imgur.com/6tGf35F.jpg
Last edited by Renee on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:32 pm

I am inclined to believe any type of stew would work well ..

Bouillabaisse .. I have my maternal grandmother´s and prepare my Bouillabaisse in a similar style ..

Pasta Fagioli with Chickpeas ..

Pot Roast ..

Cassoulet ..

Rabo de Toro, Spanish Oxtail ..

Beef Short Ribs ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:40 pm

which I used to make jam and Seville Orange marmalade
£229 to make jam! :-(

There was video I posted on here a while back of a famous French chef who did most of his demonstrations on a £9.99 camping gas stove, I can't remember who it was, can anyone remember who it might have been? He had a very similar oven dish that he swore by and had designed himself. Can't find it on here, maybe it was the old board, but I didn't think it was that long ago.

I don't think it was Robuchon or Gagnaire...

Postby Renee » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:50 pm

I bought it a very long time ago, back in the 80s I would think and can't remember how much I paid for it, but it was fairly affordable at the time.

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:26 am

I have one of those. It's great for casseroles and stews.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:50 am

Here you go, Sakkers: http://www.carta.co.uk/foodforum/viewto ... ing#p55859

(advance search camping + Sakkers)

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:05 am

It is a purchase for life, Sakkarin.
I've got loads. 12 pieces, if I stop counting. But they were a reasonable price in my day, as Renee says.
I occasionally have to replace the chipped knobs, if there's not much left to grab hold of.

The first thing I'd cook in it is leg au lamb, if it fits.

It never fits in any of my other lidded ware, the tip of the leg always sticks out, even though they are oval shaped.
I would hope for that price the leg would fit in this one.

My round big heavy one is from Aldi. £19.99. And a deeper one.
I walked 2 miles in the snow to get one for Christmas cooking. And carried it back on my back in the snow.

But they are chipped.

There's no comparison with le C. to be honest.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks for all your suggestions, and particularly for that link Gill! Let's see what else surfaces before I make my decision what to suggest to him...

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Beef Rendang.
Asado Negro ( it´s made with a cut of beef called " Eye of the Round" or " Heel of the round")
Sabuut Raan ( slow-cooked spiced lamb)
Chili con Carne, Texas style.
Cochinito Pibil.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Something’s in the air Rev Richard Coles has a Twitter thread about vintage Le Creuset and whether colours other than Volcanic Orange are acceptable

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Ah, if you are looking to fire off suggestions to your chum, this is Indian yoghurt spiced rubbed coriander lamb.
In the Aldi lidded pot.

I've got a vintage orange frying pan, Sue. It's more black than orange now.
The handle is long gone, but I can use it for pizzas, 30cms.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Haaaa! Just the knob is twenty two quid! £26.95 with P&P.

https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/signature-s ... steel-knob

Postby patpoyntz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:20 pm

I have 3 of these pans, (2 were gifts), and I love them, they are my favourite cooking pots. They are so versatile...they brown food so well, and simmer gently without catching, I find them just right for a small paella. In the oven, with or without the lid they are great, especially for something like a chicken thigh bake, where you want everything in one layer. First time of use...well for something special, maybe an osso bucco, cooked in the oven, for a more every day meal, a lovely ragu, gently simmering away for hours.

Postby Binky » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:48 pm

it seems to me that these particular pans are great for meat cookery...which we don't do. Also, back when we did cook meat, the Le Creuset pan was mighty heavy, and a right nuisance in my opinion.

Finally, and maybe this is sacrilege, but they are not 'for life' as the interior becomes discoloured and the knobs drop off (ooh missus)

Postby miss mouse » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Binky wrote:Finally, and maybe this is sacrilege, but they are not 'for life' as the interior becomes discoloured and the knobs drop off (ooh missus)

Knobs dropping off was easy to solve. I was given some 'hand-me-downs' as a gracious gift and the insides were awful. Luckily back then the scrap metal man took them away gleefully. Sainsbo do some nice and much cheaper cast iron stuff.

Postby patpoyntz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:30 pm

Binky wrote:it seems to me that these particular pans are great for meat cookery...which we don't do. Also, back when we did cook meat, the Le Creuset pan was mighty heavy, and a right nuisance in my opinion. )

I use mine a lot for vegetable curries and dhals, also vegetable bakes, especially if I want a nice crusty top. But I do agree that they are very heavy, however in spite of my great age, I haven’t found that to be a problem...yet! And I haven’t lost any knobs so far.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:41 pm

They are showing Korean Food Made Simple again on Food Network

Judy is using one of these casseroles instead of the traditional hot stone pan to make bibimbap, family sized

Seems like a really good idea to me

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.foodnetwork.co.uk/amp/recipes/biggest-and-best-bibimbap.html

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox